Gareth Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Gareth Hock

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Official Statement

Wigan Rugby League Club yesterday received formal confirmation from UK Sport and the RFL that player Gareth Hock has tested positive for a prohibited substance. The presence of Benzoylecgonine (a metabolite of cocaine) was discovered in the A:Sample Test taken at the Wigan game against Salford City Reds on 5th June 2009.

Pursuant to Article 7.2.3. of the Anti-Doping rules of the RFL, Gareth has been charged with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation and his Registration has been Provisionally Suspended by the RFL awaiting the B:Sample Test on June 30th. Whilst subject to a Provisional Suspension, a player may not participate in any capacity in any competition, event or other activity organised, convened, authorised or recognised by the RFL or by any other body that is a member of, or affiliated to, or licensed by the RFL.

The Club was informed of the situation on Monday 22nd June and joins with the RFL and UK Sport in deploring and condemning the use of drugs in sport including so-called recreational drugs.

Under the RFL Rules, if it is established that the player has committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation, a period of ineligibility of two years shall be imposed. In exceptional circumstances where an athlete can show he bears no fault or negligence for the Anti-Doping Rule Violation, where an athlete can show he bears no significant fault or negligence for the Anti-Doping Rule Violation or where an athlete provides substantial assistance to the RFL or UK Sport which results in the discovery of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation by another person, the period can be reduced.

Neither the club nor player will be making any further comment on this matter until the investigation by UK Sport is completed.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=4880
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hopefully not. It may be a wake up call. I hope it is. He is one of the most incredibly talented attacking players in world RL with ball in hand. Other players have returned after 2 year bans.

I am gutted for fans, the club. You cannot legislate for the choices individuals make. We need to get behind the team and hope the announcement galvanizes the players to be a team and overcome the loss of such a great player.

I hope Gaz Hock uses the 2 years to change his lifestyle and does not throw away any more years of a fantastic career. He was entering his peak years IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cumbria_warrior wrote:What is the B:sample test anyway? also what happens if this is clear?
They double check the positive test CW but I have not known any to come back different from the original.

As the statement says he is suspended immediately. Once the B test comes back he will be banned from sport for 2 years and have his contract with Wigan RLFC terminated.
willie c

Post by willie c »

cumbria_warrior wrote:innocent until proven guilty, nobody knows this is true yet as there has been no announcement has there? lets just see before we all slate one of our current best players
been confirmed now and the man is bloody idiot playing for the greatest club in the world should be a big enough buzz without haveing to take that crap
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shevington wrote:check the wigan official site... it is on there.
Yes it is and as it says if the B sample proves positive on 30th June he gets an automatic two year ban.
complete and utter idiot.
Quite.
they should test the lot of the team, would be interested to see how many players we would have left.
They will test the whole team and players from other teams as well but you can prevent drugs showing up - do a google search. You can even buy stuff that is supposed to help.

Dave
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

A sad day for Gareth, Wigan and Great Britain.

A tremendous player but unfortunately Gaz has not abided by the rules and (subject to the B sample confirmation) he will have to pay the ultimate price.

A disappointing season just got a whole lot worse!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

A dark day in what has fast become a dark season for the club. he has been one of our best players this season and getting high praise for his international performances.

i am saddened and embarressed by the press we will recieve. can this season get any worse than this.
danny1978uk

Post by danny1978uk »

Gutted, Simply Gutted. I don't care what anyone say's i thought he was the spark in this poor poor season....

I really hope it's untrue and the 2nd test turns out wrong, but! if it doesn't Gareth has made the biggest mistake of his life and i hope he realise's how much he has let the Club, himself and the fans down.

Gutted. :(
Keep the Faith.......

My Better is Better than your Better
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

Well what a complete kick in the nuts. Can't described how disappointed I feel.

Is Gareth capable of coming back from this? I doubt it.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

how does anybody think the club will respond to this and how the team will respond to this. Since the Celtic match up to this news the club has been in one of its worse times in years