Booing and chant at end of game??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Booing and chant at end of...

Post by jaws1 »

Just a matter of interest where were the chants coming from all i heard was booing in the East stand and if the chants were coming from the South stand the Catalan supporters would have not heard them.I was just to the Left of them and did not hear anything.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

This point has already been made but i was thinking the same when i read it, all the chants about scousers being theiving etc are racist, the french one is no different, i think it should be taken in the spirit i belive it would have been intended abit of friendly banter, which you see in all sports between near enough all clubs.

The comment about the war (i wasnt at the game) im unsure about, probably just as bad as english fans singing to the germans 2 world wars and 1 world cup, i appriciate this is more football but the point is the same.

PC is gone mad in this country, while im not condoning the war chants i do believe as a society we worry about offending people to much, i.e banning England flags in England.

Booing from what i have read does seem to be at the ref, but it doesnt matter if it is at the opposing team we boo saints when they come out and boo long when he has the ball etc. Again friendly banter

From what ive read people dont mind racism as long as it doesnt go to far, this is far to grey area. I think its about context as long as its not spiteful, vicious or intending to start hatred or fights then, its more banter.

If your accepting of 1 its hard to not accept another
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Lets get one thing right. The chants were not racist. They were nationalistic. To those defending the chants you may have a point if what was chanted was similar to Yorkshiremen do weird things with Sheep. However, to use WWII makes the people chanting it look pathetic, ignorant and disrespectful to all countries engaged in war.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Lets get one thing right. The chants were not racist. They were nationalistic.
Beat me to it, cp! There's a lot of difference between chants about regional/national identity and chants about skin colour.
Nine

Post by Nine »

I think rugby league fans should always remember why it is that our game is a strong as it is in the South of France. The rest of their country was invaded by the Nazis and its collaborationist government spinelessly agreed to a request of one of its own members, who was a rugby union man, that all RL assets should be seized and the game banned. RL has never recovered from that disgraceful action in most of France.

However, it didn't happen in the South, which was still, and remained, free from Nazi control.

RL has roots there because they fought the Nazis and remained free. So, apart from anything else, any chants about surrender could not be more embarrassingly wrong.

The story of French rugby league should always be passed on by and remembered by RL fans, it's an important part of our game's history.

For what it's worth, all I heard on Friday was booing of the ref followed by applause for the players once Klown had left the pitch.

Squad number 18!
kris_roy

Post by kris_roy »

Dawn O wrote:How can you say block them out???!!!! It is a racist chant , which before every game you are told to that if racist comments will not be tolerated. Should Gilly have blocked out having bananas thrown at him or Offiah blocked out the monkey noises because that is what you are saying!
maybe block them out was the wrong choice of words. maybe if it bothers you so much then take according action would be a better terminology for it
BORN WIGAN,
LIVE WIGAN,
DIE WIGAN!!!!!
Bear

Post by Bear »

kris_roy wrote:
Dawn O wrote:How can you say block them out???!!!! It is a racist chant , which before every game you are told to that if racist comments will not be tolerated. Should Gilly have blocked out having bananas thrown at him or Offiah blocked out the monkey noises because that is what you are saying!
maybe block them out was the wrong choice of words. maybe if it bothers you so much then take according action would be a better terminology for it
Dawn you diddnt hear them so it cant be soo bad. The chants were not racist. We all know what racism is and we would never do that as we have coloured freinds of our own.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
botica

Post by botica »

I was in the south stand and the Boo's were at the referee not the players! Everyone was upset with the whistler at the end of that. There were a few shouting anti french things, 1 family in particular, (Man Wife and Two Kids) was awful and i looked at the steward in front of us as i thought it was racist. He was shouting, can't win a war on your own and other frog/french things! They were awful, but they were the minority and all those that stayed saw everyone clap their players from the pitch, just like always.
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

God wrote:Its not about being p.c or being racist or being anything else its about respect. A respect for the fact these people were invaded by a majour force in Europe and were slaughtered.

With regards to 2 world wars 1 world cup, thats the football fools, as supporters i would like to think we have a little bit more inteligence than this, but it seems we dont.

Calling a Frenchman a Frog doenst bother me because the ammount of names we are called are far too many to mention from other countrys, groups, religions, race but all get swept under the carpet.

As a hetrosexual white male in the year 2008 you are automatically a rasist,homophobic,sexist and also guilty in a court of law regardless of anything else.
As you can tell i am not Mr P.C its all about respect for others and that is severly lacking in the countyr as a whole.
The war chants are well below the belt I.M.O out of respect to the people who died and i wish never to hear them again. Take a leaf out of Hull KRS fans earlier in the season, that is how to take a defeat.
What you say is quite true
Thats the problem with this country as a whole NO RESPECT whether it be for persons or property this country is being ruined :sad: :sad:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

cpwigan wrote:Lets get one thing right. The chants were not racist. They were nationalistic. To those defending the chants you may have a point if what was chanted was similar to Yorkshiremen do weird things with Sheep. However, to use WWII makes the people chanting it look pathetic, ignorant and disrespectful to all countries engaged in war.
Agree 100%.