Barrett to join the memories when he leaves?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Barrett to join the memories when he leaves?

Post by ancientnloyal »

I have been thinking - which is an achievment for someone of my stature... To name great overseas players from the past, Kenny, Miles, Botica, Bell roll off the tongue. Even though Trent has decided to cut his stay a year short for family reason (no arguments there) this has potentially meant perhaps less effort/desire to play well this season.

In a few years will be regard Barrett as one of the great ones or will he be in the class of Dallas, Lam or Iro?

There is no question he is world class last year proved that.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Re: Barrett to join the memories when he leaves?

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote:I have been thinking - which is an achievment for someone of my stature... To name great overseas players from the past, Kenny, Miles, Botica, Bell roll off the tongue. Even though Trent has decided to cut his stay a year short for family reason (no arguments there) this has potentially meant perhaps less effort/desire to play well this season.

In a few years will be regard Barrett as one of the great ones or will he be in the class of Dallas, Lam or Iro?

There is no question he is world class last year proved that.
What was wrong with Dallas, Lam and Iro??? :conf: They may not have been great to you, but a lot of supporters would add them to the list of great players for Wigan, Dallas was a very loyal servant to Wigan, Lam was a very good player and was under 21's coach as well so passed on his knowledge, the only thing I have against Iro is that he went to play for saints. But yes Barrett would be with the likes of Hanley, Bell, Botica etc :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
A49

Re: Barrett to join the memori...

Post by A49 »

As far as I can recall he never strutted his stuff against Saints very often.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Let's not forget Lake, Nordgren and Mountford!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

IMO he in the same league as Orr, Moore & Ainscough, 4 or 5 outstanding games a season don't mean didly, there's too much self creaming over Barrett specialy over on that there RLfans
dannydutson

Post by dannydutson »

He has more than 5 games a season. However he is sometimes made to look bad because he has average players around him. i think without him we would be a lot lower in the league. Id go as far as saying he is the most talented player i have ever seen in a wigan shirt and ive been watching a long time. Its just a pity we couldnt watch him when we had other legends at the club
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

medlocke wrote:IMO he in the same league as Orr, Moore & Ainscough, 4 or 5 outstanding games a season don't mean didly, there's too much self creaming over Barrett specialy over on that there RLfans
Orr was a lot better player that both Moore & Ainscough & dont forget he was lumbered with that donkey Moran for most of his time at Wigan and was outstanding when Moran was sacked.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Barrett is one of those places you will remember as being glad you saw him play in the Cherry n White. A world class stand off who has produced moments of magic throughout his two years. The pick up off his shins and then offload for a try v Hull being the latest special play.

The travesty is that having such a player has been awasted opportunity with the collective team not being good enough to deliver a trophy winning platform.

I think Lam was a special player too. Iro also. Dallas, a consumate professional and world class finisher.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

gillysmyhero wrote:
medlocke wrote:IMO he in the same league as Orr, Moore & Ainscough, 4 or 5 outstanding games a season don't mean didly, there's too much self creaming over Barrett specialy over on that there RLfans
Orr was a lot better player that both Moore & Ainscough & dont forget he was lumbered with that donkey Moran for most of his time at Wigan and was outstanding when Moran was sacked.
but was Orr only outstanding due to him being in the shop window, he new Barrett was coming, therefore he had to up his game to get the best possible contract he could off his next employer, if he had been turd he could of ended up with nowhere to go bar NL1.

personally i would have rather of kept Dobson & Orr instead of signing Barrett if it had been possible, maybe we wouldn't be in the place where we are now, certain people on here rattle on about constistency, they partnership was very good to say the least, who knows what they might of achieved (if Orr had carried on playing like he was)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The sad thing is many of the players signed were good players but signed well past their buy by date. At his best Florimo was outstanding in a far tougher competition, likewise Moore.