Karmichael Hunt

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Karmichael Hunt

Post by cpwigan »

Morph wrote:
What startles me is how many people believe that it is unrealistic for Wigan RLFC to sign world class players.
I don't agree with that. I think most Wigan fans demand we sign world class players, unfortunatley most Wigan fans can also see that with Ian Lenagan in charge we aren't going to sign world class players anytime soon, unless there's some baggage with them.
Morph I guess that is the acid test. In the opening post I offered the IL link where he states they are interested in world class players. Here is a an opportunity to prove or disprove the doubters right or wrong.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

pieater-alex wrote:
Our forwards? Are they so bad?
Props? If the props do their job then no need for anybody else.
Take it you didn't watch our forwards get steam rolled against Bradford then?

Our forwards have been an issue for the last two years. Certainly last year and more so this year. Andy Coley is our best prop forward at the moment and yet Saints and Warrington want him as their fourth choice prop. Speaks volumes doesn't it? He's been an okay player has Andy Coley. Certainly not in the league of the best props in the league.

How does our best prop compare to:

James Graham
Jamie Peacock
Adrian Morley
Tony Puletua
Sam Burgess
Andy Lynch
Jason Ryles
Jerome Guissett
David Ferriol
Gareth Carvell
Mick Vella

Not well.

Stuart Fielden is a shadow of his former self and gets dominated in every tackle.

Feka has his short bursts and is probably the only player to give us real good go forward although at Bradford he was tackled by the legs every time and was ineffective.

Paul Prescott and Eamon O'carroll are two good young props. But can't carry the pack by themselves and needs some experienced hard nuts ala Pongia, Craig Smith etc to help take some of the pressure off their shoulders.
We certainly do not need to be signing any back rowers.
I disagree.

We have a very young squad and in particular a very young but promising set of forwards. I think it is crucial for their development that they have experienced professionals around them to look up to and to take some of the weight off their shoulders so they can show what they can really do. We saw with Lee Mossop on Sunday how he struggled playing a big, touch and experienced Bradford pack alongside a very young Wigan pack. Joel Tomkins (22) Harrison Hansen (23). I don't think we can afford to lose Phil Bailey and Gareth Hock - and just have Sean O'loughlin with young kids. Saints are so successful in bringing youngsters through because they have a good environment and the right squad to do it. We have seen the results they have had and we need to do the same.

I don't think we should re-sign Bailey I think we should replace him though with someone with experience (which Bailey has) but of better quality. Bailey is just a solid player, which is not a bad thing but from an overseas player (even though he will come off the quota) you expect better and I believe he is one of our top earners. Six figure salary I have heard from people on this board. He is not worth that.

David Kidwell and Frank Puletua are both off contract and would be ideal. They wont come cheap but with Phil Bailey's and Gareth Hock's wages we should be more than capable of being able to afford one of these players while being able to re-sign our best youngsters. Now I understand it is really easy to just throw names into the hat and there is much more to it bringing one of those players over. Visa being granted, past injures, if they want to come over, will they settle etc etc

So if for whatever reason we can't bring in anyone this season then we can't just release Bailey and go with Mossop, Tomkins, Hansen and Lockers for me. We need an experienced head to take some of the pressure off the young lads. So only on an one year extension and (if rumours are true) a reduced salary would I re-sign Bailey. We are better off with Phil Bailey for a season, if we can't find a replacement than releasing him and not finding a replacement and just throw all the kids in with a young pack.
Currently we commit a huge % of our cap on props. It makes no sense to increase that %
If it improves the squad in areas we need to strengthen then we must. I pressume your talking about Feka and Fielden? Right now there is little we can about that and have to wait till next year. But we can with Andy Coley, Gareth Hocks wages as well as Phil Baileys (both six figure wages) I think that should free up some space?

If you need to improve in one area and have the salary cap space to do so then bloody do it! Just because Feka and Fielden are on big wages shouldn't make a difference. We will deal with that one next year.
Re Hunt. If he is prepared to go to Japanese RU then clearly rep honours are not the overriding factor in determining his future
Of course not. But a move to super league it would definitely be a factor.
If he went to South Sydney then clearly his wage demands are within reach of RL clubs.
Or maybe RL clubs are prepared to throw stupid money on one player? South Sydney have been reported to be offering him $1.5 million over two years. That's 750K for one year. Which to the pound comes out at around 370K a year.

Is it wise to be spending so much on one player? Regardless of his ability under the salary cap?

What startles me is how some fans think its realistic to throw such amounts of money at one player when we have a salary cap.
Do all fans want to become clones of the cowardly cruncher on RLfans.
You really need to stop bitching about people from rlfans. It's pathetic and makes you look like a fool. A bet you wouldn't have the balls to say half the stuff you say on here to peoples faces.

The irony you call him a coward.
Warrington signed Andrew Johns (short term), Matt King, Monaghan.
And look where that has landed them? Have they won a trophy? Have they come close to winning a trophy?
Saints signed Puletua
Do you honestly believe he would cost as much as Johns, King, Monaghan, Hunt,Barrett?
Given you are a child I will excuse your stupidity. You know very little but have a propensity to think and act otherwise.

Did you watch the Bradford game? Steamrolled? LoL They won the game with a pack minus Lockers/Hock and Bailey for most of the game. Yes the props are not dominant for 80 minutes but steam rolled? It is a crying shame he cannot do it for longer but the most influential prop was Feka as Geoff rightly points out by creating tries. I would have Burgess wearing the Cherry n White like a shot but he was on / off fairly frequently himself. I felt Fielden let himself down post getting smashed by Burgess. Did Prescott get steam rolled? Do you actually understand what you are saying? inferring? You are so insulting to these players, would you say it to their faces lol

You are actually the problerm players like Mossop face at Wigan RLFC. Ignorant fans. Please do not offer Kidwell as a suggestion. Bailey who I am not fan is far better. You really want Wigan to sign a backrower that is finished? How often does he play for Souths? Exactly.

Mossop did okay v Bradford. He certainly showed he could play SL for Huddersfield. His runs v Bradford were strong. His handling let him down but show me a player that never made a mistake and he sits on a chair typing on an internet forum. In his parents house? defence. He tried too hard but made tackles.

Joel was as good if not better than any Bradford backrower. Who steamrolled Hansen? He made his tackles and hit ups.

As for Rlfans you infantile fool. I Believe the said poster comes on here and then passes comment elsewhere. Is that not cowardly? Me, whatever I say here I would say to a player, to a person face to face, in person. You clearly have no idea who you talk to. I have a basic philosophy if you are not prepared to say something in person do not publish it. Right or wrong if I see something in public I feel is wrong I challenge it. I always have. Unlike you and many others.

Back to the subject. Fullbacks are vital in RL today. A world class fullback is available. One would hope Wigan RLFC are at least in contact with KHunt and doing what they can to sign him.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

cpwigan wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:
Our forwards? Are they so bad?
Props? If the props do their job then no need for anybody else.
Take it you didn't watch our forwards get steam rolled against Bradford then?

Our forwards have been an issue for the last two years. Certainly last year and more so this year. Andy Coley is our best prop forward at the moment and yet Saints and Warrington want him as their fourth choice prop. Speaks volumes doesn't it? He's been an okay player has Andy Coley. Certainly not in the league of the best props in the league.

How does our best prop compare to:

James Graham
Jamie Peacock
Adrian Morley
Tony Puletua
Sam Burgess
Andy Lynch
Jason Ryles
Jerome Guissett
David Ferriol
Gareth Carvell
Mick Vella

Not well.

Stuart Fielden is a shadow of his former self and gets dominated in every tackle.

Feka has his short bursts and is probably the only player to give us real good go forward although at Bradford he was tackled by the legs every time and was ineffective.

Paul Prescott and Eamon O'carroll are two good young props. But can't carry the pack by themselves and needs some experienced hard nuts ala Pongia, Craig Smith etc to help take some of the pressure off their shoulders.
We certainly do not need to be signing any back rowers.
I disagree.

We have a very young squad and in particular a very young but promising set of forwards. I think it is crucial for their development that they have experienced professionals around them to look up to and to take some of the weight off their shoulders so they can show what they can really do. We saw with Lee Mossop on Sunday how he struggled playing a big, touch and experienced Bradford pack alongside a very young Wigan pack. Joel Tomkins (22) Harrison Hansen (23). I don't think we can afford to lose Phil Bailey and Gareth Hock - and just have Sean O'loughlin with young kids. Saints are so successful in bringing youngsters through because they have a good environment and the right squad to do it. We have seen the results they have had and we need to do the same.

I don't think we should re-sign Bailey I think we should replace him though with someone with experience (which Bailey has) but of better quality. Bailey is just a solid player, which is not a bad thing but from an overseas player (even though he will come off the quota) you expect better and I believe he is one of our top earners. Six figure salary I have heard from people on this board. He is not worth that.

David Kidwell and Frank Puletua are both off contract and would be ideal. They wont come cheap but with Phil Bailey's and Gareth Hock's wages we should be more than capable of being able to afford one of these players while being able to re-sign our best youngsters. Now I understand it is really easy to just throw names into the hat and there is much more to it bringing one of those players over. Visa being granted, past injures, if they want to come over, will they settle etc etc

So if for whatever reason we can't bring in anyone this season then we can't just release Bailey and go with Mossop, Tomkins, Hansen and Lockers for me. We need an experienced head to take some of the pressure off the young lads. So only on an one year extension and (if rumours are true) a reduced salary would I re-sign Bailey. We are better off with Phil Bailey for a season, if we can't find a replacement than releasing him and not finding a replacement and just throw all the kids in with a young pack.
Currently we commit a huge % of our cap on props. It makes no sense to increase that %
If it improves the squad in areas we need to strengthen then we must. I pressume your talking about Feka and Fielden? Right now there is little we can about that and have to wait till next year. But we can with Andy Coley, Gareth Hocks wages as well as Phil Baileys (both six figure wages) I think that should free up some space?

If you need to improve in one area and have the salary cap space to do so then bloody do it! Just because Feka and Fielden are on big wages shouldn't make a difference. We will deal with that one next year.
Re Hunt. If he is prepared to go to Japanese RU then clearly rep honours are not the overriding factor in determining his future
Of course not. But a move to super league it would definitely be a factor.
If he went to South Sydney then clearly his wage demands are within reach of RL clubs.
Or maybe RL clubs are prepared to throw stupid money on one player? South Sydney have been reported to be offering him $1.5 million over two years. That's 750K for one year. Which to the pound comes out at around 370K a year.

Is it wise to be spending so much on one player? Regardless of his ability under the salary cap?

What startles me is how some fans think its realistic to throw such amounts of money at one player when we have a salary cap.
Do all fans want to become clones of the cowardly cruncher on RLfans.
You really need to stop bitching about people from rlfans. It's pathetic and makes you look like a fool. A bet you wouldn't have the balls to say half the stuff you say on here to peoples faces.

The irony you call him a coward.
Warrington signed Andrew Johns (short term), Matt King, Monaghan.
And look where that has landed them? Have they won a trophy? Have they come close to winning a trophy?
Saints signed Puletua
Do you honestly believe he would cost as much as Johns, King, Monaghan, Hunt,Barrett?
Given you are a child I will excuse your stupidity. You know very little but have a propensity to think and act otherwise.

Did you watch the Bradford game? Steamrolled? LoL They won the game with a pack minus Lockers/Hock and Bailey for most of the game. Yes the props are not dominant for 80 minutes but steam rolled? It is a crying shame he cannot do it for longer but the most influential prop was Feka as Geoff rightly points out by creating tries. I would have Burgess wearing the Cherry n White like a shot but he was on / off fairly frequently himself. I felt Fielden let himself down post getting smashed by Burgess. Did Prescott get steam rolled? Do you actually understand what you are saying? inferring? You are so insulting to these players, would you say it to their faces lol

You are actually the problerm players like Mossop face at Wigan RLFC. Ignorant fans. Please do not offer Kidwell as a suggestion. Bailey who I am not fan is far better. You really want Wigan to sign a backrower that is finished? How often does he play for Souths? Exactly.

Mossop did okay v Bradford. He certainly showed he could play SL for Huddersfield. His runs v Bradford were strong. His handling let him down but show me a player that never made a mistake and he sits on a chair typing on an internet forum. In his parents house? defence. He tried too hard but made tackles.

Joel was as good if not better than any Bradford backrower. Who steamrolled Hansen? He made his tackles and hit ups.

As for Rlfans you infantile fool. I Believe the said poster comes on here and then passes comment elsewhere. Is that not cowardly? Me, whatever I say here I would say to a player, to a person face to face, in person. You clearly have no idea who you talk to. I have a basic philosophy if you are not prepared to say something in person do not publish it. Right or wrong if I see something in public I feel is wrong I challenge it. I always have. Unlike you and many others.

Back to the subject. Fullbacks are vital in RL today. A world class fullback is available. One would hope Wigan RLFC are at least in contact with KHunt and doing what they can to sign him.
"The said poster"??? :lol:

Is that the way you're teaching them to speak in Blackpool these days? Do you think that'll make your pupils feel as self-important as you do?

No, sorry ... this board's always good for a bit of rumour-mongering. But as it's now become your personal domain, the chit-chat side of things doesn't appeal.

Mind, don't let that stop you giving another of your tedious essays in response. You can even quote the coaching manual and pretend it's all your own ideas. You know, like you used to on RLFans - that'll make your post look even better.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Managed to get you out of the cowardly corner at least. Looks like nobody agrees with you either on RLfans. Just to appease Alex anybody is welcome to know who I am, where I live etc etc. I do not hide my identity or go behind a proxy.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

On topic;

I would feel that K Hunt should be a target for us, of course dependant on price but should we have the ability he is worth pushing the boat out for.

You only have to look at the facts, our last stem of success came in the radlinski era, st helens success they have had wellen's, leeds have had webb and smith.

People are sometimes blinded into thinking full back is just another position, if i had to choose 1 position on the pitch where i could place a superstar it would be full back. How many tries does webb score or create simply from kick returns. How many times does wellens take all the pressure off his team with beating first man. Do you really think catalan would of been as good as they where last season without Greenshields even though they have one of the most dominant packs in the business?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

cpwigan wrote:Managed to get you out of the cowardly corner at least. Looks like nobody agrees with you either on RLfans. Just to appease Alex anybody is welcome to know who I am, where I live etc etc. I do not hide my identity or go behind a proxy.
At least that was succinct. Shows there's a first time for everything.

For 'nobody' I guess you mean your man on the inside.

:lol:

Still, despite your pontificating, it's good to see that you also lurk on other websites. What would a preacher be if he wasn't also a hypocrite, eh?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I suggest you read the posts after your sly dig on your beloved forum. Hence the nobody statement. Good to see you plucked up a little more courage. Not going well for you on RLfans these days is it. One needs to be more discerning as to which posters you read and follow etc.

WiganForeveer never a truer word said. The fullback is a pivotal position in modern day RL. Often more than a stand off. At the very least on a par.
superleague

Post by superleague »

lol its like jeremey kyle on here :lol:
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

In Brisbane last year (for the world cup), it was rumoured that Hunt would only come to super league for a 7 figure salary, As I said cannot confirm source as it was posted on a forum simular to this one
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

cpwigan wrote:I suggest you read the posts after your sly dig on your beloved forum. Hence the nobody statement. Good to see you plucked up a little more courage. Not going well for you on RLfans these days is it. One needs to be more discerning as to which posters you read and follow etc.
Hmmm ... I wish I had as much courage as the keyboard warrior who specialises in being rude about the wives / gilrfriends of other posters - from the anonymity of the internet.

Still, I don't wish to give the impression that I'm interested in having a conversation with you. I'm just letting you know that I'm still around and will pop back on here from time to time, whenever your famous attitude starts to get out of hand.