No Good Friday fixture

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

No Good Friday fixture

Post by Fujiman »

Just read in the observer that the good friday game will probably be played on Easter Monday instead because of the latics playing on the Sat. Quotes IL as saying we will get a good crowd that day as well. Looks like he's given up on history. So much for our tradition and IL standing up to whelan.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: No Good Friday fixture

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

pieater-alex wrote:You know one thing you have to credit Maurice Lindsey for is he would do anything for Wigan RL and certainly was not afraid to open his gob and would not back down to anyone.

Although again in fairness to Ian Lenegan what can he do?
How about quote the terms of the lease?? Just a thought.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

if its played on the monday, i wont be going. simple as that.

history? **** history says IL.
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

W@nky whelan rattled on about the wendyball fixtures being set in stone for 11 weeks when we had to move the game, how long has the good Friday game been set in stone for, it is an historic occasion FFS,

Surely if we all chip in we could buy a sniper to retire the old fart

(only taking the wee about the sniper, thought i would explain due to some users on here are now residing in cloud cuckoo land where nobody swears or does anything wrong :roll: :wink: )
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I'm not spending another penny in that place again. Nothing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not know if they have used the same interview but there is a full page interview in League Weekly.

Re The stadium;

Question: Finally, if there was a cloud over the end of the season, it was the situation regarding the use of the JJB Stadium ......

IL: I think you have to get things into perspective. When your sharing a stadium with a football or rugby union club, as happens a lot these days, then things like that are always going to happen. I had the same predicament at Harlequins and youve just got to accept it and get on with it.

Dave Whelan owns the stadium and runs the football club so its his perogative to give the football club priority. Weve got a great stadium and this is not a problem as long as you are able to plan ahead. The problems arise when TV bosses move games at short notice, as is their right, and then there are cup ties that are arranged at very short notice. It is just the same elsewhere - ask Hull, Huddersfield or Harlequins, or to a lesser extent Leeds Rhinos.

We can work together to ensure that Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic play at home on alternate seasons at the Easter Period. It's not difficult. The RFL are very good at planning ahead and there is good communication between the RFL, the FA and the Premier League. If we play at home on Easter Monday then I think we would still get the same size crowd as we would on Good Friday.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Fujiman wrote:Just read in the observer that the good friday game will probably be played on Easter Monday instead because of the latics playing on the Sat. Quotes IL as saying we will get a good crowd that day as well. Looks like he's given up on history. So much for our tradition and IL standing up to whelan.
But in fairness, did the wigan club tell Dave wheelan that they wanted the stadium? and before we point out that he should have known, look at the seasons, we are talking about next season, and the latics this season, so the would have to tell dave wheelan during the previous(2007) RL season if you see what i mean.

basically this one is a little sticky, but you would have hoped that given 6 months notice he could rearange the wendyball to the sunday
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

what a f*****g joke this takes the f*****g p**s... :angry: :angry: :angry:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I know it is emotive and I know posters have used the ** but can we moderate our language. Cheers.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Whelan said there would have been no problem with Wigan Warriors playing Bradford Bulls the day before a Wigan Athletic match if only he was informed earlier.

Time to put that to the test then, he can have at least 3 months notice that Wigan Warriors will be playing St Helens at the JJB Stadium the day before Wigan Athletic play. The fact the Saints match will probably be a mid-day kick off it actually gives the ground staff more time than they would have if the Wigan v Bradford game was played at the JJB.

Problem sorted, Wigan can play Saints at the JJB on Good Friday as long as we give Whelan prior notice.