Wigan to sign Gleeson?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shawxshark

Re: Wigan to sign Gleeson?

Post by shawxshark »

hope we do get him he's very good imo. and as for bettin against his own team people who have read my post before know i have a good friend who plys sl and used to play for us. when he was at bradford he said they would all bet on vagana or paul anderson to score first, get near post just pass it to them, if they had key players missing and they knew about it they would bet on opposition to win, doesn't make him a bad person it goes ona hell of a lot they are just using there inside knowlege
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors/Glee ... 5126017.jp
Wigan were today still hoping to strike a deal with Warrington to sign Test centre Martin Gleeson.
Coaches from both camps, Brian Noble and Tony Smith, have distanced themselves from reports that the Wigan-born centre is poised for a switch to his hometown club.

But it is understood that the Warriors are keen to tie-up a deal with the 28-year-old if a fee can be arranged.
Chairman Ian Lenagan issued a firm "no comment" when asked this morning (Tuesday) about the prospect of Gleeson joining Wigan.

Warrington's recently-appointed coach Smith said only "I don't know anything about it" when contacted by the Observer, while Noble was equally as dismissive – though he did admit he was interested in bringing in a world class player.

Rumours of a player-exchange involving out-of-favour backs Darrell Goulding and Richard Mathers began circling at the end of last week. But Mathers is out of action for a month with a hernia and Wigan are reluctant to allow Goulding, 21, to leave permanently.

The Warriors have invested heavily in the academy product and they hope his career will flourish - and sources at Wigan say they would only let him leave on loan to gain more Super League experience.

Asked if there was a deal in place to sign Gleeson, Noble replied: "No. I don't know anything about it at all."

He added: "I've certainly no inkling about whether Martin Gleeson might be available or might not be available, there's no doubt that we're scratching our heads about what's best suited to this team, that we don't panic buy.

"There's no doubt that if you look at my statements from over the last
12 months I think we need to add to the team. I'm really pleased with the way we've grown but at the end of the day we need more quality than we have at the moment, and I'm not being disrespectful to our players."
My bold. Quite right too, if we can trust those statements.
juanpablo

Post by juanpablo »

Can we drop the will he wont he about Gleeson believe me I know hes signed if I could mention names I would but I cant!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Is Goulding as bad as Phelps?

Give it his defence isnt superb he's only 21 and with proper drilling he can become an avaerage defender... his attack is good.

So we have KP and Phelps, letting go of Goulding?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Why do the same people who criticise our club for signing over the hill Aussies with behavioural problems want Gleeson who has seen his best days,left Saints under a cloud and is the first to be allowed to leave Wire in Smiths clear out.It is ridiculous and shows a lack of consistency in what is wrong at Wigan.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Anyone know Who gleeson played for before he went to Saints?
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

gillysmyhero wrote:Anyone know Who gleeson played for before he went to Saints?
He played for a team in Australia before moving to Huddersfield for 2 years.

As for Darrell Goulding he is far better than Cameron Phelps. Gouldings defence is questionable but he has been working on it, Cameron Phelps can't even get the basics of tackling right.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

:D They asked for farrell and thornley

Nice try wire :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Phelps is useless and would not get a game at the Bulldogs this season. They have a 16 year old kid playing who is already 100 times better than Phelps.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Shows the club is going to be stuck with deadweight in the next few years eating a chunk of the salary cap.

Fielden scenario for more years.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."