Re: All Credit To Brian Noble

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

LKC29 wrote:Like or loathe Noble you have to admitt that come the business end of the season he does seem to have the formula to get us playing well, as demonstrated in all his previous seasons.
Luck more than judgement IMO.

For example the fact Smith has been injured has kept Sam in the side which has meant the half backs and hookers are not all swapped about as they were being when Riddell went off.

The musical chairs to accommodate Riddell going off, TL to 9, Smith to 7 and Sam to 6 has gone.

So despite MM's injury we are more settled in 4 key positions than they way Noble chose to play the side when Smith was available.

Would Noble have continued with this formation or as GeoffN said dropped Sam as he did for the HKR game? I think so. No evidence to the contrary.

So one major gripe I and many others had about Noble's selections went away all because Tim Smith suffered a season ending injury, not by Noble's design.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My personal criticisms of Noble would be that he is too loyal to players and staff to the point it becomes detrimental to his own success and his club. In return for that excessive loyalty he gets people telling him what they think he wants to hear rather than what he should hear. He has 'possibly' made some errors of judgement on signings and been too reluctant to utilise young players. I say possibly on signings because nobody knows who decides what re signings IMO. We do know that our youngsters are by a large better than most at other SL clubs and at worst on a par with the best SL clubs. It is the one great advantage we have IMO and it is important a coach uses it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I'd suggest that Smith's injury is the one thing that might just save Noble's job, and has certainly saved our season, at least in part.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bradford would welcome him back with open arms!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I actually think Noble would go very well at Hull
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Inheriting another side.
ian b

Post by ian b »

GeoffN wrote:
ian b wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Maybe a change of coach at this time of the season is not a good thing.
My concern is that Noble inherited an extremely successful team from Brian Smith & Mathew Elliot.
He just continued on with their success, having the best of players to choose from.
He wasnt blessed with that calibre of team when he came to Wigan, and to me it shows.
Some of his team selections have been strange to say the least, especially earlier on in the season.
A genuine coach would not pick his buddies ahead of better performing players, or suddenly change his team selections just because senior players spit the dummy out at not being picked.
Success of a club is deemed on the silverware the team collects.
As yet, we have none under Noble.
Lets hope it all changes by the season end.
I am still on the fence.
The last 2 or 3 coaches have only had to tweek what is a well oiled engine at stains (as much as i hate to say it !!)and yes Noble was in the same position at Bradford,but i still believe the problems have been more deep rooted and blaming the coach i think is out of order.The team selections have been odd at times but maybe you have to tinker about to find the right balance?.
But what about tinkering to spoil any balance that had started to apper? Why, for example, did he drop Sam T for the HKR game that we lost, after we'd just won 4 straight with Sam in the side?
Dont know mate and i suppose sometimes you change a team depending on who you are playing and i guess he just makes mistakes like any of us but hopefully he will get it right :eusa10:
stanf

Post by stanf »

I totally agree, its about time people stopped slagging Noble off and got behind the team.

Give him a new contract I say! We've had to many changes of coaches in the past and what good has that done us. Let Noble finish the job he started, lets face it he's done a lot better job than agent Millward
ian b

Post by ian b »

God wrote:Its getting abit tetchy on here isnt it cor :lol: :lol: Its like handbags at 12 paces.

Heres my view, not that anybody gives a rats ass, but anyway.

Start of the season we were poor, not as bad as some, but poor all the same "Not Wigan standard" is the term i would use amongst fans that are used to seeing a different style of coaching.

We were then up and down midway through the season again sometimes playing decent stuff but in some eyes "Not Wigan Standard" other games toilet, Catalans away springs to mind.

A few players get injured, a player drags the name of Wigan RL into the gutter, all of a sudden we are beating sides with commitment,determination,agression and skill both from Nobles tactics and coaching and our players playing like we all expect.

Everbody associated with the management of the club and also the playing staff alike are responsible for the crap dished up this season, not an individual or a collective of people. Everybody is now singing off the same song sheet, a bond like ive not seen at this club for along time has emerged, if anybody cared to reas Kris Rads book will read the part about egos, its fair to say the egos at this club have taking a massive hammering.

Its taken something big and nasty to transform this club, how long it will last is up to both BN and the players. Credit is due to everybody, not an individual or a group of players. Coaches get it wrong from time to time just because we can see it doesnt meen to say BN does, players have a resurgence in a time of togetherness otherwise they become stale and uninterested no matter what motivational skills you have. The right blend of players and there attitudes is also key to a great side despite skill and strength. Saints and Leeds dont have World class players the World Cup saw that, its there bond as a team that makes them difficult to beat.

Over all i say keep the togetherness and bond going as players and give B.N another 2 years and see what this brings us. I bet we win something.
:thum:
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

ian b wrote:
God wrote:Its getting abit tetchy on here isnt it cor :lol: :lol: Its like handbags at 12 paces.

Heres my view, not that anybody gives a rats ass, but anyway.

Start of the season we were poor, not as bad as some, but poor all the same "Not Wigan standard" is the term i would use amongst fans that are used to seeing a different style of coaching.

We were then up and down midway through the season again sometimes playing decent stuff but in some eyes "Not Wigan Standard" other games toilet, Catalans away springs to mind.

A few players get injured, a player drags the name of Wigan RL into the gutter, all of a sudden we are beating sides with commitment,determination,agression and skill both from Nobles tactics and coaching and our players playing like we all expect.

Everbody associated with the management of the club and also the playing staff alike are responsible for the crap dished up this season, not an individual or a collective of people. Everybody is now singing off the same song sheet, a bond like ive not seen at this club for along time has emerged, if anybody cared to reas Kris Rads book will read the part about egos, its fair to say the egos at this club have taking a massive hammering.

Its taken something big and nasty to transform this club, how long it will last is up to both BN and the players. Credit is due to everybody, not an individual or a group of players. Coaches get it wrong from time to time just because we can see it doesnt meen to say BN does, players have a resurgence in a time of togetherness otherwise they become stale and uninterested no matter what motivational skills you have. The right blend of players and there attitudes is also key to a great side despite skill and strength. Saints and Leeds dont have World class players the World Cup saw that, its there bond as a team that makes them difficult to beat.

Over all i say keep the togetherness and bond going as players and give B.N another 2 years and see what this brings us. I bet we win something.
:thum:
why not give him the freedom of the town as well

:eusa9: :eusa17: :eusa7:
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White