106-8

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

106-8

Post by ancientnloyal »

18 tries, 5 by debutant Sam Tomkins, hat tricks for Calderwood and Barrett, and 2 for Paleaaesina, and the rest...

The scorleline was flattering, Hock made an impressive return just hope he keeps his head. Tomkins deservedly won the MoM award from the sponsors.

I think we reacted in the correct way tonight, Im wondering why Whitehaven were so poor? Anyone shed any light on this? They beat leigh last week but the scoreline was embarrasing.

People need to think straight away we are ok for Warrington, we aren't, we still need to remember Warrington are a class side and will be up for it on Friday

At least i can say "I was there" seeing a ton. Sealed by Feka
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Re: 106-8

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote:18 tries, 5 by debutant Sam Tomkins, hat tricks for Calderwood and Barrett, and 2 for Paleaaesina, and the rest...

The scorleline was flattering, Hock made an impressive return just hope he keeps his head. Tomkins deservedly won the MoM award from the sponsors.

I think we reacted in the correct way tonight, Im wondering why Whitehaven were so poor? Anyone shed any light on this? They beat leigh last week but the scoreline was embarrasing.

People need to think straight away we are ok for Warrington, we aren't, we still need to remember Warrington are a class side and will be up for it on Friday

At least i can say "I was there" seeing a ton. Sealed by Feka

Yeah, but lets not get carried away and forget last week. Warrington will be a different matter this was just a run out. No disrespect to Whitehaven

They had three players out with injuries and two cup tied, but I don't think it would have made a difference if they had been playing, the Wigan team wanted to show that they can play, albeit against a NL1 team!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Such opposition is light years from SL.

However, it is important to do things correctly and to not lose focus when playing such opposition and we did that very well. I think Hocky blew one try but that was it. A 100 pts still takes some doing.

Warrington is the acid test though
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

There were many things we did tonight that we could just as easily do against SL opposition: attack from deep, support the man with the ball, avoid stupid penalties and panic-induced handling errors, and lead from the front with forwards who are determined to make an impact.

No SL club would lie down and die as quickly as Haven did tonight, but that was partly the result of sustained but controlled pressure, which Warrington would also be discomforted by.

I agree, it's difficult to deduce anything of real value from this evening's massacre. SL clubs are clearly aeons ahead of their NL1 counterparts (which is surely argument enough for us never, ever going back to promotion and relegation), but from a Wigan POV, it was good to see us at least practising the things that so many fans have been calling for. Let's hope this strategy continues during the real match on Friday.
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

gutted that i missed it, i was at work.

Lets not get big headed over tonight, and just concentrate on wire.
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:Such opposition is light years from SL.

However, it is important to do things correctly and to not lose focus when playing such opposition and we did that very well. I think Hocky blew one try but that was it. A 100 pts still takes some doing.

Warrington is the acid test though
Yes they are the acid test. This team can beat anyone and I mean anyone when they play as a team. They need to get into the opposition's faces and support the man with ball. Lockers had the ball and Mathers was on his right shoulder to take the pass and what did he do, moved again out of position after Lockers was about to offload the ball to him ! Deary me today :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

The players did tonight what we have been asking for all season a free flowing game.If only the backroom staff could get Feka really fit he was awesome tonight i have been his worst critic for being unfit.We seem to lose the plot when he went off after 20 mins we had open flowing rugby until then 36 points on the board Fielden came on in his place and the game stops. You could see near the end that the players really turned the screw even Lockers was geeing up the players.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

luke_robinsons_ angel wrote:gutted that i missed it, i was at work.

Lets not get big headed over tonight, and just concentrate on wire.
You're not the only one with the pathetic crowd figures!!!!

The CC is dead - except for the final.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Highlight - Feca's 50m blast up the field!!
Low point - Another very uncommitted attempted tackle by Mathers as Haven attacked down our left wing. I don't expect to see him on Friday.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

They only did that to get the ton, there was an urgency about the team when 82 came up, even Feka was running like Tim Montgomery on steroids towards the end to get his try. I suppose it is a goal for players to say they reached 100, not many players/teams do.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame