What happened against Cas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MikeSmith

What happened against Cas

Post by MikeSmith »

Urgh, just recovering from that match, and lets be honest it wasn't the best start to the new season.

After that I think Newton should be dropped, at least one of their trys was a direct result of a penalty of his. We seemed to be just getting on top, then he came back on an blew it.

In fairness there were 13 men on the Wigan side who didn't play to potential but IMHO before Newton came back on we were looking good. Mark Smith, though not as good as an on form Newton, is a million times better than an off form Newton.

And just to top it all we had a flat tyre on the way home...

BTW I used to post on here as MikeS but having to re-register I thought I would be a little different as I used to get the odd email for Mike (the board owner)
MattyB

Newton

Post by MattyB »

I was very disappointed all last season with Newton, apart from the odd spells. Unlike the previous season when we was superb - linking up with Radlinksi to score & vice versa.
Last season his picture was in the papers for his off the field antics which may not have helped. But if it affects his rugby then get rid I say before he becomes a liability. We have done it before (The infamous Sean Long Nightclub Incident) springs to mind !!
Form is temporary, Class is permanent.
John M

Give him chance

Post by John M »

He had a poor year last year but give him chance,he'll come back good.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
MikeSmith

Give Newton how much of a chance

Post by MikeSmith »

Hi John,

I know you like Newton and not so much Mark Smith but if my performance was below par for over a year, I would be out on my ear.

Now OK I agree with giving players a chance to get back in to form... but how long do we give them? Can you honestly say that at least one of the tries Cas scored was not because of him? Let him play for his place is what I think. If Mark plays better than Newton (which he did last weekend) then start with him, if not start with Newton.

A couple of years back that happend and Newton came back to form in great style. I hope it happens again.

Mike