Gareth Hock

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warriors18

Re: Gareth Hock

Post by Warriors18 »

I'm still devastated about this news. Not only because I fear for Gareth's health, but also the Wigan Club and iut's image, and also on the playing side of things, Gareth has been our most potent attacking threat.
I have read all of the posts on this topic, and can't help but be intrigued by Gareth Hock and his own personal life. I know some reliable sources on here have breifly skimmed over events in Gareth's life without going into too much detail at all, however i wonder what it is that has happened in his past this makes him succeptable to going off the rails?
My thoughts do go out to him, however taking drugs can't be condoned.
Gareth has been at Wigan since the age of 12 i believe, and even though we as a club can't justify his actions, 13 years of loyalty to Wigan deserves some care from the club, even if he does get banned, i would expect Wigan RLFC to look out for Gareth and provide the support he needs.
jammie

Post by jammie »

from the people i have been talking to about this weeks events with gaz hock,quite a number claim to have witnessed first hand sl players from a number of clubs taking recreational drugs on nights out.if this is the case then we have a wide spread problem within our game.should we as a club take a lead and test ALL our players for drugs, or should the rfl insist that EVERY player takes a test to weed out the offenders.i know we run the risk that some high profile players could test positive,is that a risk worth taking to clean up the games image or will it do more harm than good?any thoughts....
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What you are being told Jammie is correct.

It is more common across society than we assume too.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:What you are being told Jammie is correct.

It is more common across society than we assume too.
Well with the 1 million users figure on the radio that is 1 in 61 on average. Of course that includes tjhe Grannies and small children as 61 million is the estimated total population so in the adult populace it will be a higher average.

Not sure if that is any significance re Hock or not given he is (was) in a group that ought to be aware doing drugs was liable to land him in trouble more so than the average person.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jammie wrote:from the people i have been talking to about this weeks events with gaz hock,quite a number claim to have witnessed first hand sl players from a number of clubs taking recreational drugs on nights out.if this is the case then we have a wide spread problem within our game.should we as a club take a lead and test ALL our players for drugs, or should the rfl insist that EVERY player takes a test to weed out the offenders.i know we run the risk that some high profile players could test positive,is that a risk worth taking to clean up the games image or will it do more harm than good?any thoughts....
If we did it would be interesting to see if we had a situation like Bath where several players resigned rather than submit to it. (I think that is what happened).

I doubt the RFL could afford to test all players each week. It is also just not practical.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

unrelated to ock but read in The Times today that cocaine dealers are finding going tough due to crack downs (excuse pun) in stopping Cartels reaching their good to Britain (800 tonnes last year but thats a drop in the ocean). Some dealers are using as low as 3-15% pure crack it's getting increasingly hard to get
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Word has it that we will be hearing of a few more players from other clubs that have been caught.
jammie

Post by jammie »

i was meaning more of the rfl doing a one off dope testing blitz at one round of super league without warning,were every player would be required to do a test after that pirticular game.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

thunderclap

Post by thunderclap »

hock is innocent till proved guilty by the second test
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

thunderclap wrote:hock is innocent till proved guilty by the second test
'ello Gareth

although correct in a way it seems it is 97% likely he is in the wrong.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame