Liam Farrell Sin Bin Incident

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Linzi

Re: Liam Farrell Sin Bin Incident

Post by Linzi »

josie andrews wrote:Disgraceful very unsportsmanlike, but what do you expect from Leeds players a set of cheats the lot of them.
You'd be naive to think that all players from every team wouldn't try and make it look as though an incident is worse than it really is. I bet there's a 50-50 split with Wigan fans thinking it wasn't and Leeds fans thinking it was a sin-bin. You can't challenge a kicker though, isn't that the rule?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

That player was a Leeds centre, maybe it was Sid Hynes.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

bill.inger wrote: That player was a Leeds centre, maybe it was Sid Hynes.
Thats it :) thanks bill.inger

If you think that was the correct call then you must be naive Linzi. Yes, I know players over react injuries, but the referee, as usual, dictated which team would win.

If two head high shots on the same player BY the same player does not warrant a sin bin or the get out of jail "goin on report", or that the kick in the head to Joel Tomkins by another thug, Senior, does not warrant any other punishment than a penalty then I am sorry you should be watching football because they are the best actors of any sport.

The referee yesterday was not consistent with HIS interpretation of the rules.

That is my opinion on the refereeing display yesterday
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is very unusual for a team to only lose matches when one official officiates. I thought the 2 penaltis after 70 minutes were incredibly pedantic and both took Leeds off their own try line, relieved pressure etc. If people get the chance watch Origin 1 and imagin Bentham or a SL referee refereeing that. They would have destroyed it as a game.
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

cpwigan wrote:If people get the chance watch Origin 1 and imagin Bentham or a SL referee refereeing that. They would have destroyed it as a game.
There was lots of messing about at the ruck there. That was refereed very differently to a normal NRL game. 2-3 penalty count after an hour.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Linzi wrote:
cpwigan wrote:If people get the chance watch Origin 1 and imagin Bentham or a SL referee refereeing that. They would have destroyed it as a game.
There was lots of messing about at the ruck there. That was refereed very differently to a normal NRL game. 2-3 penalty count after an hour.
Big games normally are though. Hence why Bill Hartrigan often got them. IMO a referee should be looking to avoid giving penalties otherwise I would advocate a change to the rules and make some penalties simply a tap from the offence not a kick to touch. A free kick to touch and repeat possession 20+ times in any game is far too much and makes refereeing decisions overly important.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

GeoffN wrote:That's when they're jumping to catch it.
In the NRL players are not allowed to challenge the kicker while their feet are off the ground. Challenging a player catching the ball in the air is dangerous because the player has no control over how they will land so the same should apply for the kicker.

Now I'm not sure the England has the same rule as the NRL but I have just watched the reply and Farrell took Maguire out in the air.
ian b

Post by ian b »

GeoffN wrote:
MrDave wrote:I'm not sure if we follow the NRL rules but as far as I know in the NRL you can not challenge a player who's feet are not on the ground, I've not seen a reply but at the game it appear Farrell took out the kicker in mid air.

Can anyone clear this up for me.
That's when they're jumping to catch it.

It shouldn't have been a penalty though, let alone a sin-bin, as Faz was in mid air when the ball went, and couldn't do anything else. Once he'd given a penalty, though, awarding it where the ball lands (or is caught) is the correct decision.
put money on it he wouldnt have been penalised in australia because their refs are far superior and let the game flow its called common sense i think :exc:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Linzi wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Disgraceful very unsportsmanlike, but what do you expect from Leeds players a set of cheats the lot of them.
You'd be naive to think that all players from every team wouldn't try and make it look as though an incident is worse than it really is. I bet there's a 50-50 split with Wigan fans thinking it wasn't and Leeds fans thinking it was a sin-bin. You can't challenge a kicker though, isn't that the rule?
Absolute rubbish! And factually incorrect to boot - you could join Rob and be a ref!

Sam was nearly decapitated by peacock's high shot which was far worse than Farrell's body check - but spent considerably less time on the ground than maguire; who squirmed about like he was about to expire at any moment. The second the card came out he got up and ran down field perfectly normally.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

For my sins I have watched the game again. I cannot get my head around around;

A) The absurd RFL directive re challenging kickers

B) How any referee / any other player / any fan / ANYBODY can tell you whether or not the actions of another human being are intentional / unintentional.

So you get a sin bin for jumping and marginally catching a kicker but you get the referee telling a player who hits a player across the face, a player who kicks out and cuts a player very close to his eyes (Imagine if God Forbid Joel had been blinded / eyesight damaged) that it is OK as the referees KNOWS it was accidental.

Don't get me started on KEAR