very worrying only 140k left under the cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: very worrying only 140...

Post by jaws1 »

standishwarrior posted:
jaws1 posted:
Heard an interview on Radio Manchester with Leneghan next season not looking rosy not much left under salary cap????? he is looking to strenghen the side in 2009.He will be involved at Wigan for 2 1/2 days a week he says that Nobby,Lydon and himself will have to sit down and plan which players are required.

just heard it myself then. it doesnt fill you with much confidence does it really?sounds like the wages ect are in a right mess.

Just shows what a shambles MO and DV has left us in .
What came over is he is committed to Wigan RL and wants success maybe not next season who knows we could be back at the top again in a couple of years.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

wigan/pier posted:
Millionaire businessman Ian Lenagan completed his takeover of Wigan and immediately dashed hopes of a spending spree.

Lenagan, who made his fortune by floating his software company on the Stock Exchange in 2000, revealed that coach Brian Noble will have just £140,000 to spend on new players for next season because of salary-cap restrictions that dogged the previous administration.

That does not sound like we have any class signings already lined up...we could end up with a weaker squad than last season...gone DV..Fletch..millard..withers..ashton..in coley not looking as good as I hoped..but only time will tell. :conf:
Why would we end with a weaker squad than last year alwright Fletcher and DV ,MIllard are gone Ashton and Withers went well before the end of the season finished and were replaced by Richards moving to fullback and Colbon given his chance on the wing .We all know what happened at the run in last year we beat some good sides along the way
The concensus on this forum was that MCIllurum should be in the side and would be a good replacement for Millard .
Coley has been signed to replace Fletcher
Which leaves us to sign a centre and if any money left a nother prop.
Poster

Re: very worrying only 140k le...

Post by Poster »

One aspect of the 140k is what it tells us about this season 07. Lets say that Coley is on the same money as Fletch then it therefore means that,Ashton,Millard,Vaealiki,and Whithers were only on 140k between them. If this was not the case then we will have been over the Cap this season and thus double points deduction next year. Although there is no relegation it also means starting from a minus points position.We can forget about deferred payments and credits these are the figures that no doubt have been a factor in the delayed take over.
Spanakopitta

Post by Spanakopitta »

what justification / reasoning is behind the credit note being spread over 4 years? When has this been announced?

oh sorry i forgot the RFL weren't making the rulings of wigan's salary cap hearing public :angry:

transparent my ar*e

oh and if we're already going fingers crossed that we don't get many injuries next season .. cue huge injury crisis by about mid march.

sorry to be so negative must have S.A.D. or something
GEER EM ONSIDE
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

DaveO posted:

I just can't see how £110K aded to DV's wage (conservative estimate £140K) and Fletchers (conservative estimate £80K) can have been spent on the rest of the squad already. That means about £190K was "deferred" if we have only £140K left to spend.

Dave
It's very worrying when you think about it.

My mate was at the press conference and i got chance to talk to him about what was said last night. In the conference Lenagan said we only had 140k left to spend this year which seems way short of what we would think. He also said we got a credit note last year for 47k which added to the 140k means that the players that left must have been on about 187k between them! or where they?

I just can't se how these lot were only on that between them-

Vaealiki
Fletcher
Millard
Withers
Ashton

The only other explanation when all comes to all is that these players weren't on that between them and infact they were on alot more. The problem with that being we must have broke the salary cap again.

Hate to think it but we must have(even with the credit note) :o :angry:

Scary to think the wages Mo must have been paying to the likes of Fielden and Barrett.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

jolleymike posted:
way i read it is that we only have £140K left to keep us under the cap.

so i think that this is before we sign any new blood
I would ask where has all the money gone? we have released 5 players from the salary cap and some of the fringe players are out on loan probably never to return, plus we had a credit note from the RFL for £230 000 so where is it? If we have no signings to announce. It would be nice if our new owner explained to the paying fans the reason why we only have £140 000 left.
adam

Post by adam »

ddtftf posted:
jolleymike posted:

I would ask where has all the money gone? we have released 5 players from the salary cap and some of the fringe players are out on loan probably never to return, plus we had a credit note from the RFL for £230 000 so where is it? If we have no signings to announce. It would be nice if our new owner explained to the paying fans the reason why we only have £140 000 left.
ddtftf posted:
jolleymike posted:

ddtftf posted:
jolleymike posted:

if fletcher,dv,millard have left at the end of the season and ashton and whithers left at the half way point of the season were has the money gone to, becuase we need a centre which people are suggesting that it might be matt cooper and we need some one with pace on the wing instead of colbon. :eh:
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It doesn't need explaining though!

we have 140k left because Lyndsey pays the players too much and we've broken the salary cap again even with our credit note.

Lenagan can't do nothing about the mess he's been left with apart from grit his teeth and bare it for a year then when 3/4 of the squad are off contract at the end of the season re-structure the whole wage set up.
thomo

Post by thomo »

I think it is a double bluff as someone said earlier - tell everyone wigan has no money so any signings think there ia lack of cash and resources available and then wouldn't hold the club to ransom as they have in previous years.
Spend what money we do have on bulking up the kids - prescott/hansen/o'carroll etc
Very much of topic but when was the last time the wigan academy produced a big tough young forward who was build like a tank?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

thomo posted:
Very much of topic but when was the last time the wigan academy produced a big young forward who was build like a tank?
Ricky Bibey

Neil Baynes :o :)