Warriors Announce Pre-Season Dinner

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Announce Pre-Season Dinner

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors can today announce the Club have organised a Pre-Season Dinner on Thursday 29th January in the South Stand Lounge at the JJB Stadium. The evening will get underway at 7pm.

The special event will provide a relaxed opportunity to meet the players and coaching staff ahead of the new season.

Chairman Ian Lenagan and Head Coach Brian Noble will offer their thoughts ahead of the big engage Super League kick off.

The evening will include a 3 course dinner, live entertainment as well as a raffle and auction.

Tickets can be purchased for £50 (which includes vat) by contacting Sam Banks or Louise Williams on 01942 770436 / 01942 770435. A table of 10 will cost £475 Inc VAT.

It promises to be a special evening where the players will also be presented with their new shirts for the 2009 season.
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4405
Another money making exercise at the fans expense. Not sure whether I will be attending or not!!!

(emoticons not working)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Sutty

Re: Warriors Announce Pre-Season Dinner

Post by Sutty »

At £50 per person, there's no way I'll be going. I only paid £25 for a our annual Captains Dinner at the golf club, before Christmas. That was 3 courses and there were guest speakers as well (it wasn't subsidised either, not that I am insinuating that the pre season dinner is being).

I've no problem with the club hosting these sorts of events, the more money we can make for the club the better (provided it is used in an economical, productive and constructive manner). But the club needs to realise that not many people will be willing to shell out at least £50 for a night out and that's before they've bought any drinks, especially in January when most people are still getting over the financial strain that the festive season often brings. A suggestion would be for the club to look at cheaper options than a dinner at £50 per person, especially at this time of year.

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan Warriors can today announce the Club have organised a Pre-Season Dinner on Thursday 29th January in the South Stand Lounge at the JJB Stadium. The evening will get underway at 7pm.

The special event will provide a relaxed opportunity to meet the players and coaching staff ahead of the new season.

Chairman Ian Lenagan and Head Coach Brian Noble will offer their thoughts ahead of the big engage Super League kick off.

The evening will include a 3 course dinner, live entertainment as well as a raffle and auction.

Tickets can be purchased for £50 (which includes vat) by contacting Sam Banks or Louise Williams on 01942 770436 / 01942 770435. A table of 10 will cost £475 Inc VAT.

It promises to be a special evening where the players will also be presented with their new shirts for the 2009 season.
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4405
Another money making exercise at the fans expense. Not sure whether I will be attending or not!!!

(emoticons not working)
It's only at the fans' expense if they can't afford it and are somehow conned into going.

If they can afford it, and/or if they think it's an event worth shelling out for, it can't really be said to be 'at their expense'.

Those who don't want to go - for whatever reason, won't go. No-one will force them.

End of.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Nobby`s Girl wrote:I think Josie may have been referring to the fact that a lot of fans like to attend these special dinners, weather pre-season or end of season, so sounds like Josie is saying that the club know that fans will attend no matter the price. Personally I think at £50 a ticket its asking a bit to much, if a family of 4 wanted to attend then its £200 gone before the season has already stared. We would love to go this pre-season dinner, yes some fans may be able to afford it, but there comes a time when you have to say no.
Much as we'd love it to be, not everything in life is free.

On the face of it, £50 for a night out might be slightly steep, but some King Streeters I know would surely disagree given the ridiculous amount they spend on booze, taxis, kebabs, etc. I suspect that for many it'll actually be about readdressing priorities for this one week rather than being forced out by the club they adore.

Okay, some won't be able to afford it. But there are plenty who can't afford season tickets, or even afford to go to one or two matches.

This is a special even occasion, a once-a-year event. Some might even deem it a worthwhile fund-raiser for the club. To suggest that it's 'yet more exploitation of very loyal fans' - which is the impression I get from the original post, is a very skewed way to protray it and illustrative of the sort of hostility to Wigan RL that appears to be becoming endemic among certain 'loyal fans' on these message boards.

I know it's the close season, but some Wiganers could do worse than find another way to spend the long, chilly nights rather than simply moaning.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Maybe it is intended as a corporate event.

Personally, I did not give it a second glance. However, I was very impressed by the tag tournament announcement.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Cruncher wrote:
Nobby`s Girl wrote:I think Josie may have been referring to the fact that a lot of fans like to attend these special dinners, weather pre-season or end of season, so sounds like Josie is saying that the club know that fans will attend no matter the price. Personally I think at £50 a ticket its asking a bit to much, if a family of 4 wanted to attend then its £200 gone before the season has already stared. We would love to go this pre-season dinner, yes some fans may be able to afford it, but there comes a time when you have to say no.

On the face of it, £50 for a night out might be slightly steep, but some King Streeters I know would surely disagree given the ridiculous amount they spend on booze, taxis, kebabs, etc. I suspect that for many it'll actually be about readdressing priorities for this one week rather than being forced out by the club they adore.

Okay, some won't be able to afford it. But there are plenty who can't afford season tickets, or even afford to go to one or two matches.

This is a special even occasion, a once-a-year event. Some might even deem it a worthwhile fund-raiser for the club. To suggest that it's 'yet more exploitation of very loyal fans' - which is the impression I get from the original post, is a very skewed way to protray it and illustrative of the sort of hostility to Wigan RL that appears to be becoming endemic among certain 'loyal fans' on these message boards.

I know it's the close season, but some Wiganers could do worse than find another way to spend the long, chilly nights rather than simply moaning.
I actually take offence to be labelled as 'certain loyal fan', a lot of people, myself included are being hit by the enconimc climate at the present time and I think that

a) season ticket = £180 approx

b) a charity shirt = £40

c) home & away strip = £80

Thats £300 before the season starts. I go to all away games, as well as attending academy games so to say I am a 'certain loyal supporter' is a touch wide of the mark
:angry: :angry:

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

To be fair. Josie and Gemma are at the other end of the spectrum entirely. Both would knock walls down to support the club and are very positive supporters.

I fall into the Victor Meldrew Wigan RLFC Supporters Branch though :blush: :lol:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

josie andrews wrote:
Cruncher wrote:

I actually take offence to be labelled as 'certain loyal fan', a lot of people, myself included are being hit by the enconimc climate at the present time and I think that

a) season ticket = £180 approx

b) a charity shirt = £40

c) home & away strip = £80

Thats £300 before the season starts. I go to all away games, as well as attending academy games so to say I am a 'certain loyal supporter' is a touch wide of the mark
:angry: :angry:
I agree with what you're saying Josie and understand your point but I also understand Cruncher's point... £50 is a night out for some people (a cheap night on the beers for me, when I was a young drunk :wink:)... For someone who has never been to an event like this and heard the coach speak, met the players etc. I think £50 is pretty reasonable.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:To be fair. Josie and Gemma are at the other end of the spectrum entirely. Both would knock walls down to support the club and are very positive supporters.

I fall into the Victor Meldrew Wigan RLFC Supporters Branch though :blush: :lol:
I don't believe it :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:angry: :angry: :angry: :lol: :lol:

I hate it when people repeat my catchphrase :wink: :)