Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Worst fullback since Doc M...

Post by GeoffN »

nathan_rugby wrote:im a firm believer that calderwood is no different to the majority of wigan players in defence. Average on his day.

Mathers had it at leeds but seriously my 16 year old mate is a better fullback.
Yeah, but that's the point: if Calderwood plays, Richards can go to fb.

Surely a back 3 of Richards/Calderwood/Colbon is better than Mathers/Richards/Colbon?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If Calderwood is average in defence then he should be able to walk straight into our team - Mathers never came close to stopping Wilkin.

Mathers' isn't alone in his total lack of tackling ability; Goulding's defence seems to have actually got worse rather than better.

The only player in a Wigan shirt who had a reasonable game in either attack or defence tonight was Harrison Hansen.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

correct a mundo.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
topskin

Post by topskin »

goulding and mathers should be dropped imeadiatly bring in reay and calderwood mathers slow cant tackle goulding slow cant tackle and over weight
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

GeoffN wrote: Surely a back 3 of Richards/Calderwood/Colbon is better than Mathers/Richards/Colbon?
Personally I would give a go to a back 3 of Calderwood, Richards and Stanton.

Colbon doesn't appear to have anything approaching wingers pace. Stanton could potentially be a defensive liability because he is not the biggest and he is inexperienced at SL level. However Neither Mathers or Colbon are small or inexperienced and we all know how they performed tonight.

We lack pace on the wings and that makes us very easy to defend against; because teams can compress the defensive line and then just drift to cut off the wingers. Without the threat of going the length of the field we just look predictable.

Pat is a far better FB than Mathers in every department
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
mikey

Post by mikey »

Get of his back for gods sake ,Ashton was totally useless ,arrogant empty headed teenager.There was 12 other similar players ahead of him tonight.Oh the useless dumb empty headed HOCK who made sure last week he didnt want to play.No mention of doc murray against Leeds!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

wise up ,hock has more pride than all that lot today showed put together
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mikey wrote:Get of his back for gods sake ,Ashton was totally useless ,arrogant empty headed teenager.There was 12 other similar players ahead of him tonight.Oh the useless dumb empty headed HOCK who made sure last week he didnt want to play.No mention of doc murray against Leeds!
Mathers is pathetic. He offers nothing with the ball and in defence he may as well do what Puig Albert used to do and stand aside and wave them past.

Why oh why is it somebody like Calders is dropped at the drop of a hat but Mathers and Fielden are never dropped.
turf

Post by turf »

cpwigan wrote:
mikey wrote:Get of his back for gods sake ,Ashton was totally useless ,arrogant empty headed teenager.There was 12 other similar players ahead of him tonight.Oh the useless dumb empty headed HOCK who made sure last week he didnt want to play.No mention of doc murray against Leeds!
Mathers is pathetic. He offers nothing with the ball and in defence he may as well do what Puig Albert used to do and stand aside and wave them past.

Why oh why is it somebody like Calders is dropped at the drop of a hat but Mathers and Fielden are never dropped.
The bit in bold is correct.

The answer to your question above is that Fielden is never dropped because as I have said on another thread, he is Noble's love child. Simple as.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I am beginning to question Nobles team selection why keep Calderwood the fastest player on the books and keep a donkey like Colbon in the team.Mathers is not doing his job get him in the reserves put Pat back to fullback a position he himself said he likes and Calderwood back on the wing and Colbon palm off to Widnes.