Come on folks. Credit where it is due

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Come on folks. Credit where it is due

Post by cpwigan »

The referee was outstanding. Referee of the year.
GeoffN

Re: Come on folks. Credit where it is due

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:The referee was outstanding. Referee of the year.
You are turf and I claim my £5.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

CP - speaking of "credit where it is due"

How do think Phelps went tonight?

And I am not implying that he is suddenly a world class fullback or we should sign him for the next ten years. I just thought that he played well tonight; both in attack and defense.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Matthew already praised him in the match thread. Best game yet. What did you think of the referee?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Bentham was OK - there were a couple of mistakes; however he wasn't the difference between the sides.

Considering how many penalties that Leeds (and especially Maguire) gave away; I was surprised/disappointed that he didn't even warn Sinfield about the bin.

Amos was wrongly penalised for playing the ball from a completed tackle (landed on all fours, lifted his arms off the floor; grabbed by Leeds players)

But on the whole I thought he had a good game.

BTW - I've just read your comments in the match thread - but I take it you guessed that I was only having a bit of banter! :D
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I put myself up to be shot Matthew. Phelps could have done better for the Donald try but other than that he was perfect. Even made one or two breaks.

I thought the referee added to the game. It flowed, it was clean and tidy. He made some really good calls.
botica

Post by botica »

He still wasn't consistant in the holding down messing around at the play of the ball area...

but he didn't change any outcome which he has in the past... Did you hear the boo hiss around the stadium as he warmed up around the edges it was cool how it just followed him like a swarm of bees.....
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

botica wrote:He still wasn't consistant in the holding down messing around at the play of the ball area...
Totally agree, a 60 penalty game would have been much more entertaining!!! :doz:
turf

Post by turf »

I was a bit apprehensive earlier this week that Bentham was chosen to referee this fixture.

How was the VR - Mr Ian Smith?

Any controversies there.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He had a very hard call in the lead up to the Hansen try Turf. Bentham was outstanding. Wigan won the penalty count 2 to 1 and our fans still complain :)

Referee of the Year IMO Turf.

Got you down for young referee thought Turf. Hope you are having a good holiday.