2007 Salary Cap - we must be over

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dave Q

2007 Salary Cap - we must be over

Post by Dave Q »

Just been away for a few days and been reading about the £140k left on the cap for next season (and this is with DV, Fletch etc leaving) - there is NO WAY we could have been within the cap last season; looks like we should get ready for another points deduction.
ancientnloyal

Re: 2007 Salary Cap - we must...

Post by ancientnloyal »

we've added Coley.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Cruncher

Re: 2007 Salary Cap - we must...

Post by Cruncher »

Dave Q posted:
Just been away for a few days and been reading about the £140k left on the cap for next season (and this is with DV, Fletch etc leaving) - there is NO WAY we could have been within the cap last season; looks like we should get ready for another points deduction.
There are good reasons why we've not got as much room left as we thought this year. Read some of the other threads. I'm too tired to regurgitate them all now.
TRICKY DICKY

Re: 2007 Salary Cap - we ...

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

Not really.

Work it out

Fletcher out - Coley in - Same money.

Withers out - Additional 80k to Barrett this year. - Withers wage gone.

Ashton out - Improved new deals for Goulding, Colbon and Prescott, coyle and kavanagh. Ashtons wage + some of Millards gone.

Vaealiki & Millard out - Vaealiki wage and remainder of millards + £140k.

This is not beyond belief. It is what happens when you develop your own players and they get to the point of naturally commanding higher wages.

ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TRICKY DICKY posted:
Additional 80k to Barrett this year.
Why are people assuming that because St. George paid Barrett last year that Wigan are going to take over those payments in 2008?

The arrangement Barrett had was with St. George that if he left and he went anywhere where his new contract paid him less than his one with St. George then St. George made up the difference up until what would have been the end of his St. George contract.

That means Barrett's contract at Wigan was for less money than he was on at St. George. We know this to be true.

However it doesn't follow that next year Wigan will increase Barrett's contract to match his old one at St. George.

Dave
thomo

Post by thomo »

coley must cost less than Fletcher - he was experience aussie internional, state of origan player
What is coley GB squad member who hasn't played and at 29 we are not signing potential
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

thomo posted:
coley must cost less than Fletcher - he was experience aussie internional, state of origan player
What is coley GB squad member who hasn't played and at 29 we are not signing potential
all we can hope is he steps up his game alot!considering the state of finances at the mo he could be a usefull signing!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

standishwarrior posted:
thomo posted:
all we can hope is he steps up his game alot!considering the state of finances at the mo he could be a usefull signing!
Castleford have just signed Mark Edmonson from Salford, and I'm wondering if they haven't got the better of the deal WRT the Salford players. Coley's never lived up to the hype in my opinion, whilst Edmo has always been a dangerous player who could have covered 2nd row and prop like Fletcher. Coley's got to improve a lot to be worth the investment, and I just hope we've not got another Brett Goldspink/Brady Malam type prop who does now't for much of the season.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

he could turn out to be the bargin buy of the season. we can only give him a chance.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

standishwarrior posted:
he could turn out to be the bargin buy of the season.
Assuming he is cheap, of course. If he's on 100k then he's certainly not any kind of bargain...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]