Re: St.Helens offered Sonny Bi...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: St.Helens offered Sonn...

Post by mrs_carney »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
In my opinion the only reason Mason gets anywhere is because players keep insisting on tackling him around the shoulders which you can't do with someone that size. As soon as someone puts a finger on his legs he falls down hard.
I have always thought that, i mean obviously his size is a good thing but otherwise he's not anything really
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:Most of you will remember Brett Kenney,Greg Dowling,John Ferguson,Ellery Hanley,Joe Lydon and even Wally Lewis although he never played a game for wigan nevertheless Wigan attracted big names with and paid some big money so why cant we do it now?
You have got to remember when the likes of Kenny came over it was on short term deals in the Aussie off season. They were flown back in for the 1985 final specially.

They were not signed on long term contracts for Wigan and so did not give up their (than as it was) ARL career for a career in the UK.

With the seasons running at the same time now there is no chance of getting such players on short term deals.
There is also little chance of getting current Aussie test stars to come here on a full time contract because that costs them their test jersey.

So players like Vaelikis who could still be eligable for a game for NZ if he proves himself are the best we are likely to get.
Yes i know where salary capped but that is just the club most top pros have limited companies formed for them so there are many legal ways to pay players without going through salaries
If thet were true Wigan, Leeds, Bradford and Saints would all be at it. In our current situation being a bit light in the prop department we would have been making transfer offers for the likes of Korkidas at Wakey they could not turn down.

I think the salary cap is pretty water tight and I even think Lindsay does not want to break it n case the club ends up in a financial mess again.
Its so B****y frustrating to see a lot of the top pros we have been linked with go elsewhere.

I think a lot of Wigan Fans will agree that the signings we made gave us fresh hope before the season started but the players such as Danny Orr etc really arent cutting it at Wigan and we really need to do something about it and fast.
I am not sure which top pro players we have been linked with have gone elsewhere. The best top pro we werelinked with was Gasnier and his club just held him to his contract.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:We do have to do something and fast...but what????
If/when Farrell leaves we will find out if there is anything we can do.
I have a real downer on Danny Orr, but that being said I'd like nothing more than for him to turn it around...same for the rest. My own opinion is that one fantastic signing could have covered us. Brett Kenny did it in 85 then look were we went from there...
I thought Orr was playing well last season before he was injured and his defence has been good this but both him and Moran are stuck behind a pack not as good las last years, due to injury and those who have left so its a bit harsh on either of them IMO.

Dave
rugbyh8ter

Post by rugbyh8ter »

saints anyday. construction on a new ground is starting in the next month and as for history, well thats all it is. its the here and now that counts and unfortunately you guys just ain't at the races. up the wakefield :D
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

I have a real downer on Danny Orr, but that being said I'd like nothing more than for him to turn it around...same for the rest.
I agree Orr hasn't played well yet and with injuries to Lam last year he played with two different scrum halves then and didnt link well with either, but he has yet to have time to prove he can link with Moran yet, they've only played two SL games together so far. I think Brown, even though he's still young needs more of a go @ 6 and he has already proved himself against the stains getting man of the match then and performing well against Bradford as well so it's about time Orr was warming the bench as a utility back not Brown!!! I also agree we need to act and i think we have the speed and the backs but more Props required we have always been stong in the second row and still are with Wild who can play there if necessary. WE NEED MORE PROPS AND WE NEED THEM NOW!!! Even though we now have Guisset we need more depth if this kind of Davico injury happens again we all can do with out a repeat of last season with injuries and the young props have to build physically and work on offloading before they get their opportunities in the first team. Tickle playing prop is not right!! At the moment we have three front line props, Seuseu, Guisset and Sculthorpe and Danny is still relatively inexperienced and 3 props is really not enough. Even if we buy another and loan him out to a smaller club and have a call back clause if we need him like Bradford did with London with Moore.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
Vaelikis girl has obviously not seen our stand off.

Im sure Wayne Bennett thinks a bit different when both players where capped by the no 1 RL playing nation.Both players had outstanding seasons and where raved about by pundits when i watched the NRL coverage

Whatever the case they would be better than anything we have got at the moment.

We all (Wigan Fans etc) say that Wigan is the best known most successful club in the world why cant we attract big names anymore?

Most of you will remember Brett Kenney,Greg Dowling,John Ferguson,Ellery Hanley,Joe Lydon and even Wally Lewis although he never played a game for wigan nevertheless Wigan attracted big names with and paid some big money so why cant we do it now?

Yes i know where salary capped but that is just the club most top pros have limited companies formed for them so there are many legal ways to pay players without going through salaries

Its so B****y frustrating to see a lot of the top pros we have been linked with go elsewhere.

I think a lot of Wigan Fans will agree that the signings we made gave us fresh hope before the season started but the players such as Danny Orr etc really arent cutting it at Wigan and we really need to do something about it and fast.

Problem we have i believe stems from the big contracts given out to Kris and Faz and a few others a few years ago. This crippled us with the salary cap when it came in.

Money has now being brought ubder more control. In fairness to Mo this was not his fault as it would have led to Radlinski, Connolly and Faz going to Union. This is why we lost the best second row (need to change my best side) Furner when we could ill afford to lose him.

With Faz going we have more manuvorability in the market now. Vaieleki is a good player give him time. Seu Seu is also a clss act. But i do agree we need a big big name to fill the void of Faz.

On the point re stand off: give Orr a chance hes defencivly magnifecent for a stand off. With Faz going the teams needs a leader and he could be it if he gets a chance to dictate games. He did this to good effect at the Tigers. When he left they went down.

Amazing isnt it how a player becomes a bad player in people's eyes within a short space of time. If he does not improve yes i agree we need to change, but i still think he can be a quality player.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

rugbyh8ter posted:
saints anyday. construction on a new ground is starting in the next month and as for history, well thats all it is. its the here and now that counts and unfortunately you guys just ain't at the races. up the wakefield :D

BOY YOU NEED A GIRLFRIEND OR SORRY IF YOUR A LADY YOU NEED A MAN IN YOUR LIFE.

GO AND WATCH A MAN DIVE, RUN AFTER THE REF AND HAVE A TANTRUM, PUSH EACH OTHER KISS EACH OTHER, THROW THEMSELVES ON THE FLOOR. GO AND WATCH A NO CONTACT SPORT AND LEAVE THE REAL MANS SPORT TO THE BIG BOYS.

FOOTBALL SUCKS BIG TIME. RATHER WATCH THE PAINT DRY. AND THIS COMES FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS SEEN OVER 300 MATCHES AT ANFIELD.

WATCH RUGBY LEAGUE WHERE THE CONTACT IS REAL
WATCH RUGBY LEAGUE WHERE THE INJURIES ARE REAL
WATCH RUGBY LEAGUE WHERE THE FANS ARE REAL[/b

OR WATCH FOOTBALL WHERE THEY HUG AND KISS EACH OTHER
CRY WHINGE MOAN HAVE A GO AT THE REF RUN AROUND LIKE SPOILT BRATS. CRY TO THERE AGENTS WHEN NOT HAVING THERE OWN WAY. SULK AND GO ON STRIKE. WHINGE IF THEY PLAY ALL SEASON WHINGE IF THE DO NOT PLAY ALL SEASON.

THIS GUY IS STARTING TO GET ON MY NERVES CAN WE BAN HIS IP ADDRESS AND GET RID OF HIM.

OR IS IT THAT HE CAN NOT FIND A FOOTBALL SITE TO SEND MESSAGES ON. MAYBE HE IS ILLITURATE.

FOR U RUGBYHATER IT MEANS CAN NOT READ OR SPELL
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

rugbyh8ter posted:
away and play with the buses
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

are you for real?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

Doug Stand posted:
I also read an article there a while ago were none other than the king of all stand-offs, or 5/8ths if you prefer. The best No 6 that has ever, ever been Brett Kenny rated Anasta up there with the best of them.
Don't get me wrong i think in their first seasons they were both great but they have lacked something since then. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and mine is that i don't rate either of these players and would not like to see them come to my club. Being a Parramatta supporter i have every respect for Brett Kenny but he also said that buying Jason Taylor at 30 years old was the worst move Parra could make and he had his best ever year and got us to a grand final.
The King, The overall king is Ellery Hanley btw and Wigan were able to manage him, with the exception of a small blip in 88.
I have no idea who that is :blush: To be honest i don't really know all that much about the game over there (i've seen a few games but i'd have to say they've pretty much all been Bradford as i know someone who played for them) so you'd be a better judge on who would go well over there. I'm just going by how it is in the NRL and Anasta and Mason aren't very popular over here because of their whinging and never ending excuses when things go wrong.
While were talking about stabnd-off;s there, the lad from St.George would be high up on my shopping list...can't think of his name.
Trent Barrett?
Who is No 6 with the Eels now? Can we buy him whoever he may be :D

Our number 6 for this year is anyone's guess. There's a few players who are competing for the number 6, 7 and 9 spots but i'd say it would be John Morris and if that's the case you can definitely not have him :D Though if you want our number 3 he's yours :wink:
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!