Wigan v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shawxshark

Re: Wigan v Wakefield

Post by shawxshark »

not taking anyhing away from wakey they played really well and we played average at best in attack and we had more leaks than titanic in defence, some one on ones were very poor, although phelps pulled off a belter on tesco i mean morrison 3 meters off line to save try,

i didnt even know martin gleeson was playing, phelps can not defend little stabs through from 10-20 meters. ainscough was poor with that kick into touch, if he plays alot of teams will target him with bombs,

end of day we got a victory, think that TRONC guy was awesome for wakey, how we didnt sign him??
evrything worked for wakey and we was prob at 50%, they will be a hard opposition for anyone this season though on that form :wink:
white elephant

Post by white elephant »

Im glad we didnt play brilliant! we all know what mistakes each player makes because we have all watched wigan last season and the season before and so on. But MM has NOT seen them play a live game, Now he knows what he needs to work on with each player, he will have been making notes all through the game on each of them and will do so at leigh too!

I thought thats what these Trial games were all about? it sounds like some wigan fans would have had him sacked if we had lost :conf:
WIGAN TILL I DIE

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Tronc is a very good player Shaw.

Wakey fans are biggging up Morrison but IMO he like several others in that team will not last a full season and will blow hot and cold.

endoman

Post by endoman »

Some of the speccies are too funny! Bloke behind me, all the game, "you're rubbish, same rubbish etc etc, Bring back Joe Egan! "

It's a pre season trial game, I enjoyed seeing rugby again, and some things were very encouraging, fitness especially, and mental attitude not to give up.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

endoman wrote:Some of the speccies are too funny! Bloke behind me, all the game, "you're rubbish, same rubbish etc etc, Bring back Joe Egan! "

It's a pre season trial game, I enjoyed seeing rugby again, and some things were very encouraging, fitness especially, and mental attitude not to give up.
I honestly do not care if they win or lose these trial games. Sometimes fans get carried away and think it is the end of the world if you lose a meaningless trial game.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Didn't go just waded through the posts. Wigan were at LSV only yesterday on the artificial pitch. We can't read too much into the result it's only a trial game. We've had limited time on grass/astro turf, like all other clubs so it's nice that most didnt expect a thrashing etc...

I expect the defence to tighten in the next two matches... you don't want to get injured or try as hard as you can to stop a try this early in the season and it sounded like for a few scores this happened... hence high scoring.

We just need to hit the ground running against Crusaders.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

cpwigan wrote:Tronc is a very good player Shaw.

Wakey fans are biggging up Morrison but IMO he like several others in that team will not last a full season and will blow hot and cold.
i was with my old man so i was in wakey end and alot of there supporters was worried about him lasting all year, i doubt very much he will but he showed some nice touches,

on one of his missed conversions before he was about to take i was righ on front near our lads and someone in think it was lockers said very sarcasticlly "come on glen" it amused me alot as too when lockers when upto ref and asked about why we'd penalised for 55th time newton said f**k off he's not talking to you curley, then he turned round with a massive grin his face
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Mike wrote:dissent

It was for a late tackle on Riddell the yellow card came out and it looked like the red card came out for dissent after
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

My take up of the match Wakefield s half backs murdered us Glen Morrison was their danger man all the time .Wigan's defense must be tightened up Wigan tried to come down the middle all of the time gave too many penalties away (with a biased ref in charge ).Nothing wrong with the determination of the team it was there for all to see although they looked rusty at times showed true grit to come back and win.Wakefield looked the better and focused team all round there off loading ,kicking and backing up was superb whereas most of our plays was one man rugby when we did fan the ball we scored .As one Wakey bloke remarked "Your in for a long lonely season with that squad you'll win bugger all".I said its not how you start its how you finish its a long season for both teams then.
Its only a trial game now MM knows what he has to do as he has never seen any of the players play .
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

From what i saw:

Defence

Need improvement- we defended to narrow and our sliding def didn't work properly. The players only looked like they wanted to put big shoots in. We don't look interested when a small short or 50/50 tackles is required.

Down the middle we looked strong. But at the back we got caught by kicks which we should not have. I think we made 5 or 6 mistakes trying to return kicks. We still gave too many penalties away- hands in at the play the ball and genral missing around at the play the ball. We let wakey offload the balls too many times. Made work twice as hard for our sealves.

Attack

We created a few opportunitys all taken. i can't remember us bumming too many opportunitys. It is hard for a team when the same half backs are not playing all the way through a game. Feka slim line version can still cause problems. Good to see O'Carroll back in a wigan shirt. Wigan tactics have changed going forward. IN our own half we hardly offloaded and it was effective one man rugby. no frills get out of your own half and then play around a bit. Need to improve our kicking game.

Overall a good run out and a chance for MM to see where we are at. Improvements needed but you never win the title in a pre season friendly.

MM record play 1 won 1. I would take that score line every weeks this season. Wakey played well but we should have known they would get out of the blocks quickly as they have played a trail game more then us.