Re: Goodbye and Thanks

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Faz is out for 4 months, so does it really make that much difference when he announced he was leaving. At least now we can fully concentrate in training on finding a system without him in it, for the rest of the season, and practice until it's slick. Having 'is he or isn't he' in the back of everyone's minds, would be no good. We could change the system for 4 months, and then have to revert back when he was playing (assuming he makes full recovery - speculation DaveO before you quote me lol).

Good luck and all the best - get behind the squad that are going to play this season. I'm not that pessimistic that we are going to be rubbish this season. After all it's still only 2 games gone! :blush:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
Even if Faz were to stay for this season then it will be a couple of months before he's back. If he left now it would give him the opportunity to learn union (watching tapes etc) while he recovers.
He can watch tapes while still a Wigan player. He is due back when we reach the business end of the season and does anyone think we would have got as far as we did on the playoffs last time without him?
If he were to leave now then at least we would get some sort of financial compensation. If he were to see his contract out, then he could leave for free.
I am not on about him seeing his contract out although
that is what I would prefer him to do. The club needs the player more than it needs the money.

However I am realistic enough to accept he is off to RU so IMO he should only go there at the end of the season for the reasons stated in my previous post in this thread on how it afects the team.
The team has been built around him for the most of the super league era and with the bidding war surrounding SBW at the moment, it is easy to see that finding a replacement for him this season will not be possible. This means that we are going to struggle this season and I don't want to even think about what will happen if we get anymore injuries.
Exactly so if he stayed a Wigan player until the end of the season the problem would be much less and we might have chance of some silverware despite inevitably picking up the odd injury on the way. I mean by that the squad will be a man down all season as opposed until the end of April if he goes now. If one of Hock, Tickle or O'Loughlin get injured we don't have comparable cover whereas with Faz back in the team we have some depth to the back row forwards.
Although I think that his departure will cost Wigan this season, I still wish him all the best for the future
It will cost Wigan and he should stick this season out for the sake of the club and fans.

Dave

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
Faz is out for 4 months, so does it really make that much difference when he announced he was leaving.
Of course it does. Had he announced it in October after the Tri-nations Mo would have been sorting out a replacement who was hopefully fit (we surely would not have signed TWO Davico's!) who would have been available now and for the rest of the season.

As it is the club expected him in the squad, then found he was injured but was still expecting him to be available come the end of April. Now it looks as though he is leaving!

The timing of his move could not be worse from a squad point of view IMO leaving the club with no opportunity to strengthen the squad and a man down for the entire campaign.
At least now we can fully concentrate in training on finding a system without him in it, for the rest of the season, and practice until it's slick. Having 'is he or isn't he' in the back of everyone's minds, would be no good. We could change the system for 4 months, and then have to revert back when he was playing (assuming he makes full recovery - speculation DaveO before you quote me lol).
I'll quote you anyway :lol: If he were not going no one wold be saying it would be a problem him returning to the team. On the contrary people would be looking forward to it.

Dave
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

I can see us starting a deep meaningful discussion again DaveO :lol:

As no speculation in any press or no rumours circulated off season, we must assume that it is a very quick kneejerk reaction by the RFU to approach Faz. As soon as they got a positive response, I believe they then approached Wigan to discuss terms. All this started 2 weeks before the season started.

IMO Faz went to Florida and the club put him up for surgery truly believing he would come back and play for us this season. Things have changed very rapidly since, so all other options etc have gone out of the window.

I think it could be better all round to think about what we have left, rather than thinking about what we are missing. We have to get on with the job in hand minus Faz. Agree completely with you on the fact he will be missed. However, I think mentally it will be better for the team to concentrate on how we play without him!.

Although not RL related, but everybody thought Everton was going to struggle this season when Rooney left - it seems it galvanised the rest of the squad into playing better as a team.

I'm not saying this is going to have the same effect on our team ethic and playing ability, but after 2 games we have to give them a chance.

Keep smiling it's not over til it's done and dusted :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
Undoubtedly!
As no speculation in any press or no rumours circulated off season, we must assume that it is a very quick kneejerk reaction by the RFU to approach Faz. As soon as they got a positive response, I believe they then approached Wigan to discuss terms. All this started 2 weeks before the season started.

IMO Faz went to Florida and the club put him up for surgery truly believing he would come back and play for us this season. Things have changed very rapidly since, so all other options etc have gone out of the window.
I agree it is possibly a very quick course of events that have led to this but that still doesn't alter the fact him going now screws up the team for this season and why I will be disapointed in him if he does go now.

As an aside if it is all so sudden I am even more surprised as this would appear to be not him fulfilling a long held ambition or whatever but looks like a very quick decision on his part to leave. If so, I'd like to know what prompted it.

I think him seeing the season out would placate even those who would rather he honour hs contract in full (which includes me) as well as being what is best for the team this season.

Wigan have been denied any chance to plan for his departure by the sudden turn of events so it would sit better with me if he didn't leave us a man down. He does have two years of a contract to honour after all so going at the end of the season is still a year early. The RU world cup is not until 2007 so there is time to get used to his new game.
I think it could be better all round to think about what we have left, rather than thinking about what we are missing. We have to get on with the job in hand minus Faz. Agree completely with you on the fact he will be missed. However, I think mentally it will be better for the team to concentrate on how we play without him!.

I agree we will have to look to the future once he has gone. There is no use crying over spilt milk but in the meantine I continue to hope he will do the decent thing and play this season out for us.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

'The gimble' made my point again, that there's no real difference between a professional sportsman and any other profession. I've always been loyal to my employers at the time, but whenever a better opportunity has come along, I've taken it. If my new employers are prepared to pay off my contract, so I don't have to work out my notice, so much the better.
(not that I'm claiming to be as valuable to any employer as Faz is, but the point remains valid)
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

If the reports are correct, we have seen the last of Farrell BUT the point of the media is to speculate, not everything is true!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
Moore_115

Post by Moore_115 »

Well all i can say is Thats Farrell for all the Grt matches your got use throw and hope you have a good time in Union

now lets all give faz a clap for a grt time in wigan colors

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

CHERRY AND WHITE
Every thing is funny as long as it is happening to someone else.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
gab0512 posted:
Undoubtedly!

I agree it is possibly a very quick course of events that have led to this but that still doesn't alter the fact him going now screws up the team for this season and why I will be disapointed in him if he does go now.

As an aside if it is all so sudden I am even more surprised as this would appear to be not him fulfilling a long held ambition or whatever but looks like a very quick decision on his part to leave. If so, I'd like to know what prompted it.

I think him seeing the season out would placate even those who would rather he honour hs contract in full (which includes me) as well as being what is best for the team this season.

Wigan have been denied any chance to plan for his departure by the sudden turn of events so it would sit better with me if he didn't leave us a man down. He does have two years of a contract to honour after all so going at the end of the season is still a year early. The RU world cup is not until 2007 so there is time to get used to his new game.

I agree we will have to look to the future once he has gone. There is no use crying over spilt milk but in the meantine I continue to hope he will do the decent thing and play this season out for us.

Dave
Yes the reaction to the RFU is amazing in that it shows how poor the Union game really is. Like anysport teams and players come and go its how you replace them that matters.

ERFU did nothing but basq in its own magnificence after the world cup and though it was the beginning of an era of dominance. They lose games panic and make approach for Faz. This will not solve there problem. They are playing him at centre. The guy is not quick enough for that position.

I can see this being a failure as Faz like to control games. Union game is controlled by the fly half and especially the scrum half. He should go in as a No8.

This sounds very much like Wales and Harris brought a class player and then thought shit where are we going to play him.

One good thing that will come out of this is the lifting in the total amount to be spent in the salary cap as Mo will use this to get a big increase for next season. Hell use scaremongerring tactic of the best is going to union and theyll force a change.

The reason the RFU want him now is a simple case of economics they need a star attraction for the publicity re: Beckham in football as Wilkinson is injury prone, and England have no other big star. Even though i think Billy Whizz is but the powers that be do not. RFU panics and then make there move for the best they can get.English side was the best in the world now they are not in the top 3 in Europe that is the realistic position they are now in.

One thing we need to do and i agree with Dave O (makes a change) we need to look to the future. The chances of winning this year now is remote but we have a nuckleus of a good side with the like of O'Loughlin, Hock, Sculthorpe, Brown, Colborn, Tickle they just need time to fully develop. Yes we need a replacement for Faz but we have a good loose forward so id get a big hitting second rower or prop.
Welski

Post by Welski »

DaveO posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:

If he plays this season out, then fair enough
Dave
I have to agree with you Dave all of my previous arguement were based on Faz seeing out this year. As you know I've had no problem with the whole deal I thought it was sound business sense. However it does not make sense if having built a team for 2005 with Faz as an integral and major part the club then offload him. Basically they are saying we will take a major risk and potentially write off 2005. Thats no way to treat the fans.

The only counter to this is if the injury to Faz is going to take longer than we are being told to heal.

On a positive note I recall not so long ago when we first lost Faz to injury the youngsters that stepped up played some outstanding rugby ...until Faz returned!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League