Gareth Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cumbria_warrior

Re: Gareth Hock

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I would like to see the club help Gareth out at this difficult time. We all make mistakes in life, maybe not as big a mistake but after all Gareth has done for the club and give his all week in week out playing on pain killing injections etc and putting his body on the line, I think he deserves all the fans support too. yes he has been daft and I am not trying to justify his actions but at the end of the day he is a warrior
TedMac

Post by TedMac »

For all his faults and eccentricities, Gaz is a fantastic second rower. I am very sad that this has happened, for the team because it will be minus one of its very best players, and for Gaz because he was on the edge of becoming really world class.
This really has been a bad season.

I hope Wigan don't just cut him off and forget him because I worry about what will happen to him if he's cast adrift.

TedMac
Ted Mac
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I will say this. Gaz Hock seemed to have come of age. Sounds ironic saying that doesn't it. He has been given considerable help (help as in being understanding / sympathetic to his character / personality) He seemed to be thriving. He had started playing responsibly, added passing rather than simply trying to break the tackle/offload every time. He has been playing with a problematic injury for some time. His knee needed a clean out op for example. He was regularly playing 'needled up' This is not an excuse for what has happened because I believe this is a social misdemeanour.

Gareth Hock has not had an easy life but RL kept him going IMO. Wigan RLFC have in the past helped in terms of school issues when he was a teenager and so forth. Do not imagine that Hock is your typical player / petrson in terms of life experiences. He is far from it but that dopes not excuse him.

Kris Radlinski praises the fact that Hock has a friendship circle away from his teamates. Some here are blaming that. Who is right / who is wrong.

Personally, I looked forward to seeing Hock play RL. He was great for England. I can still remember how he destroyed Whitehaven to lay on try after try for Sam T on his debut. The only comparable attacking back rowers play in the NRL. We have lost a player who should have been the cornerstone of better times but you know what it does not matter compared to the welfare of this player.

I hope Gareth Hock does not descend into a sad existence. I hated seeing Green Vigo like he was. My footballing hero was George Best, I hated seeing him as he became a wreck of the man he could have been. I hope Gareth Hock lives a healthy life and maybe return to RL be it with Wigan or another club. There are many other RL players doing exactly the same thing they just have not been caught.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

WELL SAID CPW!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just come home and read a statement about Hock... Haven't had time to read through 11 pages on this thread but:

Oh Dear...

Here we have our World Class star, my favourite player, someone who had the club at his feet someone who we, along with Oloughlin, could build a team around.

Feel sick about this. Genuinely affected me.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

weststand-rich wrote:Hi Mick,

In ten years time:

"Remember Gareth Hock. He could have been brilliant if it wasn't for......
EDIT We are not having those sorts of suggestions left on here.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

read a few posts.

cocaine can help your body be stronger and for some muscle growth I think. Im not naming names but I know of a guy who regularly uses cocaine, regularly flirts with rugby league (widnes, leigh) youth setup but is now in training for a lancashire RU team for their season start (9 weeks) - it is very common among 17-22 year olds and from what he tells me there are several current SL and NL1 players who occasionally use the drug. I dont tell him how to live his life (id be bothered if he used it whilst playing league, but union is gay anyway) it's just crazy.

On Hock: was my idol I await the B sample to warrant any more judgement.

Im a keen cyclist and enjoy the tours (eg le tour...) so it's common for popular cyclists I like to take drugs and be banned (Pantani, Festina team :angry:, Vinokourov) it's the norm (hopefully Astana will be clean this year) but for someone on your doorstep, in your c=game, your club, your - i suppose - idol to have failed a test, it is truly shocking.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

primrose-n-blue wrote:
weststand-rich wrote:Hi Mick,

In ten years time:

"Remember Gareth Hock. He could have been brilliant if it wasn't for......
Deleted
:lol:

Please don't quote such stuff.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Cp, your right, my previous posts are more out of sheer frustration that such a talented player has been involved in the shite that is drugs.

I'm looking to point a finger somewhere when the issue lies with gareth.

The club need to somehow try and get to the bottom of why this has happened can they do anything to prevent it or maybe spot any signs etc
TEW in many ways what you said was right. Maybe even we as fans have a role to play. Professional clubs need to have very high standards and they need to do whatever they can to educate their players as whole people. They do have programmes etc whether or not the standards / often not written are rigorous enough who knows.

Nevertheless, there will always be cases like this because whatever system is in place human nature is not perfect. I will be creating another thread on a paradox that the more I think about the more I cannot get my head around it.

Do we as fans build young men up far too quickly and pat them on the back far too readily. If you are a very good junior in Wigan amateur RL it is very easy to get carried away with everyone telling you how good you are.

As far as Gareth Hock goes I have spoken to one or two people today who know the family and they all say that the family are in a state of shock and terrified what may happen/become of their son / brother etc.

I have to say the responses / posts in this thread by so many people have been incredible. Incredibly mature. Incredibly considered and thought provoking. Everybody concerned deserves a huge rap because event like this can become farcical in terms of response. Some of the posts on here are so fantastically uplifting that I am considering printing them off and giving them to the Hock family.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

MOD: Sorry p'n'b has now been banned.