Michael Dobson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ferreira

Re: Michael Dobson

Post by ferreira »

terry newton has defo signed he wouldnt tell his wife friends and family if he hadn't. so if smith does decied to leave it is newton mcilourm 9's tommy and sam just need a good 6 what all ways makes me think why not lockeyer for one season will be a gd signing just for sam. then 2010 we will have a good strong balanced play makers.
Glynola

Post by Glynola »

ferreira wrote:terry newton has defo signed he wouldnt tell his wife friends and family if he hadn't. so if smith does decied to leave it is newton mcilourm 9's tommy and sam just need a good 6 what all ways makes me think why not lockeyer for one season will be a gd signing just for sam. then 2010 we will have a good strong balanced play makers.
Terry loves a bit of mischief!

I imagine he is happy to stir such rumours as it can only help him with his contract renewal with Bradford.

That said if he did come back to Wigan I would see him possibly playing as prop rather than hooker.

But have to say I really don't think we'll see him in the cherry and white again.
Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just makes me want to set myself on fire!
cook123

Post by cook123 »

If tim smith leaves we certainly need to replace him with a 7 who can guide a team around the park tommy or sam tompkins cannot do this.
Dobson would be a decent signing to fill this roll is a great open field kicker too better than we have at the min.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I cannot see us signing a top hooker. We are stuck with Pig IMO. I am led to believe there is far less money in the pot than people think and that includes the Bailey money.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:I cannot see us signing a top hooker. We are stuck with Pig IMO. I am led to believe there is far less money in the pot than people think and that includes the Bailey money.
Depends who else leaves, but I agree we certainly don't need another hooker.

Both Sam T and McIlorum are contracted till the end of next season, and TL & Piggy even longer.

IMO, Tommy & Sam have to be our main halves, with Piggy & Mac at hooker. We've enough players who can fill in in case of injuries.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I cannot see us signing a top hooker. We are stuck with Pig IMO. I am led to believe there is far less money in the pot than people think and that includes the Bailey money.
I think we will be in pretty much the same boat as last season with far less cash available than people assume because of who we have signed up and who is leaving.

We have already signed TL up again and the only other senior players who's contract are up are Bailey and I think he would be on "good pro" wages rather than "world class player" wages even if he was a Mo signing, and Coley who will be similar I think. Smith won't be on a packet either.

So what does Bailey and Colet's wages get you?

Mind you I am not even convinced now the rules have changed Nobby won't want to give Bailey another deal.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Baileys wages will be used to fund Gleeson and improved deals for other existing players. Financial necessity rather than choice will see Bailey leave. A SL club will probably sign him.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO wrote: I think we will be in pretty much the same boat as last season with far less cash available than people assume because of who we have signed up and who is leaving.

We have already signed TL up again and the only other senior players who's contract are up are Bailey and I think he would be on "good pro" wages rather than "world class player" wages even if he was a Mo signing, and Coley who will be similar I think. Smith won't be on a packet either.
Add Carmont to that list. I'm undecided whether he'll be worth extending; I don't think he's been as effective this season, and he'll be 32 next year. There's also Phelps, not sure how much he'll be on.

CP is right in that some youngsters contracts will need improving, especially Ainscough, and possibly Flanagan, if we decide to keep him.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:Baileys wages will be used to fund Gleeson and improved deals for other existing players. Financial necessity rather than choice will see Bailey leave. A SL club will probably sign him.
We need to sign at least a top class prop and a quality No7 if the club is to go forward in 2010. We also need to decide if the likes of Phelps and Carmont will be able to cut the mustard next season.

If we were called St Helens then we would be able to accomodate Gleeson, improve the contracts of our young players and yet still sign top players from down under. Who are they going to ditch once Soliola arrives? Or will the powers that be at Saints wave their magic financial wands again! I suggest that IL goes to the Harry Potter school of magic or reassesses the salaries that we are paying to avearage players.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Frazzle

Post by Frazzle »

I heard that Dobson is going to Gateshead due to family reasons, and that it is a tranquil scene.