We need to manage the media hysteria

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

We need to manage the media hysteria

Post by cpwigan »

We are certainly suffering from the whispering campaign re wrestling. Somehow we need to fight fire with fire and put our spin on what referees read/hear. Madge has defended it a couple of times but we need to be even more pro active.
Kiwiseddon

Re: We need to manage the media hysteria

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I quite enjoy watching the other coaches moan. I loved Agars comment after the hull game that it will "drive fans away" he has the stupidity to say that after a game where something like 70 points were scored!! What a puddin'. It's just sour grapes and at present the refs seem to appreciate that what we're doing is legal. But as you rightly point out this may change given the media hype. I actually think that more teams will become more effective around the tackle and the refs will continue as they are now.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
lawson91

Post by lawson91 »

I think the Media hype and comments of opposition managers is through both bitterness and jealousy! I think the opposition just hate! simply hate! the fact we look to becoming the force of old and for this reason, we are going to be under constant criticism throughout the season. To hear of all this jealousy and criticism, i kinda take it as a compliment :D
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

I think Ganson proved what cp said was right, we got penalised for lying on when we were no worse than Leeds. Just because a couple of coaches have made a big fuss. Agar made a fool of himself after the hull game by complaining about our tactics when they ware twice as bad for lying on or wrestling whatever you want to call it than we were.[/b]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I fully agree that it is a back handed compliment, reflection that we are getting back to where we should be etc and makes coaches look bad (N.B in non Wigan fans eyes it makes them honest and excellent).

Not even sure how we do it BUT somehow we need to reverse the campaign and it is becoming just that. Melbourne suffered exactly the same. It struck me Ganson went into last night match with a pre meditated plan to respond to what he is reading / hearing in the media and show Wigan who the boss is. The mentality of Ganson is tht he need to show people he is the boss etc and at the same time because it is popular at the moment gaining kudos in RL as a whole.

At away games it is going to become a real problem. Every tackle Cas fans were screaming last weekwend. Tonight we hardly had the ball for the first 10 minutes. We cannot play without the ball.

The only solution I can think is that the club put together a series of clips whereby the tackles are timed and they illustrate that Wigan players are being penalised for tackles of say 8 seconds when in the same game the opposition are not getting penalised for tackles of 8 seconds. The club should send it to Cummings with a strongly worded document AND take it on one of the media weekly programmes with their own views being publicised. Moreover, that if we are to compete internationally then we need to tackle in a manner that top Australian clubs would do.

The club could even use clips from other matches in the same weekend to show Wigan are being treated more harshly than other clubs.
Salsa Caliente

Post by Salsa Caliente »

As I said in my post on RL Fans, we should ignore the whinging. If it becomes an "official" problem, then we should be concerned. Until then, carry on as we are doing.

If we're not careful, the media is going to sanitise the game to such an extent that all there'll be is one team of 13 on the pitch who'll simply kick off once, score a try without obstruction, kick a conversion without any problem and oh... the game'll have to finish as there'll be no opposition to kick the re-start.

If you don't like the game, there's the door, go and watch them over-paid prima donnas kicking a pigskin around.

:angry:
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I do think it could become a problem away from home.
I think if you get the players pre match in an interview to put a positive spin on our style and just mention problems with the oppositions stile of play ie Wire target the ball at impact, so not moaning just saying how we will have to deal with it then at least we have a chance.
Then if they all say how the tackle technique is legal and if we want to compete against the Aussies that we have to become competent at it, if you throw in how we should play to the same rules as in Aus then at least we start on a level playing field at international level the argument swings in our favour because everyone wants that to happen.
A guarded compliment to the refs, in that they are strong and wont sway to fans calls wont go a miss, we have to play the media game. Tony Smiths an expert, the first half at Wire we got hammered with lack of ball penalties, but Wires attacking the ball went unnoticed, pre match he was going on about speed at the play the ball Mathers did the same very clever.
We need to be proactive not just defend our style, retort the question with who ones of our own, Who are the best Side in the world? how long is it since we beet the Aussies? Have you watched Melbourne play? are they boring or do they play great RL? ect ect.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I agree with gillysmyhero, Ganson definitely gave penalties against us for holding down from the start, when Leeds were as bad.
It may not have been a conscious thing, just that this is all we hear about now, "Wigan are holding down, slowing play" etc.
It is bound to get to refs, especially one as keen to "stamp his authority" as Ganson.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
jobo

Post by jobo »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Ganson played right into wigans hands as far as I'm concerned, he nailed us for holding down and Leeds also but that speeded things up for Wigan to get a roll on more than Leeds.

Leeds where out on there feet in the 2nd half and wigans speed and fitness was excellent.

It's the first time I've seen ganson this year and all in all I thought he was pretty spot on with most of his calls but the lying on decsions certainly put doubt in both teams minds.

It's was the first time I've seen a Wigan side have something extra up there sleeve to counter the calls, the first half we took it back to very simple stuff and calmed everything down and we didn't panic and then pretty much let rip in the 2nd half !
Agree. I'm not banging a drum for Ganson but after seeing the match live last night then having just watched it again, he was pretty much spot on with most of his decisions. Because we won and won well, I could watch the game with a fairly unbiased eye and to be fair, the refs need eyes in the back of their heads as there was loads of gamesmanship from both sides.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Can't wait for that one and it will be a true test of how far Wigan have come.

Just been having a look at the smellys Red V forum and they are all so confident, nothing to fear after last nights match, blah blah blah.

Behind it all though, you can sense that they are are feeling like they are in the dentist waiting room, listening to the drill beginning it's purr.

They are even suggesting that they should rest half of their team against Hud, so they can be sure they're all fit for Good Friday.

Roll on Friday