Gareth Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
weststand-rich

Re: Gareth Hock

Post by weststand-rich »

Sorry Mick,

I started off thinking I couldn't disagree with you more. But after a bit of thought I'm not so sure. How should the club deal with this longer term?

It looks virtually certain that his contract is to be terminated (after reading Kevin Browns comments in the Sun) and he's checking into rehab? If he has had a (re)dabble on the beak (it is possible cynics out there :roll: ) and been caught out, then tough. He needs to go.

But if he has an addiction problem, then I'm sure employers have a 'duty of care' (it's like listening to Nobby) to help treat an employees disease. How then do the club terminate his contract?
Woodentop07

Post by Woodentop07 »

I know people say about him being from a rough estate and most would describe him as a loose cannon but has the lad had personal tragedy that makes his up bringing worse than everyone elses??
Wigan til i die!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

weststand-rich wrote:Sorry Mick,

I started off thinking I couldn't disagree with you more. But after a bit of thought I'm not so sure. How should the club deal with this longer term?

It looks virtually certain that his contract is to be terminated (after reading Kevin Browns comments in the Sun) and he's checking into rehab? If he has had a (re)dabble on the beak (it is possible cynics out there :roll: ) and been caught out, then tough. He needs to go.

But if he has an addiction problem, then I'm sure employers have a 'duty of care' (it's like listening to Nobby) to help treat an employees disease. How then do the club terminate his contract?
If it is an addiction the empolyee cant just sack hima s he will be covered under the DDA and they should support him through it with rehab and so on.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:IMO, we also have a case of lack of seniority at the club coupled with a coach who doesnt seem to have control.

The senior players would always used to get hold of the youger lads and take them under there wing or straigten them out.The coach would set the standards of discipline required.

The senior playerswould enforce it !
wondered how long it would be before it became Nobby's fault.
Perhaps you want the club to tag all the players so they know where they are all the time.

If if turns out to be true (not holding out much hope at the moment), then there is no one to blame but himself.
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Woodentop07 wrote:I know people say about him being from a rough estate and most would describe him as a loose cannon but has the lad had personal tragedy that makes his up bringing worse than everyone elses??
A lot went on in his life far beyond simply where he lives. He actually changed his name IIRC to signify a fresh start.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

This is not a Noble or IL issue. Drug taking in RL has been going on for decades. it has in all sports. Our club has been on the slide since the mid to late 90's. Those with some knowledge know that players left Wigan before Noble or IL ever came and now have successful RL careers. Other clubs moved players on too because they were using such substances.
Woodentop07

Post by Woodentop07 »

The biggest thing that I feel is that someone must have known.
Hock will be good friends with other players, did they know??
Did Noble know?? Did Lenegan know??
It is such a waste of talent.
I had a promising rugby career in front of me until a shoulder injury finished me at the age of 20. I was very down for a while as rugby was my life at the time.........did I ever think about drugs?? No. Even though my friends were taking drugs on nights out, I never once thought of doing drugs.
No matter what hardships or personal tragedy people have in their lives the one thing they always have is choices.
No excuses for Gareth, who was the one player I always looked forward to seeing play. Gave his all and very talented but he has lost it all.
Wigan til i die!!
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

cpwigan wrote:
Woodentop07 wrote:I know people say about him being from a rough estate and most would describe him as a loose cannon but has the lad had personal tragedy that makes his up bringing worse than everyone elses??
A lot went on in his life far beyond simply where he lives. He actually changed his name IIRC to signify a fresh start.
Indeed, his family name was Charnock but baggage comes with certain names....
jammie

Post by jammie »

we have recently taken in players from overseas with certain 'issues'and given them a chance to re-build there careers,the anger has past now from when i first heard the news,and has turned to sorrow for gaz,if this was his only way of copeing with the problems he has in his life,then it's clearly time to help one of our own,i am not condoning what he has done and it won't be possible to keep him at the club in a playing capasity if the b test comes back positive, but i hope everybody connected with the club stands by him,helps him and he isn't comletely cut adrift.as far as i know rugby was his life and to suddenly push him away could do more harm than good.i am sure noboddy is more upset and scared than gaz himself,only he knows if and why he got into this mess.we call ourselves 'the rugby league family'i hope if he asks for the help of this family it will be given by one and all
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Hi Mick,

I think your right. The club will have to let him go, but at least could spin something positive by offering support and pragmatic help. At the very least it should act as a cautionary tale for up and coming talent.

In ten years time:

"Remember Gareth Hock. He could have been brilliant if it wasn't for......"