Technical question Re Goulding ball steal?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Technical question Re Goulding ball steal?

Post by doc »

Goulding was brought down short of the line so cannot be a penalty try as he was most definitely not certain to score. The ball was punched out of his grasp in a two man tackle, hence a penalty.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jim it was not a loose carry. Not sure why you think it was. If nobody punches remember punches the ball Goulding scores. He had to move his arm with the ball in order to ground it to score a try but loose no
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

That is my query Mike. I am surmising that the rule changes need to be in the in goal area to apply because otherwise you would be having two different rulings for open field play.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

It definately should have been a penalty try in my opinion. It was a blatent professional foul and Goulding was certain to score. If that isnt one then I dont know what is. If Wigan were losing by 2 points in the last minute then that would have cost Wigan the game. That cannot be right and it seems to have just been glossed over because Wigan won so easily in the end. The rules may have been changed but it doesnt make it right and just a penalty rewards foul play.

If just a penalty was given then Briscoe should have been sin binned. Players are sin binned all the time for holding down etc when a team is likely to score, how is this different? He made absolutley no legal attempt to prevent the ball being put down or to get under the ball, he simply punched it out in a 2 man tackle. If teams now know that punching the ball out of someone hands in a 2 man tackle only results in a penalty then players should try it all the time if someone is going to score. Why shouldnt they, the worst punishment is seemingly a penalty.
mario

Post by mario »

cpwigan wrote:I understand the RFL changed the rule and that you are allowed to steal the ball if a player is in the act of scoring. Is that only in the in goal area or can they do it in the field of play? If they do steal the ball to prevent a try they still conceded a penalty but should that not als be a sin bin - professional foul?
I haven't heard of a rule change, but in the NRL defending players can steel the ball if a player is trying to put the ball down for a try. I seem to remember that is doesn't even result in a penalty.
So if they have introduced it here, the penalty decision would be wrong.
If that wasn't a penalty try then you might as well scrap penalty tries. Absolutely 100% that, that was going to be a try if it wasn't knocked out.
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

It's an ill thought out, contradicting rule. Ahh the RFL, they can always be relied upon to get things wrong.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

If it wasn't a penalty try then we'll never see one given again.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."