Terry Newton

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sam Panapa ate me pie

Re: Terry Newton

Post by Sam Panapa ate me pie »

Very sad news. Sounds like he had a lot to deal with off the pitch.

Does anyone know if there be black armbands/minute's silence on Saturday?

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I would expect some sort of acknowledgment on Saturday. Problem is, the ground will be full of fans from all clubs who will have had a drink or two. Alternative of one minute's applause just seems inappropriate in the circumstances!
Salsa Caliente

Post by Salsa Caliente »

My condolences to Terry's family and friends at this time.

The pride he displayed in wearing his home town and national shirts were matched by the size of his heart which he wore on their sleeves when he played.
chubbybigcat

Post by chubbybigcat »

shocked and deeply saddened- thoughts go out to his family and loved ones- don't know what to say really- i've been feeling sad all day today- rest in peace
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

Kittwazzer wrote:I would expect some sort of acknowledgment on Saturday. Problem is, the ground will be full of fans from all clubs who will have had a drink or two. Alternative of one minute's applause just seems inappropriate in the circumstances!
Just gutted.A true legend.
I hope there will be some sort of acknowledgment on Saturday.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
bikerharry

Post by bikerharry »

kitt green warriors wrote:I know something about this situation but I don't know whether to say something or not, what I know is from his sister in law who is good mates with my wife, can somebody tell me whether to write it or not please.
I would say no. The family will release details when and if they choose.
Very sad news, we were always a better team with Terry on the pitch. My deepest condolences to his family.
R.I.P.
madmags

Post by madmags »

RIP Terry
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Brilliant player, Terrible news.
R.I.P. Terry.

Hope that on Saturday the RFL acknowledge what Terry gave to the game.
I don't think any supporter from any club would spoil a minutes silence for a true great of the game.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Just shocked, stunned and devastated.

An awful tragedy.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

A true great. RIP Terry
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Panapa ate me pie wrote:Very sad news. Sounds like he had a lot to deal with off the pitch.

Does anyone know if there be black armbands/minute's silence on Saturday?
Fans at Saturday's Super League Grand Final will observe a minute's silence in memory of Terry Newton.

Players from grand finalists Wigan and St Helens have paid tribute to the former Great Britain hooker, who was found hanged at his home on Sunday afternoon.

Wigan prop Stuart Fielden, who played alongside Newton for both Bradford and Great Britain, said: "Rugby league is a worse place for not having him around.

"Whatever happened regarding his ban, he was always still a good bloke and a special character.

"I'm gutted and our thoughts are with his family because that's the worst place to be at this minute."

Another ex-Bradford team-mate, Paul Deacon,said: "We travelled together day in, day out for four years. He used to pick me up at my house every day and drive me to training.

"You do get to know someone very closely when you spend three hours chatting every day with them. From my point a view I've lost a great friend.

"Terry is one of those blokes who lit up the game of rugby league. He was a character and there aren't many of those left in the game nowadays with things going so professional.

"He took his training very seriously and played the game tough. For me he needs to be remembered for the right reasons and not for some of the mistakes he made."

Competitor

St Helens vice-captain Paul Wellens, a former Great Britain team-mate, said: "To play against Terry was not only a real challenge, he was the ultimate competitor.

"He would never let anything go, everything he did was 100 percent.

"I had the opportunity to tour with him in 2006 and I got a real insight into Terry the person.

"It really surprised me how much of a good guy and a good bloke he was. I really enjoyed spending time with him on that trip.

"What has happened is a huge tragedy and my thoughts are with his family at what must be a difficult time."

Wigan captain Sean O'Loughlin said: "Terry was a fantastic bloke. He was at the club when I first came through.

"He was a great player but an even better bloke and it's a sad time for everyone who knew him.

"It's a real sickening blow. You don't ever expect to be talking about something like that. It's tough to take. It has hit everybody who knew him hard."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 80,00.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan