Are we getting a Union coach?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Sutty

Are we getting a Union coach?

Post by Sutty »

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rugby_league/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/f ... ddie-jones

This certainly makes for interesting reading. I suspect he is just using our name as a bargaining tool. I wouldn't mind seeing Faz back at the club in some capacity though. I think he'd be as inspirational to us as a coach as Ruben Wiki was to the Kiwis at the world cup.

tom g

Re: Are we getting a Union coach?

Post by tom g »

Could someone please tell me why we would even conider bringing in a coach who has never even worked in the sport before? Seems pretty ridiculous to me!!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Me too, I was just reporting on what I had read.

THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

it doesnt sound too ridiculous to me. think about it - A coach with rugby experience and implementing League tactics in his games, however i would have to have Farrell as his right hand man becuase i beleive Andy would be a great coach because of his knwoledge and his control like when he was captain and could show the Saracens coach a few tricks
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

I personally think he would be a great addition to the club, purely on his experience and contacts. I know it will never appen, but imagine Bryan Habana on the Wigan wing.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

True, but we dont have any South Africans at Wigan :wink:
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

tom g wrote:Could someone please tell me why we would even conider bringing in a coach who has never even worked in the sport before? Seems pretty ridiculous to me!!
Madness eh? Almost as ridiculous as someone like Shaun Edwards going and coaching a top level rugby union team having only played league! As if! It would never work.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

DaiJones wrote:
tom g wrote:Could someone please tell me why we would even conider bringing in a coach who has never even worked in the sport before? Seems pretty ridiculous to me!!
Madness eh? Almost as ridiculous as someone like Shaun Edwards going and coaching a top level rugby union team having only played league! As if! It would never work.
I was wondering when someone would mention this.

The thing is though I think Edwards is a rather unique talent. I also think Edwards had an advantage in what he brought to Union from League helped improve the game and was a bit revolutionary. I know nothing about Jones but I have my doubts he would have a bag of tricks like Edwards possessed that would have RL as eager to learn as RU were from Edwards.

I also think Edwards got in on the job at the right time. As things move on in RU then they will have learned what they need to learn off RL and there will be less scope for an ex-RL person like Edwards to make such an impact. He is also the only one currently in the game at such a high level unless you count Mick Ford. What has Jones got to offer RL that warrants us going after him?

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not know if people remember but the Aussie RU had a fabulous coach called Allan Jones. He was awesome in RU. He tried to move to League to coach Balmain and later Souths. It was a disaster.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Depends on whether this guy is actually coming as some sort of coach or in a more back-room type of role, providing wigan with world-wide built up experience from another sport.

Still think it is a rumour....

How about this
World Cup winner Stephen Kearney wants to become an engage Super League coach.

Kearney masterminded one of rugby league's greatest shocks in November when his Kiwis humbled holders Australia 34-20 at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

New Zealand's victory brought their first World Cup success, 12 months after a 3-0 series beating by Great Britain.

Kearney then returned to his day job as assistant at 2007 NRL champions Melbourne Storm.

But his name is now mentioned whenever a frontline club vacancy occurs. He said: "At some stage I would definitely likely to coach in England before I finish my career." Kearney has made no secret of his admiration for the British game after spending 12 months at Hull FC in 2005.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21095578/
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: