Match Reaction Thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big ref wit' glasses

Re: Match Reaction Thread

Post by Big ref wit' glasses »

The main thing wrong with Wigan today and for the most part of the last few seasons is lack of quality. There is an absence of quality players only three players at Wigan who can be argued to be of international quality on current form are Pat Richards, Sean O'Loughlin and Sam Tomkins and none of this trio are used in the correct manner. Sean is a brilliant defender yet he is used mainly as a ball handler and kicker, Pat never seems now to get a running chance ge is potentially our best finisher yet he never seems to be outside an overlap. Sam Tomkins is an outstanding footballer yet there is far too much responsibility on his young shoulders due to us not having another organizer in the team. Sam cannot perform miracles all the time.

Most of the other players even those with alledged big reputations constantly underperform and make far too many mistakes than should be expected from full time proffesional players, this was again evident in todays semi final.

A lot of the blame for this state of affairs must lie at the door of Brian Noble our basic tactics are poor and too predictable. Our entire attacking effort at times seems to be lying flat and trying to bash up the middle, we never do anything different to take advantage of other teams weaknesses this is poor quality coaching.

The scoreline today flattered Wigan we by far more than 13 points worse than Warrington they were a well coached, well motivated team containing quality players excecuting a game plan that was capable of winning a semi final while we were a poorly coached, poorly motivated shambles with very little skill and no game plan.

Fortunatly Warrington are a good example of what can be achieved on the back of good coaching, the players that embarrassed us today were almost the same bunch that couldn't buy a win at the start of the season under James Lowes, yet a quality coach as come in and improved them tremendously.

This is what Wigan needs a top quality Experienced NRL coach who has a in depth knowledge of modern coaching methods. Lennegan should now try to move heaven and earth to recruit one and then we could start to make progress.
BriH

Post by BriH »

sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

jaws1 wrote:Just watched the replay and the turning point for me was when our starting props were replaced by Fielden and Feka ,Fekas defence is awful.Fielden and Feka are not helping the side whatsover its time for drastic action.
Completely agree. Once again Brian Noble's tactics and judgememt have been called into question. The one good thing that came out of yesterday was that Noble's contract may not now be renewed. However, with the current setup and salary cap problems at the club, we may struggle to attract someone of the right callibre to replace him.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Susi

Post by Susi »

I agree with a lot that has been said on here. As I 'm always sayin I want to see a team full of wigan lads in an ideal world. Our chairman advocates this. My big question is why the heck does he not tell the coach. Nobby played unfit players put unnecessary subs on. We were stuffed by a team we should and probably would have beaten. Had he left well alone. Will ainscough ever play 1st team this year. I doubt it . Them young uns save his bacon then in probably one of our most important games he drops em like hot cakes. May as well let group of fans coach there better ideas than his. Yes i'm still mad at result. We shud av beaten them. Out smarted by better coached and commited side. :conf:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

sheepdip wrote:
jaws1 wrote:Just watched the replay and the turning point for me was when our starting props were replaced by Fielden and Feka ,Fekas defence is awful.Fielden and Feka are not helping the side whatsover its time for drastic action.
Completely agree. Once again Brian Noble's tactics and judgememt have been called into question. The one good thing that came out of yesterday was that Noble's contract may not now be renewed. However, with the current setup and salary cap problems at the club, we may struggle to attract someone of the right callibre to replace him.

The coaches wages do not come into the salary cap.I get your drift with the players cap meaning we have no scope to buy players .If Wigan said tomorrow that Nobles contract is not being renewed then it thrown open to applications who knows who might take up the post.I had every respect for Noble when he first came to Wigan relegation battle etc but we have not moved on from there.The deferred payments and Fieldens wage meant that with the salary cap we could not progress as we should. .IMHO i cannot see any change to Wigan playing staff for the next season unless we relase Bailey and use his wage to sign a good forward play Mossop in the first team squad .Feka and Fielden to Orrell.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

jaws1 wrote:
sheepdip wrote:

The coaches wages do not come into the salary cap.I get your drift with the players cap meaning we have no scope to buy players .If Wigan said tomorrow that Nobles contract is not being renewed then it thrown open to applications who knows who might take up the post.I had every respect for Noble when he first came to Wigan relegation battle etc but we have not moved on from there.The deferred payments and Fieldens wage meant that with the salary cap we could not progress as we should. .IMHO i cannot see any change to Wigan playing staff for the next season unless we relase Bailey and use his wage to sign a good forward play Mossop in the first team squad .Feka and Fielden to Orrell.
I henestly think that if there was a coach like Tony Smith at Wigan, a coach who picks a team on merrit and not because of the players name, then Wigan would be pushing very hard for the Grand Final.
We have young players who have played already, and done an excellent job into the bargain.
The likes of Farrel, Davies & Thornley hav'nt been given a chance in SL yet, but I bet they would fare well under the right guidance.
ellery 4 coach

Post by ellery 4 coach »

why which 1st teamer did smith drop yesterday for a youngster
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

ellery 4 coach wrote:why which 1st teamer did smith drop yesterday for a youngster
Smith didnt have to drop any first teamer.
He just picks his team based on their performances, not their name.
Smith studies his opposition, in depth and tries to attack what he sees as their weaknesses.
The rest is history my friend.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

[quote="captinjack"]Just got back from Widnes. From what I saw the point, very simply, is that Warrington were the best team, with the best coach. Our glory days will have to wait a lot longer until changes take place at the JJB.quote]

I know, we'll start by renaming t'Athletics ground the DW Stadium
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

I believe our worst player by a country mile was Feka his defence is worst than useless and I believe it was warringtons plan for them to ittack him. I dont believe he made 1 takle and was responsible for putting us on the back foot,he is a luxury we cant afford.I also blame Noble for not realising that in hot and tirring conditions Feka would be of no use to us,he looked tired as soon as he came on.Why drop Mossop who has really impressed in deffence and stick with a player who cant deffend.Who ever watched saints game can see it was strong Huddersfield deffence which won that game, and we should have done the same against Warrington