Wigan lose to wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Re: Wigan lose to wire

Post by Sutty »

We simply don't offer any threat to an opposition with a good defence. Considering the posession we had in the first 8 mins, we should have at least scored twice, yet we seem largely bereft of ideas near the opposition line. Are our playmakers having their natural skills coached out of them that much?

Coley did ok going forward but Feka didn't do as much as usual, running back towards the ruck area too much and without his usual skittling of players. Sam seemed to come in and out of the game. I thought wire did a good job on Hock and he offered little threat cos they allowed him very little time / room on the ball. Some of Roberts' defence was outstanding, showed some great decision making when coming in off his wing to snuff out the threat of the wide out wire players. I thought Ainscough did quite well with ball in hand but had a shocker defensively, did he even touch King before King grounded the ball? Never mind challenging him for it. If he was expecting to get out jumped (which there is no shame in admitting, given the height differential) shouldn't he have made a concerted effort to smash King into touch as soon as he landed, or at least tried to hold him up?
Coley did well going forward but I counted at leat 4 penalties that he gave away, that's just ridiculous. Again, Fielden really tries and no one can accuse him of not taking the ball up hard enough, he just seems totally ineffective. Is it his running style or what?
There was some strange decision making going on as well. When we kicked early in the tackle count, no one seemed to be expecting it and it never worked to our advantage. Phelps was really quiet and offered little, a pretty average performance.

To surmise (and I'm sick of feeling like this after most matches this season) our effort was there but the killer instinct and the conviction was lacking.
I'll still be sat in the East Stand though, as soon as I get back from my holidays.

the grinch

Post by the grinch »

instead of lenigan looking for players he should find us a coach up to the task. the ref was ussless warry didnt even tap the ball in the right spot when they got there massive amount of penalties. thayler is proving himself a match for ashley clown and i didnt think that was possible.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
pedro

Post by pedro »

Ref wasnt so bad as he gave us everything in the first half. We are clueless in attack. Thought the forwards were ok Fielden cancelled out Morley. MM is an awesome hooker just a shame he gets subbed by the minute for the worst hooker we have had since Mark Reber. Thought Roberts was our best back today. problem is the only person who can beat a defence is Smith and he wasnt playing.

Very disappointed as we were poor, very poor with ball in hand.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I thought it was a great first half, when Wigan held possession for the best part of 8 minutes I thought it was going to be their night, but at the same time wondered how they only managed one try.

The second half was SOOO frustrating to watch. As soon as I got into it there was a penalty or lost possession. I thought the ruck was really messy from both sides and Wigan gave away some stupid penalties. The Fielden one for not clearing the ruck (after tackling Carvell) and McIllorum for pushing Briers were more akin to North West Counties than a professional side. I felt that was the difference tonight.

To be fair to Warrington, after a poor first 10 minutes they looked so strong defensively. Wigan too, considering the poor discipline, defence was also very strong. For those calling Noble, I think the team that was beaten against Hull KR last week and Warrington this week are far superior to the games at the beginning of the year. Definately much more entertaining games to watch and that's what I want to see.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Problem is Rob both them teams are/were garbage.
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Oh well. Wire look a much better team under Smith, I hope Lenegan is taking notice of what a good coach does with a team...
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Bridge made no attempt to clear the ruck what so ever; all night - he also got a away with a blatant high shot at the end (which surprise, surprise, thaler missed). Whenever a wire player dramatically fell back to the ground after being tackled they got a penalty. Other way round fat-boy thaler (and I am guessing he is on the same diet as ganson) just shouted "get up".

Monaghan never took a single tap from the correct position - even cliff richards clarke mentioned it in sky's God awful commentary. The push penalty was simply briers proving what a cheat he is and always has been (as he did with the trip on Ainscough). I don't know if it's a tactic of smith; but wire are certainly trying to get a penalty at every play of the ball.

We didn't have enough ideas going forward and we certainly didn't look as dangerous as we have of late (first 8 minutes aside).

Riddel was probably our worst player tonight for me. I was supportive of him when he came and I have been hoping that he will come right; but I have to admit that he is looking like a complete waste of space. He looks more like a retired prop than a dangerous hooker.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

thaler was awful to both teams ,though he did let wire lie on in the tackle and never saw their head shots
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The bottom line is that v Hull KR and Wire we lost close games because we struggle to convert pressure into points and it happens virtually everytime we lose. Our attacking game is poor. 2 tries in 80 minutes v KR 1 try v WIre with no tries scored for 70 minutes.

The players are flogging themselves silly banging their heads against brick walls. They are shedding blood and for what? loss after loss. They remind me of WWI troops being sent over the top by General Haig.

They produce great games for tension etc but they make every team they play v look brilliant defensively and whatsmore the longer the games goes on the more those teams feel confident and think there is nothing to hurt us v this mob and over the 80 minutes they ask a few more questions of our defence and get the vital points.

I feel so sorry for the players because they give their all but the team lacks key players in key positions to make a difference and they system of play with ball in hand is not good enough to compensate for that failing.
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

wonder how long it takes that idiot primrose n blue to appear on the site.

Its funny how he pokes his head up when wire look like winning a couple of games.

but to be fair we were out coached tonight, wire had more go forward and desire to win than wigan, we just simply dont know how to finish a game off or how to take a game forward when our first plan fails.

See yah nobby and please take fielden with you!!!!!!!!!!