Wigan to sign Gleeson?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
juanpablo

Re: Wigan to sign Gleeson?

Post by juanpablo »

I think to sign Brough is a good move but to make him captain is a joke not that I agree with out current captain. If you think Tim Smith has a drinking problem you should see Danny Brough he can drink!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I find it very hard to believe that the unanimous opinion on this is that Gleeson is a has been. He is an absolutely world class player. having had the privilege of watching the World Cup semi in Brisbane, that night he stood out in exalted company. There is no comparison between Goulding and Gleeson.
No comparisons are being made, except their ages. No one claims Goulding is as good as Gleeson but what some of us do not want is Gleeson's signing to signal the exit of Goulding.

A two year deal for Gleeson with Goulding retained would be fine, provided Goulding was given the opportunities for first team football.
I for one rate Senior very highly and he 34 (that's a guess). Gleeson is also a better 6 than anything we have at the club, and a Wiganer, so it is like when we brought Lydon and Greg home in one sense.
Senior plays in a very good side and just because he has managed to play on until 34 does not mean Gleeson will be capable of the same. Senior is exceptional in his longevity for a back.
On Goulding, I would like him to be a world beater, but I haven't seen anything in him that makes me think he will even be as good as Carmont. We can blame Noble for that, just as we can say that players like Prescott and Tomkinses improve despite Noble. It seems hard to argue both, but plenty on here seem to manage it. My opinion is that Pryce and Thornley both stand a better chance of being world class centres in a few years than Goulding, and we are right to be investing time and effort in Thornley. If Goulding was ever going to be world class he would have had the impact on the team that Ainscough and Sam have had in a handful of games, in my opinion.
You need be careful here because there is nothing to say the pair of them won't tail off. Goulding had a similar impact to them coming off the bench in 2007. How they go next season is going to determine their likely status in the game. IMO Goulding has done very little worng, a lot right yet gets stick for things Ainscough would be forgiven. Goulding is all of a sudden given no leeway for some reason.
On IL, I don't care what he says, and whether I trust him or not. I have only met him once, and didn't warm to him, but my sole concern is the team. I can see why he would say that we hardly have any money left as it dampens expectations and perhaps keeps the millions of agents who link our club to every player on the market, less ammo to do so. If that is his logic, it is perfectly sound.
So if IL has not been telling the truth about how much money we had available what happens next time he says it? The agents won't believe it never mind the fans.

Doing this is the politics of the playground not something I'd expect a successful businessman to indulge in. The best way to deal with agents is I would have thought to state what you are prepared to pay for a player and walk away if they won't budge. They will soon learn IL is not an easy mark. Lying in the hope agents will drop the demands of their players will work once if at all.
Finally, I think Brough is exactly the sort of player the team needs. I would make him captain pronto as well - he was great in that role for Scotland.
If Brough did come what happens to TL, McIllorum and Sam T?

I'd hazard a guess McIllorum would become Goulding MkII with little further opportunities this season when he has looked better than Riddell in most games he has played.

Dave
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am always flattered when Dave O takes the trouble to demolish my arguments.
Goulding did not make as favourable an impression on me as Ainscough and Tomkins because he has never seemed super fast, super agile, super skilful or super large, and these are I think key attributes in a centre. I must have missed those games when he looked the real deal, and as he has played so little in the last couple of years, I may be drawing the false conclusion that he could never be international class. Apologies for that.
Ainscough has speed, balance and can beat a man. These are the key attributes for a winger. He may have bad days in defence, but he will make it. Tomkins has a complete game, speed, vision, passing ability, courage and good defence. If I was to bet on any Wigan player playing for England in 2013, it would be him. We are very lucky to have him.
On IL, my point was simply that I can't get worked up about "playground psychology" (Dave O must have gone to a very good school) - as long as the owner improves the team each year I'll be happy. Plus, he has been good for the Quins, despite having very little to work on.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

pieater-alex wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:Deleted, doesn't take much doing but crashed my comp and some people are at work when they use this site.

Gaz
Apologies people but you shouldn't have been on this site at work anyway :wink:

No but in all seriousness sorry for any inconvenience :)
No probs I thought it was quite funny til my computer crashed but if some naughty people are using the site at work we don't want them getting into any trouble ;)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just been on boots n all... still at a rumour stage but seems likely to be announced very soon.

mathers, goulding and cash... for gleeson.

*shakes head*
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

Heard word from a friend of my dads who is in London, who knows people within the RFL that Gleeson has definatly signed a Contract with Wigan for next season, details such as how long and if a swap has occured is unsure but definatly the fact that he will be playing for next season!
ajsefc

Post by ajsefc »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:
TomThumb wrote:Whatever mate!! Grow up!!
??? random? i simply dont agree with your opinions...no crime surely? maybe its you who should grow up. taking your ball home it seems..

we're all entitled to out opinions surely?
Now now boys, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, it's just a difference of opinion that has got you in this armwrestle.
I think were making mountains out of molehills now lets see if we can be friends, Rome wasn't built in a day so it may be a while before we're all friends.
I hope this helps, yours truly Brian Noble :)
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

ajsefc wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:
TomThumb wrote:Whatever mate!! Grow up!!
??? random? i simply dont agree with your opinions...no crime surely? maybe its you who should grow up. taking your ball home it seems..

we're all entitled to out opinions surely?
Now now boys, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, it's just a difference of opinion that has got you in this armwrestle.
I think were making mountains out of molehills now lets see if we can be friends, Rome wasn't built in a day so it may be a while before we're all friends.
I hope this helps, yours truly Brian Noble :)

:lol: very good BN!

now bugger off out the job! :wink:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Yes, but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette....
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Read my lips, no more soundbites.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."