The Colbon Try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: The Colbon Try

Post by josie andrews »

GeoffN wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
loun wrote:bet colbon was anoyd at not getin the try i am :(
Can you possibly stop writing in txt tlk and abbreviations!!! Not everybody on this site is bilingual
Getting some early modding practice in, Josie?

Well done!

:cool:
I don't know how anybody else feels but it does my head in :eusa17:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
turf

Post by turf »

I totally agree with you Josie.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

josie andrews wrote:
Can you possibly stop writing in txt tlk and abbreviations!!! Not everybody on this site is bilingual
I suspect he possibly can't read either, since I've asked him the same thing twice on this thread as well!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fuji man - try thinking about this.

You are standing on a station platform on your way to the JJB and throw your rugby ball straight up into the air. It comes back down straight to you as you expect - it has not travelled forwards or backwards relative you or the ground.

Later you get on the train to the match and as the train is travelling you lob the ball straight up (not too hard or it will hit the ceiling). The ball again comes straight back down to you as you expect - it has not travelled forwards relative to you. However, whilst it was in the air the ball travelled a long way forwards relative to the ground (so did you at the speed of the train). To compensate for the motino of the train and keep the ball stationary in realtion to the ground, if the train is travelling forwards at 40 mph you would have to throw the ball backwards at 40mph!

See if you can figure out what that means for forwards passes and the balls motions relative to moving players and stationary ground...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Mike wrote:fuji man - try thinking about this.

You are standing on a station platform on your way to the JJB and throw your rugby ball straight up into the air. It comes back down straight to you as you expect - it has not travelled forwards or backwards relative you or the ground.

Later you get on the train to the match and as the train is travelling you lob the ball straight up (not too hard or it will hit the ceiling). The ball again comes straight back down to you as you expect - it has not travelled forwards relative to you. However, whilst it was in the air the ball travelled a long way forwards relative to the ground (so did you at the speed of the train). To compensate for the motino of the train and keep the ball stationary in realtion to the ground, if the train is travelling forwards at 40 mph you would have to throw the ball backwards at 40mph!

See if you can figure out what that means for forwards passes and the balls motions relative to moving players and stationary ground...
I seem to remember Phil Clarke using a train as the best way of describing the momentum rule, except that instead of throwing rugby balls around on the train, he was throwing Stevo off the train...!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

josie andrews wrote:
Had to laugh at that one josie, not sure of the spelling but it had my mind racing :lol: :lol: But then i need help :lol: :lol:

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Mike wrote:fuji man - try thinking about this.

I'm trying but struggling. Let me use another example (albeit in another sport) to try to get my point across. If Ronaldo is steaming down the wing at full pelt and as the ball is just before the dead ball line he crosses it either backwards or sideways towards the penalty box. By the time it reaches the penalty box if it has gone sidways or backwards it will still be in play. If it has gone forwards it will have gone over the line/crossbar and be out of play. Ronaldo at full speed is quicker than a lot of rugby players and therefore would have more forward momentum but the ball goes backwards. If you substitue Ronaldo with say Barret and instead of kicking the ball throwing the ball what would be the difference?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

In a word - friction.

The ball is in almost constant contact with the ground and this slows its forward momentum - although it would probably move forwards slightly if he crossed it exactly square.

Also because in wendyball a football is struck rather than thrown it makes a difference - point and angle of contact etc. so it is probably the that a flat pass involves him kicking it at a slight angle "backwards"

Lastly the rugby ball gains the players momentum as it does not move very much whilst it is carried; whilst a football rolls independently of the player - so the rules of physics apply to it differently

If Ronaldo (or whoever) threw the ball - then exactly the same thing would happen as does with a rugby ball
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Getting briefly back on topic, all the boots'n'all pundits were agreed that both Colbon's and the Catalans disallowed tries should have been allowed.

They also confirmed that Gerry Kershaw was the VR.
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

I didn't think it was a try. I think it hits Pelo on the knee and then hits Colbon on the arm.

Still, water under the bridge and i'll gladly take the point.