Sonny Or Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Sonny Or Faz

Post by thegimble »

Fair point re Carney, id be surprised if he is there next season as his injuries are now becoming a problem.

What everyone seems to me missing out if he said he wanted to stay then the problem is over with. In the end its his decision. Can some of us stop blaming the club as the blame is equal on both parts.

It seems that his injury is worse than we are been told and in my opinion that why they let him talk to the RFU.

The replacement is already there why have they not replaced Davico - they have signed someone but will not let us know until Faz has signed with the RFU

Do not get me wrong i think a fully fit Faz is irreplacable but we can not carry anymore injured players in the club and that includes Carney, as this has cost us silverware in the last 2 years.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
What everyone seems to me missing out if he said he wanted to stay then the problem is over with. In the end its his decision. Can some of us stop blaming the club as the blame is equal on both parts.

It seems that his injury is worse than we are been told and in my opinion that why they let him talk to the RFU.
I've said earlier in this thread, but FARRELL HASN'T GONE YET!!! He hasn't agreed anything, so there's no-one to blame but the RFU for trying to poach our players, and even then can you really blame them the way the England team is playing at the moment? No-one has asked Farrell publically for his response so he hasn't had the chance to tell us if he wants to stay or not. Even if he turns this down, which I hope he will, he would wait until all parties are ready to make an announcement rather than dismissing the RFU approach too early. If he turns them down now, he might still be interested in changing codes again in a couple of years when his contract is up but if he's been too quick to write them off now then they won't be interested again at a later date.

As for the injury, if it was 'worse than we're being told' then the RFU wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. They wouldn't want to pay big (in RL terms) money for someone who can't play due to injuries.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
The replacement is already there why have they not replaced Davico - they have signed someone but will not let us know until Faz has signed with the RFU
I missed this point, but unless you know a way to grow prop forwards on trees, it's possible the reason Davico hasn't been replaced is (a) the lack of available replacements, (b) they will have had to wait for the insurance company to agree on the seriousness of the injury so that the player can be compensated and his contract written off. Until that point, he would still have been registered under the salary cap with all the other restrictions on not being able to bring in new players. These things take time, and it's only been a few days since the club announced Davico was being released.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
No, sorry the club will be complicit if he leaves and should be taken to task about it. He is their player with two years to run on his contract and in the end it is their decision if he can leave. Farrell can say he wants out but the club must agree to it.

I am not sure why the RFU wold want a crock if his injury is worse than expected but as to the Davico replacement he is now in France having returned from the RU sevens trying to negotiate a release from a contract at Brive RU.

He hasn't joined yet because he wasn't in the country and able to conclude matters.
Do not get me wrong i think a fully fit Faz is irreplacable but we can not carry anymore injured players in the club and that includes Carney, as this has cost us silverware in the last 2 years.
Our bad luck with injuries has been the problem and while we have had some long term such as Carney and Farrell it's as much about bad management as well (Farrell should have been operated on months ago).

Dave
ellery

Post by ellery »

I think the point is Farrell may decide to go! I would be very disappointed if Wigan were not plannning for a "replacement" and Sonny Bill IS the best young player in the WORLD at the moment. In my opinion he is the best I've seen since Hanley. In the past halcion days we would have signed him and I think it would show the rugby world that the sleeping giant, that is Wigan, is stirring again.
Don`t forget that in the past Wigan had the knack of off-loading players at the right time and replacing them with players who fitted into some great Wigan teams. It may be a case of the King is dead Long live the King!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ellery posted:
I think the point is Farrell may decide to go! I would be very disappointed if Wigan were not plannning for a "replacement" and Sonny Bill IS the best young player in the WORLD at the moment. In my opinion he is the best I've seen since Hanley. In the past halcion days we would have signed him and I think it would show the rugby world that the sleeping giant, that is Wigan, is stirring again.
I am sure if there were no salary cap Wigan would make a huge offer for SBW but not with the salary cap they won't.
Don`t forget that in the past Wigan had the knack of off-loading players at the right time and replacing them with players who fitted into some great Wigan teams. It may be a case of the King is dead Long live the King!
They did have the knack of off-loading players at the right time but over recent years we have been reduced to signing players who we once considered too old. For example Davico. For a short time Wigan didn't renew the contract of any player over 30 (it cost Steve Hampson his place) and I remember having a moan when we seemed to start signing 30 somethings again.

I think the club has little alternative but to do that because the slary cap brings you down to a level as well as allowing teams lower down to catch up.

So as regards SBW the kind of money being talked about is insane in today's salary cap world.

Dave
mario

Post by mario »

I can't see SBW leaving Canterbury. They look to have the potential of being champions for the next few years.Whatever extra money he'll get in wages hear, i'm sure he would make up for in sponsership in Aus.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

How can you choose betwen a legend and someone who has the potential to be a legend? Faz is a great player and leader and sbw shows these potentials as much as i'd like faz to stay and sbw to come you just cant choose between them
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3