To Hell with Stability

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: To Hell with Stability

Post by josie andrews »

platt-warrior wrote:I disagree re-Coley he is the only forward to come out of
this shambles with any cred.
very true
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Nicw to see it not only me saying release Hansen. Not saying he didnt try yesterday but he just isn't good enough. The good players underachieved but he just played his standard game.

The only ones i would seriously keep from that team are Carmont, Richards, Coley and Lockers.

Lockers is good in a good team, he always playes well for GB in a good pack.

shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i wouldnt go looking for another hooker i would just use tommy leuluai there and get a new 6 and 7.....

then they can develop a good partnership together and hopeefully be more creatinve tan the two we have this year...
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Unfortunately we have limited scope for changes as most players are contracted for next season.

This means we have to drop some players if needs be and bring in three. IL said "one or two" in his program notes recently so with a Barrett replacement that is three players. With that in mind:

1 - Pat Richards - I prefer him on the wing but we have a get out clause with Mathers so unless he learns to tackle he may as well be let go.

2 - Calderwood - just being realistic here. We need some pace and can't see the point of using one of the three new players for a new winger.

3 - George Carmont
4 - New centre - Goulding leaks tries like a sieve.

5 - Karl Pryce
6 - New stand off - forced upon us.

7 - Tommy Lu Lu - I'd get rid if we could but we can't
8 - Paul Prescott
9 - New Hooker - rightly or wrongly Higham will be off and McIllorum is not the answer yet.

10 - Fielden - he is going nowhere either. I wish he was but he isn't.
11 - Gareth Hock
12 - Hansen

13 - Lockers - I'd get a new 13 if we could as well but we can't. He is no better a 2nd row than Hock or Hansen so if we got a better 13 it's subs bench at best for him. But like others the contract situation means he will be our 13 next year.

14 - Feka
15 - Coley
16 - One of the young players e.g. Mossop
17 - McIllorum

So it boils down to hoping a new hooker, centre and stand off can add what is missing to our team. I have my doubts that will be enough because really its the pack that needs attention largely because Fielden is so poor at the moment and Feka can't play effectively enough for long enough.

There is one other possible change of course. New coach.

Dave
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote:Nicw to see it not only me saying release Hansen. Not saying he didnt try yesterday but he just isn't good enough. The good players underachieved but he just played his standard game.

The only ones i would seriously keep from that team are Carmont, Richards, Coley and Lockers.

Yes he does, he can't do anything if the forwards are not doing their job and when he plays for the national team he has the best forwards so his job is easier and loads better
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thomo

Post by thomo »

I would have been happy to see us sign Haggerty from Salford when they were relegated last year. A big no-nonsense prop that runs hard in a straight line - that is the sort of prop we need to sign.

"big" winger like Lesley was the Bulls[/quote]

agree 100% with this - two big props are needed - don't need to be superstars but just adding size to the pack

dave - spot on with the fielden comment - he has 18 months to go in his contract so we have got to keep him and get the best out of him[/quote]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Yes he does, he can't do anything if the forwards are not doing their job and when he plays for the national team he has the best forwards so his job is easier and loads better
I have seen it written that Fielden is being asked to do too much because he isn't alongside the likes of Peacock any more. I have seen this above said about Lockers.

That is two out of six players in the pack who need better players in the pack to perform.

Hock is IMO our best forward and a genuine talent. So that must mean our hooker, one prop and one second row are why these two are not playing well enough.

Last year we had Fletcher who I think we miss a lot and Lockers and Fielden still were not up to scratch. So basically that means it's all down to Higham and Hansen that these two are not performing.

Perhaps therefore the problem is actually with Feilden and Lockers? If they were at their best with Fielden on his Bradford and GB form of old and Lockers on his GB form we might have a half decent pack!

Dave
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

First Try Tickle wrote:Nicw to see it not only me saying release Hansen. Not saying he didnt try yesterday but he just isn't good enough. The good players underachieved but he just played his standard game.

Are you sniffing glue? Hansen is 3 times the player that Lockers is, jesus some fans are unbelievable, Lockers is an utter waiste of fresh air, wowee he tackled like a good un last season, where is he at this term?, Hansen was on fire at the end of last season and begining of this one, he's scored a few trys, how many has the Golden god scored, how many does he score in a season? not many, sorry but doing 4 or 5 tasty passages of play a season is not even good enough for NL1, Moran got chastised for being of similar quality as Mr Sayer, but Leo get's away with it due to family ties with this club :eusa7:
thomo

Post by thomo »

we need a bigger pack - we need four big prop forward - two than can play 40 mins each, fieldend play 50 and Feka a 30 in three short spells
Hansen, Coley and Hock in the second row and we are stuck with 4 more years lockers at loose.

Please , please please invest some money in bulking up some of the younger lads

lay the platform and get the go forward right - then the rest will follow.
Noble is a forward coaching man - smash them and bash them
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

People are stating that hansen isnt playing well etc and should be got rid of.
Why get rid of the teams best tackler when defence is our main problem ?

People are also saying that lockers plays well when there are good players around him. Saying things like if the forwards dont make the yards then we cant expect him to play well.

Isnt he a forward himself ? Shouldnt he be taking some runs and making some of the yards. Look at burgess. A loose forward and is top on the meters made list.

Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."