Matt Cooper

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CherryandWhiteandProud

Matt Cooper

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

Could be a useful player- partnerships Colbon/Cooper Goulding/Caulderwood. So both sides have an experienced player maybe. We could do with a bit of Aussie style play on our wings- it would do Colbon good to have a really good centre while he's still fair new. Still nothings been commited yet- and salery cap may be a problem if we want to bring any more quality players.
DaveO

Re: Matt Cooper

Post by DaveO »

pieater-alex posted:
Nobby has just said on granada reports he definately wants to bring in 1 or 2 new players.
That is not enough we need at least three players but if he can get Cooper and another player for £140K for the pair I will be amazed.

I said quite some while back Coley may be our only signing but if I was right I will be very disappointed.

I have already bought my season tickets but I can't see the comments from Lenegan about having £140K left to spend starting a rush once they go on open sale.

Dave
windy

Post by windy »

With the cash available can we afford Cooper
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

its not about the cash, its about the salary cap
To be the best
you have to beat the best
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I would say a prop is the most important player we need
then center followed by a fullback .
The team we finished the season with as basically lost DV Fletch and Millard /Goulding Coley and Macalorum can replace those three if we add a good prop and a center we will just about be stronger than this year but only just we need Lulu Hock and Hansen to kick on , the young props with another off season under the belts and we may even have a bit more cash if we lose Hill or Tomkins :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pieater-alex posted:
However I do believe we will sign at least 1 more player, but it does make you think our squad is so small who the major earners are that take up all of the cap.
Barrett, Fielden, Richards, Bailey, Calderwood are my guesses for the high earners. The likes of Hock, Lockers, Feka, Higham are next with the others below them in the money order.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It would be madness to go for Cooper as that all we'd get. Cooper alone is not enough and just signing him would be the sort of amazing error i'd expect Mo to make. It won't happen under the new chairman.

The likes of Cooper are players that should maybe be targeted now for contracts in the 2009 season.

We in the meantime need to target a few players who'd be happy trying to prove themselves on one year deals ala Grose.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I'm guessing that Trent may well be getting a decent pay rise as he will no longer be subsidised by St George.

We know that other players were given improved contracts as part of the highly successful 'contract negotiations'. I guess thereefore that many of those 10 players are on more money this year.

We know we were running at £250K under the cap last year.
DV (100?), Fletch(100?), Millard(40?),Withers(40?),Ashton(30?) have gone.
Approx. 300K? freed up?
Leaves £550K for this year in new players and improved contracts.

£140 available
£60?Coley?

This means £350K is unacounted for. I can't believe that we have increased existing players contracts from last year by £350K.

Therefore I'm assuming that the £140K quoted does not include an offer on the table to at least 1 other player.

As a businessman - Ian is hardly likely to say in the middle of negotiations for new players "yes - we have loads of space under the cap - I can hardly spend it all".
I hope anyway !

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Big Steve posted:
I'm guessing that Trent may well be getting a decent pay rise as he will no longer be subsidised by St George.

We know that other players were given improved contracts as part of the highly successful 'contract negotiations'. I guess thereefore that many of those 10 players are on more money this year.

We know we were running at £250K under the cap last year.
DV (100?), Fletch(100?), Millard(40?),Withers(40?),Ashton(30?) have gone.
Approx. 300K? freed up?
Leaves £550K for this year in new players and improved contracts.

£140 available
£60?Coley?

This means £350K is unacounted for. I can't believe that we have increased existing players contracts from last year by £350K.

Therefore I'm assuming that the £140K quoted does not include an offer on the table to at least 1 other player.

As a businessman - Ian is hardly likely to say in the middle of negotiations for new players "yes - we have loads of space under the cap - I can hardly spend it all".
I hope anyway !
I thought it strange that he would say that as well. He's supposed to be a shrewd business man yet tells a prospective player what we have left to pay someone :conf:
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

If this deal is closer than he's letting on maybe his counted Cooper as expandsiture- assuming he'll come. If you read the report on wingan today it says- Coley the only Complted Signing yet to be unveiled- suggesting there is more of them.