Academy lose opening match of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Academy lose opening match of the season

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan 10 Hull 16

1 Jack Murphy
2 Danny Parkinson
3 David Parkinson
4 Gareth Melling
5 Matthew Russell
6 Declan McLoughlin
7 Sam Powell
8 Adam Davies
9 Liam Thompson
10 Kieron Harrison
11 Matt Sarsfield
12 Johnny Molloy
13 Matthew Crowe
14 Tom Halsall
15 Adam Jones
16 Tom Spencer
cpwigan

Re: Academy lose opening match of the season

Post by cpwigan »

Morph wrote:Best sack the coach! :lol:
Worryingly the coach is also head of youth development.

All in all a very poor effort. Difficult conditions with a typically strong Orrell wind blow down from the Clubhouse end. One that was neither utilised nor respected.

Molloy a Year 2 player was the best on show for Wigan. Russell was the best of the new signings. He took his try well. Powell who has been playing for St Pats was industrious. I presume he is on a pay as you play deal. It was good to see Thompson return after 12 months out following a serious injury albeit in the unusual position of hooker.

Some of the Year 2 and in one case Year 3 players were really poor in terms of stepping up to the plate and setting an example/directing the team around the pitch. If Melling, Harrison, Sarsfield and McLoughlin do not improve this will be their last season at Wigan contracts permitting. Melling is in his 3rd season and he did not stand out. The new signings did not look special. However, it was their first game and one where they were not given an easy introduction by the lack lustre efforts of their more experienced team mates.

A game plan? Did it exist? If so it was flawed and took no account of the conditions. In the second half Wigan went to the last tackle repeatedly before kicking instead of basing kicks on field position and kicking within their 40 irrespective of the tackle. Powell kicked 1 40-20 and wigan failed to wake up to this tactic. Indeeed, it is often better to kick from well within your half and early on the count to save your own effort and make the opposition run 50+ yards to retrieve the ball. A scrum on the Wigan 10 yard line was a perfect opportunity to kick straight from and let Melling chase.

Passing is difficult in windy conditions. So why oh why did the Wigan youngsters try to throw long cut out passes. Tofday was aday to kick well, keep the opposition penned in their own half and scoot/link pass. Nothing fancy. Just hard graft.

One of the dumbest efforts by a Wigan junior team I have seen in a long time.
CBWarrior

Post by CBWarrior »

16 was Tom Spencer
3 was also parkinson

Yes...the same guy...he was THAT good :)
Nah not really, brothers Danny and David I think.

I agree with CP's account of the match. I didn't think that Wigan where organised enough going forwards, at one point, wigans 6 took the ball and ran 20M sideways looking for someone to run onto the ball (nobody did, and he had to take the tackle)

He jumped up shouting "For F**k's sake! Listen to the calls!"

Oh, and Ill try and get tomg to post the teamsheet, he had one.
Likely_Lad

Post by Likely_Lad »

How did David Parkinson play?
The poster formerly knows as Wizard_Millward.

I wasn't as fit or strong as before but my two biggest muscles still worked - my heart and my head - Kris Radlinski.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Likely_Lad wrote:How did David Parkinson play?
The centre Parkinson was better than the wing Parkinson.

To be honest it was such a poor display that outside backs would have struggled to look outstanding.

The worst thing for me was seeing the big Hull 8 running unopposed to score a try.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Anybody know what hashappened to Ryan King?
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

Playing in the u21's team this weekend if my mind serves me correct CP :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cheers Brad. What's the score re Thompie. Are they planning to make him a hooker? He is wasted if they are.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

not sure on the hooker situation will have to get back to you on that
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Thanks for the report CP,

Any standouts for Hull FC ?

I know that Tom Briscoe has a younger brother Jack who has big raps on him, not sure if he played.