Karl Price

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ashtonned

Re: Karl Price

Post by ashtonned »

[quote="TWO EYED WARRIOR]The whole attitude at wigan stinks [/quote]

That is the caue of all the problems at the club for me. This has been the way for years and it needs sorted out asap from top to bottom.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

One of the major disappointments for me is that he doesn't look to be getting any fitter.
Since most Wigan speccys were at the Barrow end of the ground for the first half of our recent cup match most of you probably missed this.
About half an hour into the first half, Karl Pryce was on his hands and knees on the 25 yard line at the end Wigan were attacking, being physically sick on the pitch. OK, it was a very hot day, but the lower league opposition coped with the conditions and the step up in pace.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

i just cant work it out though i mean the guys job is to train he has nothing else to do!. I work 37.5 hrs a week and i still manage to get enough training in to play numerous sports and go for 1 hr runs. Now im not for one second comparing my sporting events to a superleaague match but when i was at uni i played 80mins of rugby at stand-off so i was involved in many of the plays without it bothering me 2 much and that was off 2 training sessions a week (1hr) and a couple of runs in between work and copious amounts of beer. Again the level of intensty bears no comparison but what im saying is i managed to play the full 80 with almost no training and a students lifestyle, Now if it was my soul job to train and thats what i did for a living how can you not be fit?!?!!??!?!? please someone explain how this can possibly be so?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have to agree with Wigan Forever I think. Fancy training facilities mean nothing. Surely, what you need is a real tough taskmaster to drive players on to make them fitter / faster etc and if that means Rivington Hill or whatever so be it. Not sure if the Aussies still do it but they used to hit the sand for running etc because it was bloody hard running on the stuff. Ours would ask for the suntan lotion.

TEW I think mentioned Ray Price. After games he used to ice himself straight away. He would then keep setting his alarm and wake up through the night to apply fresh ice packs. Imagine the modern player doing that.

Modern Society is namby pamby enough with Pro Sport going the same way. I cannot believe coaches whining about the Easter fixtures. Use your squad if you think it is so wrong but do not give me any rubbish about players being bigger now. They were bigger back then, they were rougher too, they often worked and trained, they even played 2 games in 48 hours. Maybe modern conditioning provides excuses not solutions. Look at the Army they get men fit through a no we will not wipe your backsides for you mentality.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ancientnloyal wrote:this great indy website sponsors Mr. Pryce...

£25 a pop. Theo Pathitis would make a better investment if i offered him 3% in my company that makes paper nappies for kangaroos
only payed 5 brick me sen like, thank god i couldn't afford the full whack :lol:
Wigan_forever1985

maybe your on to something there cp, why not get an army or forces guy in to help stamina training, as lets face it stamina is stamina its not like you can train it wrong for any sport.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Had to laugh at dinnertime reading the interview with Justin Morgan spouting on about people should recognise that they are now playing in the modern age of professional rugby league. Imagine trying to tell Dean Bell or Shaun Edwards that their bodies weren't up to two games in four days. Anyone remember "Mission Impossible" when we played something like 6 games in 14 days in the late eighties to win the league ?
Could anyone imagine that happening with the mindset currently running through our club.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Wigan_forever1985

Shaun1967 wrote:Had to laugh at dinnertime reading the interview with Justin Morgan spouting on about people should recognise that they are now playing in the modern age of professional rugby league. Imagine trying to tell Dean Bell or Shaun Edwards that their bodies weren't up to two games in four days. Anyone remember "Mission Impossible" when we played something like 6 games in 14 days in the late eighties to win the league ?
Could anyone imagine that happening with the mindset currently running through our club.
i was actually thinking about that myself today its on the cherry and white memories vid, if i remember rightly they won all the matches too
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Wigan_forever19 85 wrote:maybe your on to something there cp, why not get an army or forces guy in to help stamina training, as lets face it stamina is stamina its not like you can train it wrong for any sport.
Actually you can get it very wrong. Different sports require a different levels of stamina and different levels of sport require different stamina as well. Going further than that some players would require different levels of stamina depending on there task within the game.

Props and wingers are obvious example we don't want wingers playing 30 minutes flat out then needing a 10 minutes rest you want the wingers to go the full 80.

Improving stamina can be very hard because it has to be balanced with recovery. Being able to play for 80 minutes at a pace better than every other club might seem good but its useless if the recovery time is two weeks.

What Wigan need is someone who knows rugby league fitness inside out and who can get individual players to there perfect level of fitness; stamina, weight and speed.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is an excuse culture. As others have said you got in the bloody defensive line come what may, you buckled down in training and you drove yourself on. I actually find all this but our super duper players are so much better than those of yesteryear. Yea right. They are pussys today compared to those so called weaklings.

Every coach that has whined about the schedule over Easter should be fined their wages over this period IMO.