Mary Maurie quite contrary

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Mary Maurie quite contrary

Post by ancientnloyal »

I may have spelt 'contrary' wrong.

I for one, although he scored, will not applaud that. I will never cheer him in any GB side as he is not British. This is not racism it's nationalism and what does it say to our youngsters?

Appauled.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Re: Mary Maurie quite contrary

Post by medlocke »

couldn'y believe all the fans going wild when he scored, it's a disgrace, i thought to myself "if that had been Trent Barrett playing due to his uncle being from Oswaldtwistle the whole of rugby league would have been up in arms (seeing he is a Wigan player)", but seeing as Mary is a stains player it seems to be ok. If mary had had British ancestry then i wouldn't mind, but he ain't so he should not be playing, this is the death of interanational rugby in this country IMO
ancientnloyal

Re: Mary Maurie quite cont...

Post by ancientnloyal »

It has happened in the Antipodes, isnt MoiMoi (i like the way eddie says his name btw) not from new zealand or something similar? It happens a lot australia/ nz, samoa, fiji etc... but not for Great britain please to the standards that Mary has set.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

i heard boos when he scored and when he touches the ball.

i dont care how well he does, he isnt british and this kind of thing is frowned upon in club rugby when our british talent gets pushed out. now it happens for country aswel? whats going on?!
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

- psycho - posted:
i heard boos when he scored and when he touches the ball.

i dont care how well he does, he isnt british and this kind of thing is frowned upon in club rugby when our british talent gets pushed out. now it happens for country aswel? whats going on?!
Maybe we've got an overseas quota for GB now.... :lol:
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Eddie and Stevo are creaming themselves over him, i just wonder if they would have been all excitable if it had been Feka or another south seas islander who doesn't play for Stains, i seem to recall the uproar when Withers had a sniff a few years back
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Is it just me or did anyone else notice how, even when GB is playing, Eddie and Stevo are still obviously biased in their comments towards Saints players. When Roby knocked on over the line and after he had made another couple of mistakes. They couldn't help themselves in reiterating that he was MOS and if he had been wearing a Stains shirt, he would have scored a hatful last night. When Lockers nailed Moimoi they didn't even say a word.

Back on to the Fa'asavalu thread, when I first posted, last week, that he had been picked in the squad it was a disgrace. I think he is a great impact player and is a huge asset to the Stains team, but at the end of the day he isn't british and should never even be considered for selection. I would love to have a player of his impact that we can bring off the bench but to use someone who has only lived over here for 4 years is appaling. What about some of the players that have missed out due to his selection. As much as I hate to say it, Fozzard has been really good for Stains this season and he didn't even get a look in. Then there's langley, Jones-buchanan etc.

I totally disagree with Tony Smith's comments that Mary has only ever played his rugby in this country and has made a pledge to GB, what difference does that make? I know this thing goes on in other countries (Brent Webb was born and raised in Aus) and the cricket team like nothing better than a few overseas players, but this should not be happening. The only thing that football seems to have got right is that if you play for a national team, you can't play for another nationality.

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Sutty posted:
Is it just me or did anyone else notice how, even when GB is playing, Eddie and Stevo are still obviously biased in their comments towards Saints players. When Roby knocked on over the line and after he had made another couple of mistakes. They couldn't help themselves in reiterating that he was MOS and if he had been wearing a Stains shirt, he would have scored a hatful last night. When Lockers nailed Moimoi they didn't even say a word.

Back on to the Fa'asavalu thread, when I first posted, last week, that he had been picked in the squad it was a disgrace. I think he is a great impact player and is a huge asset to the Stains team, but at the end of the day he isn't british and should never even be considered for selection. I would love to have a player of his impact that we can bring off the bench but to use someone who has only lived over here for 4 years is appaling. What about some of the players that have missed out due to his selection. As much as I hate to say it, Fozzard has been really good for Stains this season and he didn't even get a look in. Then there's langley, Jones-buchanan etc.

I totally disagree with Tony Smith's comments that Mary has only ever played his rugby in this country and has made a pledge to GB, what difference does that make? I know this thing goes on in other countries (Brent Webb was born and raised in Aus) and the cricket team like nothing better than a few overseas players, but this should not be happening. The only thing that football seems to have got right is that if you play for a national team, you can't play for another nationality.
Its how State of origin works which is one of the best competitions in the world. Its not as if GB and International Rugby in general is thriving and to be honest if it makes us a bit more competitive then so be it. To be honest I don't think anywhere near as much fuss would have been made if his name was Smith and he didn't look 'quite as foreign'. The Aussies and New zealanders have had South Sea Islanders playing for them for years due to various rules, why shouldn't we.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

warriors10

Re: Mary Maurie quite contrary

Post by warriors10 »

ancientnloyal posted:
I may have spelt 'contrary' wrong.

I for one, although he scored, will not applaud that. I will never cheer him in any GB side as he is not British. This is not racism it's nationalism and what does it say to our youngsters?

Appauled.
I know!
i think i should be allowed to play for Australia because i went on holiday there once! :D
stupid rule, end of the day he isnt british
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

i think its a disgrace him playing for g.b he aint british!it proves what a joke our sport is if some1 who's lived here for 3years can be considered eligable to play for our national team. if were relying on people like him to improve the gb team then its proof of how poor british superleague is