Warriors Kit 2009 revealed...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Warriors Kit 2009 revealed...

Post by Kiwiseddon »

To me it feels like we've gone back in time. Home shirt's ok but a bit boring. The away shirt's simply awful!

However, all of this is irrelevant next to the fact that the lucky Warriors fans get to walk around with Mecca Bingo written on their chests!! Of all the sponsors...... What were they thinking!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
danny1978uk

Post by danny1978uk »

I just mean, Mecca Bingo. I'm not being rude to the People of Mecca Bingo but it's just the stigma which is attached to it...

I know we are going through a Credit Crunch and everything but we are Wigan Warriors, the Greatest Rugby League team Ever.. Do you get what i'm saying??
Keep the Faith.......

My Better is Better than your Better
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

danny1978uk wrote:I just mean, Mecca Bingo. I'm not being rude to the People of Mecca Bingo but it's just the stigma which is attached to it...

I know we are going through a Credit Crunch and everything but we are Wigan Warriors, the Greatest Rugby League team Ever.. Do you get what i'm saying??
Who do you suggest then, JJB paid us sod all for years, we could have GMB,diggerworld or eric france scrap metal merchants. we could have some dodgy flyby night loan conmpany that will go bust halfway through the season.

Get your head out of your backside, they are a multi million pound company and have given us cold hard cash, we put thier name on our shirts. I am led to believe its a 12 month deal with a second year option, so maybe in twelve months time we can get a sponsor more in line with the "greatest club inthe world" but get real, in finacial terms and for exposure we have won nowt since 2002, if we win something this year we are more saleable.

wigan fans are and always have been glass half full merchants!
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Dawn O

Post by Dawn O »

Lazy J wrote:
danny1978uk wrote:I just mean, Mecca Bingo. I'm not being rude to the People of Mecca Bingo but it's just the stigma which is attached to it...

Who do you suggest then, JJB paid us sod all for years, we could have GMB,diggerworld or eric france scrap metal merchants. we could have some dodgy flyby night loan conmpany that will go bust halfway through the season.

Get your head out of your backside, they are a multi million pound company and have given us cold hard cash, we put thier name on our shirts. I am led to believe its a 12 month deal with a second year option, so maybe in twelve months time we can get a sponsor more in line with the "greatest club inthe world" but get real, in finacial terms and for exposure we have won nowt since 2002, if we win something this year we are more saleable.

wigan fans are and always have been glass half full merchants!
Exactly - I dont think some fans realise how hard it is in this current climate to get someone to sponsor a team. We should be thankful really
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Both kits are nice takes a while to get used to not having JJB on there. They are a bit more expensive than last season but the shirt prices have gone up for other clubs as well.
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

On first impressions both jerseys look awful , These jerseys are not Wigan Rugby .
Had a second thought to persuade myself I`m not nostalgic about our previous kits , but I can`t get my head around that these jerseys are not wigan .
I won`t buy one I`ll wear a previous jersey with cherry and white hoops.
The Mecca bingo display is immaterial .
I wonder who has thought of this design and who`ve they consulted with .

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I always believe you need to look at shirts a few times and ideally in the flesh before deciding upon a final opinion.

When your team plays in hoops then I believe you have to accept that in the modern era of sponsorship the gaps between the hoops is going to have to be bigger. Back in 85, JJB was only added post shirt design, the JJB resembled felt letters bought from Wigan Market. That is never going to happen in 2009 or beyond. The sponsors logo would look silly if it was placed between more hoops with less white IMO. Irregular hoops, you could argue that where some see 1 hoop there are actually 3. Optical illusion ;)

A big plus is a return to cherry instead of red

Reference to our heritage in both shirts is good too. Remember the away shirt replicates a previous Wigan shirt. Surely far better than just using the same design for both kits but changing the colour.

What I do think the club should consider is rather than updating both shirts annually they should retain each shirt for 2 seasons but stagger their introduction so for example keep the home shirt until 2011 but change the away shirt in 2010 and that way place less of a burden on fans financially but still generate annual interest and new revenue. If one shirt per season generates insufficient revenue, they could lead the RFL in calling for a heritage round as in the NRL and produce a one off heritage round shirt.

Not something companies/businesses want to hear but has shirt sponsorship ever influenced you to choose that brand? It never has for me in any sport, in anything. I honestly do not care who sponsors who as long as my club gets some financial benefit and I think there is a hint of snobbishness about the nature of the sponsor. I can think of far far more unpallatible ones. Is the reaction not a tad OTT given as I say are we really influenced by sponsors and 'blue chip' companies could go pear shaped very easily in the next few years.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

i like them both. away top reminds me of the 2002 shirt tho
IN WANE WE TRUST
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Different view
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:I work in Bolton, and im worried if i go into Bolton with the new shirt on will people suddenly start placing prayer mats around my feet and shouting allah at my shirt ! ?

i live there....
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!