Feka: sentencing guidelines

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Feka: sentencing guidelines

Post by Nine »

To save a lot of unnecessary and uninformed speculation I thought it might be useful to let people know that there are official sentencing guides for offences such as GBH, available at http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/

My reading of the relevant bits is that for a first offence, with no special aggravating factors, some mitigation and where a guilty plea has been entered, the official guideline states the sentence should range from community service at the bottom end of the scale up to a maximum of 36 weeks’ custody at the top end.
Squad number 18!
DaveO

Re: Feka: sentencing guidelines

Post by DaveO »

Well according to Wigan Today the judge is considering either a suspended sentence or even a lesser sentence than that.
June 16th is the sentence hearing.

It's now all in the open and the trial over, he is guilty of GBH and so now it remains to be seen just what the sentence will be and whether the club or the RFL will take any further action e.g. for bringing the club and/or game into disrepute.

So far the club has declined to comment.

Dave
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

DaveO wrote:Well according to Wigan Today the judge is considering either a suspended sentence or even a lesser sentence than that.

It's now all in the open and the trial over, he is guilty of GBH and so now it remains to be seen just what the sentence will be and whether the club or the RFL will take any further action e.g. for bringing the club and/or game into disrepute.

Dave
it isn't really a club matter, other players have done worse and the RFL have done nothing so this should be no different.
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If a certain Oz club turned a blind eye to the greatest player in the world's drug taking without any reprimand, then why should anything further come from Feka bringing back the biff, after all it's not like he was caught snorting cocaine or hiring Thai lady boy hookers or anything.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

luke_robinsons_ angel wrote:
DaveO wrote:Well according to Wigan Today the judge is considering either a suspended sentence or even a lesser sentence than that.

Dave
it isn't really a club matter, other players have done worse and the RFL have done nothing so this should be no different.
It is up to the club if they want to make it a club matter.

I'll give you an example. Saints sacked Millward for something far less than GBH because they chose to make an issue of it and it placed Millward in breech of contract.

If Wigan chose to, I am sure they could do the same and cancel Feka's contract over this and not have to pay him off thus saving salary cap money.

I am not saying they will or should but it really is up to the club to decide one way or the other.

Dave
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

DaveO wrote:
luke_robinsons_ angel wrote:

Dave
It is up to the club if they want to make it a club matter.

I'll give you an example. Saints sacked Millward for something far less than GBH because they chose to make an issue of it and it placed Millward in breech of contract.

If Wigan chose to, I am sure they could do the same and cancel Feka's contract over this and not have to pay him off thus saving salary cap money.

I am not saying they will or should but it really is up to the club to decide one way or the other.

Dave
That's one way of looking at it, but I though in the Milward case, that he had fallen out with the Directors and they were looking for a way of sacking him but without all the nasty fallout that can come from a sacking. This misdemeanor was just the excuse they needed and he was shown the door, with misconduct being cited as the reason. Just my opinion, of course :cool:

pedro

Post by pedro »

Dave
Didnt matter to them when Jon Clarke was sent to jail for a year
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:
DaveO wrote: It is up to the club if they want to make it a club matter.

Dave
That's one way of looking at it, but I though in the Milward case, that he had fallen out with the Directors and they were looking for a way of sacking him but without all the nasty fallout that can come from a sacking. This misdemeanor was just the excuse they needed and he was shown the door, with misconduct being cited as the reason. Just my opinion, of course :cool:
Yes Saints wanted rid and so did exactly as you say. Millward gave the Saints board enough rope to hang him.

Feka has done the same - should Wigan want to get rid. I have no reason to think the club does want to get rid but if they do, then he has not got a leg to stand on.

If he is on a huge contract as a reward for deferring payments when the club did that, then the club now has a way out of that contract. Again I am not saying it would do this but Feka could not argue if it chose to do so.

The fact as someone else mentioned it didn't sack Clarke or some famous Aussie player did worse is not relevant.

Dave
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I thought the club did sack Clarke after his altercation outside a Wigan Nightclub. I apologise if I am wrong.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:I thought the club did sack Clarke after his altercation outside a Wigan Nightclub. I apologise if I am wrong.
I can't remember but I don't think he lasted long at the club after that incident whether sacked or "let go".

In any case we have different people in charge now with Lydon and IL so its up to them as to how they see Feka being convicted of GBH.

Dave