Gleeson, lack of professionalism, non/unfair reaction by fans !!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Gleeson, lack of professionalism, non/unfair reaction by fans !!!

Post by cpwigan »

warrior till i die wrote:looks like the new mathers has been found then!

Gleeson missed one tackle on saturday and this led to a try. However in the build up to lee smiths try we had coley and prescott giving away a penalty, amos knocking on and sam throwing an intercept. But it's gleeson who gets all the critcism.

As far as this rumour about the drinking is concerned, and that's all it is, a rumour, he was actually punished for something lighter than this and it seems as if there has been a case of chinese whispers. Gleeson has been dealt with appropriately by Wane and Maguire and has come back in to the team.

Personally I thought he had a very good game on saturday, he was the one making yards when we needed to take some weight of our pack's shoulders.

It just seems as if some of our fans seem to want a scapegoat and it looks like it's gleesons turn.
:roll: You obviously did not read the thread properly.

AND

What was stated re Gleeson was TRUE no rumour. He was disciplined because of that and what happened thereafter when he failed to take a hint.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

clearly I did read it correctly.

You stated that gleeson deserves some criticism and if any other player had done the same they would have been slaughtered for it. Then it goes on with everyone having a pop at gleese, bar the odd one or two.

Gleeson was dropped for staying out late playing cards, showed up for training on time, didn't show up for training drunk at all!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

For the record Gleeson was not legless when I saw him (although it was early evening and I didn't hang about to see what he was like later).
Perhaps it was a little unfair to say "he was on the piss", however if a poll had been put on here to to guess which player would be seen out on the pop last night I don't think many other names would have figured.
Many of the other players can regularly be found in The Olive Garden on the way to Coppull, nobody has a problem with players going out for a couple of drinks. The problem with Gleeson is that both now and in the past, beer is affecting his training, his performance, and I would imagine, his post match recuperation.

The difference between Mathers and Gleeson is that Mathers was never good enough.
The frustrating thing with Gleeson is that he is good enough, however his lifestyle is affecting his achievements. If Gleeson could perform like Gary Connolly, I would buy him a pint.

Interestingly enough, no-one has mentioned seeing any of our consistent performers "out on the p*ss somewhere else".
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

warrior till i die wrote:clearly I did read it correctly.

You stated that gleeson deserves some criticism and if any other player had done the same they would have been slaughtered for it. Then it goes on with everyone having a pop at gleese, bar the odd one or two.

Gleeson was dropped for staying out late playing cards, showed up for training on time, didn't show up for training drunk at all!
Let me explain it so you can acctually understand. The thread was saying that Gleeson was being treated differwently by fans, more favourably than other players would had they done the same and missed tackles in subsequent matches. Had he been Ainscough or Goulding then it could have seen a career ending.

No. You unfortunately need better sources. Glees went drinking for 7 consecutive days and turned up to training noticeably hungover. He then continued to bwe a pain in the backside for Madge and Wane. Think about it which sounds more feasable and likely to lead to being dropped what I am saying or your trivial misdemeanour.
juanpablo

Post by juanpablo »

Ive heard some crap wrote on here but this has to be the best 7 nights drinking????? where did you get that from? 1 afternoon is more like it!!! Kevin Brown is a 6 not a centre hes 1 of the worse defensive centres in Super League & wont be comming back to Wigan for the same reasons he left & if you know as much as you say you do you know exactly what Im on about, as for the game at the weekend ok he missed 1 tackle but made more yards than any of our other backs, Goulding & Marsh are both very poor defensively & Marsh is a Fullback!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

juanpablo wrote:Ive heard some crap wrote on here but this has to be the best 7 nights drinking????? where did you get that from? 1 afternoon is more like it!!! Kevin Brown is a 6 not a centre hes 1 of the worse defensive centres in Super League & wont be comming back to Wigan for the same reasons he left & if you know as much as you say you do you know exactly what Im on about, as for the game at the weekend ok he missed 1 tackle but made more yards than any of our other backs, Goulding & Marsh are both very poor defensively & Marsh is a Fullback!
Nobody said he would be JP. He talked to Wigan etc and probably used them as a bargaining chip. However, given a family member felt it was possible I take it you know better than his own family?

Brown was a youngster when he was here. Defensively he has improved. He is no turnstile. Similarly, Goulding is not weak defensively and is improving as he gets older. It is possible for players to improve. Marsh, his defence is pretty good. It has certainly not been found wanting despite constantly being played out of position. I agree he is a full back / winger.

Gleeson. Yes it happened. Yes he was hungover at training so much so that the coaching staff noted he was. Since returning from being dropped / disciplined his efforts have been below what they were beforehand. Whatever people think about Gleeson he does not normally miss tackles but he was embarassed 1 v 1 at Crusaders and again at Leeds. So something is clearly wrong!!!
juanpablo

Post by juanpablo »

On this instance it seems like I do yes, as for being hungover in training I would say thats over the top, when so called fans are ringing up sayin they`ve seen players out drinking while out for tea is a little excessive if you ask me, as for Brown defensively hes not improved at all & as I stated he wont be comming back to club because of the same reasons he left, he averaged a missed tackle every game for the 2009 season!!! But I suppose thats an improvement on the 3 a game he missed when he was last "sniffing round" I mean last here.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

So a certain player wasn't sat in the changing rooms at Orrell pissed?

To my knowledge Brown was not involved in such incidents. Somebody went to the Humber for that reason. If Brown is so bad then why is he being mentioned for England (I don't think he will be selected BTW) and why are 2 NRL clubs showing a genuine interest. Wigan have spoke to Brown, another SL club, 2 NRL clubs and Hudds want to keep him. Hopeless players do not attract such interest.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

juanpablo wrote:On this instance it seems like I do yes, as for being hungover in training I would say thats over the top, when so called fans are ringing up sayin they`ve seen players out drinking while out for tea is a little excessive if you ask me, as for Brown defensively hes not improved at all & as I stated he wont be comming back to club because of the same reasons he left, he averaged a missed tackle every game for the 2009 season!!! But I suppose thats an improvement on the 3 a game he missed when he was last "sniffing round" I mean last here.
How many tackles missed does Sam T average per game ;) and I think SAm is a fantastic player. Surely JP you would agree that it is uncharacteristic for Gleeson to be run straight through first v Crusaders and now v Leeds. That is not Martin Gleeson is it. On that basis something is wrong?
juanpablo

Post by juanpablo »

S.Tomkins is not a centre & never will be & he gets moved out wide while we defend where as Brown dosent, Brown missed 33 tacles in 22 games in 09 very poor if u ask me. Sam dose however also average a missed tackle per game aswell, yes your right they are uncharacteristic errors but you cant judge someone on rumours that arent true & 2 missed tackles, I suppose we`ll see over the comming weeks. One thing is for sure sayin someone is a piss head for having a few drinks 4 days before a game is excessive!!!