Carney for Smith?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
KOOCH

Re: Carney for Smith?

Post by KOOCH »

God wrote:Why would Smith even consider going back after only a short period? or Wigan getting rid.

IMO have the pair of them, competition for places will be rife.Tommy is a very good player when he attacks the line and we sould also keep him. 3 top quality players in the most pivitol and vital positions is what we need.

All this and Tomkins severly knocking on the door is healthy and good for the club imo.

All we need now is a couple of decent props and a line breaking second row and were all set for next season.
Well said god.My sentiments exactly.Quantity and quality makes for a guessing game for the opposition.Who will wigan play this week?Could make it interesting. :D
mikey-warriors

Post by mikey-warriors »

todd carney was fantasic in nrl along side terry campsese
Perpignan 2009

remember remember the 21st of september wigan 31 - 30 bradford

TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

We are signing Carney but smith will be staying.

Tommy will interchange with riddell at 9 with McIlorum adding competition for places. Thats why we are signing Glen hall at prop for a very reasonable price.

FROM A VERY GOOD SOURCE.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

Mathers
Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Pryce
Tod Carney ?
Smith
Fielden
Riddell
Coley
Hock
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Feka
Glenn Hall ?
Leuluai
Hansen
Joel Tomkins
Goulding
Sam Tomkins
Ainscough
O'Carroll
Prescott
Mossop
McIlorum

This is pretty much how our 25 man squad will be shaping up next year. This will give 10 players from our academy system out of a 25 man squad.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:Mathers
Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Pryce
Tod Carney ?
Smith
Fielden
Riddell
Coley
Hock
Bailey
O'Loughlin

Feka
Glenn Hall ?
Leuluai
Hansen
Joel Tomkins
Goulding
Sam Tomkins
Ainscough
O'Carroll
Prescott
Mossop
McIlorum

This is pretty much how our 25 man squad will be shaping up next year. This will give 10 players from our academy system out of a 25 man squad.
Ignoring the academy side of things, how would this work out for the new overseas players rule, given that Harlequins have started releasing EU players who are overseas. By my reckoning, this list has 10 overseas quota players:-

Richards
Phelps
Carmont
Carney
Smith
Riddell
Bailey
Feka
Hall
Leuluai
(Hargreaves?)

Apologies if any of these have somehow become British at some point, but I thought the whole point was to limit the numbers not eligible for a potential GB team and I don't really see Richards ever getting selected for GB even if he is ok for Eire...

It would also limit us recruiting yet more foreigners...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

TRICKY DICKY wrote:We are signing Carney but smith will be staying.

Tommy will interchange with riddell at 9 with McIlorum adding competition for places. Thats why we are signing Glen hall at prop for a very reasonable price.

FROM A VERY GOOD SOURCE.
Now where have i heard that before?
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

pieater-alex wrote:Carney and Smith - the pairing that could have led Australia. What talent if they sort their off field problems.
But if they can't we will be Knackered :conf:

We will see though.

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

ste lord wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:Carney and Smith - the pairing that could have led Australia. What talent if they sort their off field problems.
But if they can't we will be Knackered
Yeah - but we would all be too drunk to care. :lol:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Todd Carney may sign as soon as this week!
Troubled halfback Todd Carney appears destined to salvage his broken career with Super League powerhouse Wigan - but he has already been linked to a return to the NRL as a possible replacement for Manly captain Matt Orford.

It is understood that Carney is close to finalising a one-year deal to resume playing in England after being cut adrift by the Raiders earlier this month after a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents.

Carney is strongly tipped to sign with Wigan, possibly as soon as this week.

The club's chief executive Ian Lenegan has already said he is interested in signing the 22-year-old despite his behaviour off the field.

But it is understood Carney wants only a one-year deal so he can return to Australia for family reasons.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southlandtimes/4662831a6655.html
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

butt monkey wrote:Todd Carney may sign as soon as this week!
Troubled halfback Todd Carney appears destined to salvage his broken career with Super League powerhouse Wigan - but he has already been linked to a return to the NRL as a possible replacement for Manly captain Matt Orford.

It is understood that Carney is close to finalising a one-year deal to resume playing in England after being cut adrift by the Raiders earlier this month after a string of alcohol-fuelled incidents.

Carney is strongly tipped to sign with Wigan, possibly as soon as this week.

The club's chief executive Ian Lenegan has already said he is interested in signing the 22-year-old despite his behaviour off the field.

But it is understood Carney wants only a one-year deal so he can return to Australia for family reasons.
I think the last line in that statement is a stumbling block, IMO. Granted he's world class and it would possibly be truly amazing to see him partner Smith in the halves. But to only sign him for one season isn't really a solution. We would, at the end of next season, be back to square one. What we need is a settled half back pairing. Ok, we've got Smith for next season and possibly the one after that, by which time Tomkins will be more than ready to step up. But if we have a pairing of Carney / Smith we might have a world class pairing but for only one season, surely that's not the answer. Not long term anyway.