London Broncos cheating again

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

London Broncos cheating again

Post by ian.birchall »

I see on tonights teletext review of the next three clubs that London Broncos having had a terrible season last year are showing 11 new aussie signings for this season.
How long does their exemption from the overseas signings rule last???
I only ask because I want to know :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Re: London Broncos cheating ag...

Post by GeoffN »

As far as I can remember, they originally were allowed 15, reduced to 11 in about 2002, and then to 9 last year and this. Not sure about their makeup now, regarding who counts in the 9.
*!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!*

Post by *!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!* »

would that not effect their salary cap im probarbly wrong becuase i dont get salary caps but still :roll: lol x
WIGAN TILL I DIE!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
I see on tonights teletext review of the next three clubs that London Broncos having had a terrible season last year are showing 11 new aussie signings for this season.
How long does their exemption from the overseas signings rule last???
I only ask because I want to know :exc:
The number of Aussies they can sign has gone down but I think they are "doing a Bradford" and signing overseas players who don't count on the quota for various reasons.

In fact I am pretty sure I read somewhere a senior official from the Broncos said this was exactly what they were doing and that they were merely taking advantage of the rules and so were not bothered about the number of "Aussies" that gave them in their team.

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GepffN and Dave, I'm afraid you are both missing the point of my moan. I know about their exemptions from the rules that the rest of us have to abide by, I just want someone to tell me why they have this exemption after so long in Superleague.
Interestingly enough it would appear that Wigans efforts to get around the same rules by signing an Italian passport carrying Assie prop did not go down with the Fates.
At least they are matched by Wakefield who in their 2005 squad have 11 Antipodeans plus 2 Frenchmen, hopefully they will suffer for that as well, although of course they benefited from that last year. :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

GeoffN

Re: London Broncos cheatin...

Post by GeoffN »

It comes down to opinions on expansion, really. They wouldn't have survived in SL without the exemption, and the same reasoning will apply to UTC next year. I admit to being disappointed at the number of 'home-grown' players in the London side, but it does take a long time to set up a similar infrastructure to what we have in the North, where kids take up the game at age 6, and are playing competitive games at that age.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, you are too kind, they had more home produced players last season than this, that is going back not forward in my book.

trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

I agree Ian as i heard on boots n all near end of last season that London now has more Rugby League Teams in there Area than there is in Castleford. so work it out there must be homegrown talen down on London. I just wishes that they Taught rugby league up here in Scotland as kids would flock to it as opposed to union or footie.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

trotski_tgwu posted:
I agree Ian as i heard on boots n all near end of last season that London now has more Rugby League Teams in there Area than there is in Castleford
I didn't see this, but did they mention the ages of these teams? It's no good for the Broncos if there are 100 local teams if they're all under-12's.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
GepffN and Dave, I'm afraid you are both missing the point of my moan. I know about their exemptions from the rules that the rest of us have to abide by, I just want someone to tell me why they have this exemption after so long in Superleague.
It's my understanding thatit was agreed when they were put in SL and that it is only recent seasons that it has tarted to reduce. They are now compensating for the reduction by signing Aussies who don't count on the quota.

Dave