Worst fullback since Doc Murray

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickh

Re: Worst fullback since Doc M...

Post by mickh »

turf, you confuse me.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

To be honest i think the only player who actually played well was harrison hansen.

All of the other players need a kick up their arse. Especially fielden, mathers, goulding, lockers.

Mathers had an abysmal performance and with some good technique and abit of passion he would have stopped 3 tries.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
emma warriors simply the best

Post by emma warriors simply the best »

mathers had a bad game last week though and noble never learned from that, calderwood should have been brought out on wing and richards at full back atleast richards would have got back when a ball was kicked. mathers just walks to the ball like theres no rush like hes got all day to get the ball he did the same against bradford and they scored from it. colbon and calderwood for the wing and richards for full back.if mathers is given a spot on the team next week and calderwood is left out again its nobles choices of players we need to complain about
LOYAL
WARRIOR

PHIL BAILEY: "I am totally thrilled to be joining the Wigan Warriors. Everyone believes in the club and I can’t wait to join Wigan for 2007".

Iafeta Paleaaesina:"Our fans support over recent years has been astonishing. They are the backbone of the Club and we are truly grateful for the way they get behind us".

!!!WARRIORS 4 LIFE!!!

Born a WARRIOR!
Live a WARRIOR!
Die a WARRIOR!

we can build this dream together
standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now

Proud to be a wiganer!!!
mickh

Post by mickh »

Read today one of the Rugby League papers, can't remember which one!

"Match analysis" by Danny Lockwood.

Regarding the pat on the back by Mathers as Jon Wilkin passed by him on the way to scoring his try, "and he had no one in support, neither left or right, when he made Mathers look like a reserve full back for Wigan St Pats U-8s."
Now I don't know "legal speak", but if I was the parent of Wigan St Pats reserve U-8s full back, surly its defamation of character against him! The "tackle"? was much worse than an under 4 would attempt!
pedro

Post by pedro »

At least Ashton always had the pace to make up for mistakes....Mathers couldnt even catch Wilkin (laughable). Also we slated Ashton but more often than not he was left 2 or 3 on one and was easily beatn but so are most fullbacks in that situation. Noble must like Pace as he dropped Ashton also......please dont tell me it was for attitiude as he needs to look in the mirror as most of the team at the moment have a problem.

Oh and back to Mathers....get rid. We can afford his wages just release him and pay him off.
Susi

Post by Susi »

Mathers is clearly not the player he was at leeds, but then he had good quality players around him, and players that have been a team since their teens, for the most part.
We are not afforded this luxury as every time we get a good young 'un they get fired off somewhere, and always come back and haunt us.
I agree he and fielden should be dropped for a match or two.
As for the Calders position it is clear Mr Noble does not like him, in fact it reminds me of the Dean Lance /Paul Sterling case, a few years ago at Leeds. Think calders may have a case for discrimination.
Makes very little sense to me having your fastest player as a waterboy, put fielden there.
Mathers however could be moved to number 6 as he did on occasion play that pos. at leeds. (Not that i'm saying he'd be any better) Trent is not firing this season and maybe a break or a switch around may help. Bring him off the bench for impact start mathers at 6.
We need desperately to find some cohesion and form before we drop to the foot of the table, and before the players lose the will to bother.
pedro

Post by pedro »

He just shouldnt be in the team......hes not superleague standard
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

mrs feka wrote:Mathers is clearly not the player he was at leeds, but then he had good quality players around him, and players that have been a team since their teens, for the most part.
We are not afforded this luxury as every time we get a good young 'un they get fired off somewhere, and always come back and haunt us.
I agree he and fielden should be dropped for a match or two.
As for the Calders position it is clear Mr Noble does not like him, in fact it reminds me of the Dean Lance /Paul Sterling case, a few years ago at Leeds. Think calders may have a case for discrimination.
Makes very little sense to me having your fastest player as a waterboy, put fielden there.
Mathers however could be moved to number 6 as he did on occasion play that pos. at leeds. (Not that i'm saying he'd be any better) Trent is not firing this season and maybe a break or a switch around may help. Bring him off the bench for impact start mathers at 6.
We need desperately to find some cohesion and form before we drop to the foot of the table, and before the players lose the will to bother.

Drop them?
I say sack them. We shouldn't have to pay their wages because they are surely in breach of contract. They both signed as Rugby players which, patently, neither of them is!
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

i hate to say this but - we miss Chris Asthon! his pace was something else and we miss that factor! he was NO worse than Mathers in defence!

i've stuck by Dickie Mathers all season! i've always liked the guy! but i'm getting increasingly worried by the guy!

come on Dickie - prove us wrong!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

And BW it is going to get worse. Every team will be told by their coaches, if you break through and you think your support runners are blocked by scrambling Wigan defenders, take Mathers on.