get behind the team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: get behind the team

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:
GeoffN posted:
thegimble posted:
Most if not all do get behind the team. But can you remember a worse team than this.
Yes.
In the modern era not pre world war 2
:D

Still yes.

Pretty much all through the 70's, following the retirement of Boston and Ashton, including relegation in 1980, and lasting until the signing of Shaun Edwards in '83.
heydude

Post by heydude »

proud_pie_eater posted:
The fans werent exactly supporting the team on saturday booing them off the field! I was disgusted, not with the team but with the way fans rejected the team, they may have played badly but we are not in the 80s anymore! Expecting the team to win every game is totaly unreasonable!
thing is some of the fans pay hard earned money to go and see a performance like that and your wondering why they are booing, you said in another topic success is about how they played the match no matter if they win or lose but saturday was no means a success.
don't eat yellow snow
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I can remember worse teams - I started watching the year we were in Division 2, and we had some pretty average teams in the first few years back, to be honest. But I would imagine that, at the time, we had far fewer resources than we do now. It is certainly the worst team we have had since the year Brett Kenny came to shine light into all of our lives.

The sad thing is that, with a few Kolpak and ex-NRL signings, we could have a good team. If we had, say, Leuluai, Hopkins, Tookey and Haumono in our ranks, we would be a major force again. London have put our team-building to shame - their wage bill is just over a third of ours, and yet most of the team that played on Saturday would improve Wigan's team.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

proud_pie_eater posted:
The fans werent exactly supporting the team on saturday booing them off the field! I was disgusted, not with the team but with the way fans rejected the team, they may have played badly but we are not in the 80s anymore! Expecting the team to win every game is totaly unreasonable!
I was in the Main Stand on Saturday (free tickets) and I didn't hear any booing at the end. Having said that I was too busy shouting 'Wigaaaan' at the top of my drunken voice! Only idiots boo their own team off, no matter how bad they play you don't boo them off, and that's just bull about booing their perfomance and not them, have some respect.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

wish monie was still coach he got the best out of the team. I cant see where weve gone wrong. Is it the salary cap? I just dont know. But ill keep supporting the team through this difficult period.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Ill be there for Leigh and be behind them 100%.

The main problem i saw from London was leadership on the field there was none. Rads isnt a great capt and full backs dont make the best captains, after london got there 3rd try and then we ended up with a goal line drop out, the players had there heads hung low and looking at the ground even Rads. If Faz was there he would have been pointing and shouting at players, they need someone to pick them up and lead them. Maybe give newton a shot if he can control his own discipline like in the last game i think he would be a good choice. The same thing happend with Warrington when briers was capt
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

WiganWarrior posted:
The main problem i saw from London was leadership on the field there was none. Rads isnt a great capt and full backs dont make the best captains, after london got there 3rd try and then we ended up with a goal line drop out, the players had there heads hung low and looking at the ground even Rads. If Faz was there he would have been pointing and shouting at players, they need someone to pick them up and lead them. Maybe give newton a shot if he can control his own discipline like in the last game i think he would be a good choice. The same thing happend with Warrington when briers was capt
u know the only person i've seen shouting at the players and giving them a kicking was adrian lam when he was sent on as the trainer just before we started coming back against widnes the other week! every other game i've been to this season there doesn't seem to be anyone stood up behind the posts really getting the boys going if we've just conceded a try or a drop out...lets hope dennis has the good sense to leave lam in a trainers jersey this week (or maybe ask him if he fancies a game!!)

as for people not being behind the team just because we're critical i think that's absolute rubbish! everyone on here should be behind the boys 100% but that doesn't mean when we see things going wrong we shouldn't talk about them. how many of us saw this as an easy start to the season and could have seen us with at least 8 and probably 10 points right now when the fixtures came out?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Doug Stand, don't wish for things like Murphy coming back, with our luck at the moment it could just happen!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Exhiled Wiganer wants a team full of Kolpak and ex NRL players in our team, I don't know about anyone else but I certainly do not want that.
I want our scouts to find big young lads to come through the ranks like Leeds/Bulls not the good but too small players we are getting now. Put Colborn on the wing he's a big lad, Aspinwall to centre and Wild in the pack where he will be a quick 2nd row and not a slow centre.
Kevin Brown was attracting some empty headed criticism on Saturday about his tackling with one commentator wanting SoL at stand off for his tackling, is that how we have spoiled Danny Orr? I want a creative stand off which Brown is not a defensive one, look at Leeds, they carry Maguire in the defensive line by sticking him next to Senior who is a big useless lump but they get away with it.
In any case the best tackler pound for pound in our team at the moment is Moran because he goes in around the ankles all the time, I know it is easy for him to reach those ankles because he is there anyway but have the rest of the players not noticed that he stops the opposition on the spot instead of getting carried along for 5/10 yards whilst the opposition player is looking around for someone to offload to.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
johnsons_babexx

Post by johnsons_babexx »

You can understand why fans get frustrated though. Like myself and others we had paid out a lot of money to travel down, stay over and then you have to watch your team being walked over.

Totally agree with what someone said earlier that we need some one to yell at the players someone who is involved in the game alot more than the full back is. Dont get me wrong i think rads is cracking but you need a plyer who is involved with plays,scrums etc.

And too make matters worse our hotel was full of kick n claps all with big smug grins on their faces :blush:
Officially PJ'sNo.1.Fan!!

1/3 of the original Nobby's girls - we have the t-shirts to prove it!!!!!