Play-offs... A waste of time?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
MrDave

Play-offs... A waste of time?

Post by MrDave »

You would imagine at the end of the season when the top eight clubs enter the play-offs with a chance of winning the Grand Final that you would be treated to best rugby league on display and the fans would turn out in force to will their team to Old Trafford.

So far we've seen Leeds hammer Hull KR, an error filled match between St Helens and Huddersfield a slightly better Wakefield v Catalans match and two dire teams in Wigan and Castleford, all topped off with appalling attendance figures.

If you watched the 'double header' on saturday with St Helens v Huddersfield followed by Wakefield v Catalan you would have watched an hours worth of rugby without a try being scored.

I'm not going to write off the new play-off system right away, the next two round could produce thrilling matches with an excellent Grand Final, although I'm expecting tired players struggling against each other next week with a hammering by Leeds or Saints for the winning teams and of course followed by the annual Leeds v Saints Grand Final.
ian b

Re: Play-offs... A waste of time?

Post by ian b »

MrDave wrote:You would imagine at the end of the season when the top eight clubs enter the play-offs with a chance of winning the Grand Final that you would be treated to best rugby league on display and the fans would turn out in force to will their team to Old Trafford.

So far we've seen Leeds hammer Hull KR, an error filled match between St Helens and Huddersfield a slightly better Wakefield v Catalans match and two dire teams in Wigan and Castleford, all topped off with appalling attendance figures.

If you watched the 'double header' on saturday with St Helens v Huddersfield followed by Wakefield v Catalan you would have watched an hours worth of rugby without a try being scored.

I'm not going to write off the new play-off system right away, the next two round could produce thrilling matches with an excellent Grand Final, although I'm expecting tired players struggling against each other next week with a hammering by Leeds or Saints for the winning teams and of course followed by the annual Leeds v Saints Grand Final.
think you make a good point mate but two teams ie:Giants and HKR had injuries and a second chance so right or wrong they might have saved themselves and to be honest if the Giants had shown a bit more enthusiasm and reckon they could have won because stains looked bad,i dont know what you think
MrDave

Re: Play-offs... A waste of time?

Post by MrDave »

If Huddersfield played like they did in the Challenge Cup semi-final they would have destroyed Saints in the play-off match.

After the Saints lost to Catalans I thought they would up their game and really put a show on against Huddersfield. Likewise I thought the Giants would be confident after the Wigan win and play like they did in the semi-final. I thought it would be a play-off game to remember but it's one I would rather forget.

One positive to come out of the play-offs was the young lads who were playing. Larne Patrick for Huddersfield looked a very good player and Luke George at Wakefield looked like he could be a quality winger in the future.