Gleeson, lack of professionalism, non/unfair reaction by fans !!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Gleeson, lack of professionalism, non/unfair reaction by fans !!!

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:[
As I have said previously. Players are pieces of meat and provided fans / clubs / organising bodies don't have to acknowledge their midemeanours and they do the business on the pitch NOBODY CARES.
But they do care. Fans care about the lives of former players (such as G West being a taxi driver) and they have no time for drugs cheats. If they were just bits of meat lets feed them all steroids.
I made this thread because I was annoyed that a player was being stupid off the field and then on the field he was making uncharacteristic errors. It cost the club / fans hugely but nobody said anything which I found contradictory. Alas fans / human beings are just that.
The actions taken against Gleeson by the club were IMO appropriate and if this is a new way at the club then that is fine by me. What you don't seem to understand is if this kind of discipline had been applied to Hock when he allegedly got away with murder under Noble then he would have been long gone before he got caught out by random testing.

Dave
Fans do not care about players beyond playing. Bar the odd female they pay lip service but all that matters is they produce the goods on the playing field. People chuckled at Green Vigo as a clsssic example.

Hock probably would not have been so stupid in so many ways under a Madge regime. Perhaps the Noble regime was in part to blame. It is clear everybody virtually in the playing squad has improved and are probably more disciplined. So there is every reason to expect Hock will play better and be more disciplined under Madge.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just as a note on this topic which i thought was interesting.

I was watching "a league of their own 2" the other night and first full days training in oz Gleeson turned up over an hour late, the voice over claimed he missed his bus or something but it shows him putting on his boots and he looks hungover
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
GBH

Post by GBH »

Give the guy a break, its what he does on the pitch that matters...
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

GBH wrote:Give the guy a break, its what he does on the pitch that matters...
And when what he does off it affects how well he does on it then Houston we have a problem.
GBH

Post by GBH »

Hes certainly played well in the last few matches....
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

GBH wrote:Hes certainly played well in the last few matches....
Indeed he has but only after getting disciplined and having 2 stinkers. Gleeson is better when fans put pressure on him to behave and play.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
Dave you are very naive.
No I am not. What I do not engage in is double standards.

Apparently according to you all clubs know half their team are on drugs but ignore it yet at the same time will chastise players who turn up late for training with a hangover.

That is what it boils down to.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Dave you are very naive.
No I am not. What I do not engage in is double standards.

Apparently according to you all clubs know half their team are on drugs but ignore it yet at the same time will chastise players who turn up late for training with a hangover.

That is what it boils down to.

Dave
Nobody has said half the players in any team. By all accounts when Terry Newton was found to test positive 4 players from a Championship Club and 3 from another were using the same substance from the same source.

Martin Gleeson was not simply turning up for training with a hangover. It was far worse but we will leave it at that.

You are naive Dave. Clubs / fans only care about results. They might pretend otherwise but that is the reality. Those caught in RL either taking drugs / drinking excess alcohol are a small percentage of those involved.

Anybody attacking other players and decisions involving them is IMO barmy given the career record of Martin Gleeson.