lockers/roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: lockers/roberts

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:It's a strange thing duty of care at Wigan RLFC. It only applies to players under 21 :D
I know what you mean CP.
In life, as you know with your mode of employment, and with mine in construction, "Duty of Care" applies to us all.
If we dont use it properly, it even means we can end up sitting in front of the fellow with the white wig in the court too.
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Having been at the game and now watched the recording twice I think only one of our senior players can hold his head up and that was Coley. None of our big name players turned up and I include Pat and Tommy in that. It was all left to the younger players and they did not have the experience to change the tactics used against us.

Sam never stopped trying, does he ever, but I think he did not have one of his best performances and I am not blaming him for that. I have felt for some time that Feka is a luxury and I do not think Fielden deserves a place but for me the biggest waste of space on Saturday was Gleeson, where was he. Again I am not criticising lockers but he was poor because he was not fit.

Wire are not that good a team but they deserved the win because they out thought us but there were times when we were running through them and making good yardage
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true what you say Kel. Even Flannagan coming on improved the team.
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

emperorkel wrote:Having been at the game and now watched the recording twice I think only one of our senior players can hold his head up and that was Coley. None of our big name players turned up and I include Pat and Tommy in that. It was all left to the younger players and they did not have the experience to change the tactics used against us.

Sam never stopped trying, does he ever, but I think he did not have one of his best performances and I am not blaming him for that. I have felt for some time that Feka is a luxury and I do not think Fielden deserves a place but for me the biggest waste of space on Saturday was Gleeson, where was he. Again I am not criticising lockers but he was poor because he was not fit.

Wire are not that good a team but they deserved the win because they out thought us but there were times when we were running through them and making good yardage
I agree with most of what you say but to say FEKA is a luxury is a vast understatement he was useless and a complete waste of a interchange place and I for one would not play him again unless he gets 100% fitter and loses a lot of that excess weight he was that bad he reminded me of Karl Pryce.
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

One of the stand out points for me last season was watching the way Barrett made use of Joel Tomkins unfortunately we don’t have anyone capable of doing that at present and so it looks as if Joel has gone backwards but the talent is clearly there.

I think Coley has played well recently but on Saturday, and at Murrayfield, something really wound him up his levels of aggression were far higher; there was anger in his performance.

How sad that we have had to rely on injuries and other misdemeanours to force Nobby to play the kids but I suppose in a few more years when those kids are taking us back to the top Nobby will sit back and claim it was all his doing, I don’t think he can see the wood for the trees.
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

platt-warrior wrote:Sheepdip what do you believe the qualities are?
The ability to express yourself with purpose and meaning

Good social skills

Be able to motivate

Self awareness

Discisiveness

May be I am doing the lad an injustice and being too hard on him. I may be drawing comparisons with the likes of Greame West, Ellery Hanley, Andy Farrell etc.

"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Lockers has all those in abundance and he's not a bad rugby player either.In fact prior to his injury he was in
MOS form IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why does a captain need good social skills? Ellery was anti-social and Shaun Edwards was very much an outsider.
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

platt-warrior wrote:Lockers has all those in abundance and he's not a bad rugby player either.In fact prior to his injury he was in
MOS form IMO.
I agree he may have been playing well prior to his injury I have never doubted the fact he is a good player. Murrayfield being the exception, earlier in the season we were inconsistent, at times really poor and losing. Since O'Loughlin has been injured we have played well and been consistent. I know everybody will say one man does not make a team and how can I highlight one player. I do honestly believe its not a coincidence.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:Why does a captain need good social skills? Ellery was anti-social and Shaun Edwards was very much an outsider.
Social skills as in the ability to talk to players on the pitch.

It strikes me that Bailey does far more of this than Lockers, as much as I rate him as a player.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."