Captain

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Captain

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Ok i know what your thinking groan! another lockers shouldn't be captain thread!. But no.

After reading a spot on cas on the BBC and their 3 captains i wonder why Wigan dont employ the same idea. Having Barrett and Lockers as joint captain. I think that Lockers could benifit from having a lil pressure took off him by the experience of Barrett. It would be no disgrace for lockers to have a little help from barrett, and would allow barrett to chat to the ref (unless the RFL ahve a rule to stop this), i just think it would be something worth considering to help lockers more than anything as its such a massive job to captain the Wigan side, esp given the likes of captain we have had.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ancientnloyal

Re: Captain

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think that we do have our captains on the pitch. O'Loughlin is our club captain and is the one who speaks to the ref. That isnt a problem. We have players like Barrett who motivate the players behind the sticks, on the field and is our main creator. All the players talk to each other at some point during the match they dont need to shout.

We do have something similar to Castleford but there's no point making a story in the press about it. I think most people know already whats what more or less with this 'captaincy' issue.

IMO O'loughlin keep as one and only captain, he's a Wigan lad, GB international and a #13.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

fair point
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I can see what you're saying. It works in the NFL... I remember, perhaps the first thing I remember something similar, Jamie Redknapp was Liverpool club captain yet Robbie Fowler (or whoever else playing that day) was the team captain wearing the armband.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal posted:
I can see what you're saying. It works in the NFL... I remember, perhaps the first thing I remember something similar, Jamie Redknapp was Liverpool club captain yet Robbie Fowler (or whoever else playing that day) was the team captain wearing the armband.
The NFL's not a fair analogy, though; if only because there are effectively 3 different teams on show (offence, defence & "special team"), so they'd really have to have at least 3 "captains".
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Haven't the Stains named three captains too?

I think that this is more of a necessity, seeing as none can be guaranteed to play more than 50% of the season with their past injury problems. :wink:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

When i went to Bradford for the friendly you could hear a lot players shouting instructions to each other they all seemed to be captains.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Another quote I like: "Too Many Chiefs, not enough Indians"! :D
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

[quote]Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
Ok i know what your thinking groan! another lockers shouldn't be captain thread!. But no.

I am a Lockers fan, and told him when he was captain of under 21's and England team that he would one day be captain of Wigan Warriors, he didn't think he would but my prediction came true.
Barrett's opinion on Lockers is "he is fantastic player and very underated as people do not realise what he does in play".
He is a Wigan lad and I rate him very highly.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

dont know if you mis-understood my first line as it isn't too clear i was saying, no to the fact it wasn't just another thread stating that lockers shouldn't be captain, i persoanlly also rate lockers and think he will be a great captain with time, as he isn't a bad one now, my post was just that maybe if barrett was named as joint captain it could take some of that pressure off him and let him develop.