Centre

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Centre

Post by Wes »

Right guys lets be honest Marsh and Charnley certainly have the potential to become great centres yet IMO they need 6-12 and 12-18 months respectively being brought through slowly as a luxury, in the meantime we have Carmont and had/have Gleeson if Gleeson goes which is looking ever more likely are there any quality centres about who perhaps we could get a 2yr deal out of????

Consistency is the key! Winning is a habit!
emperorkel

Re: Centre

Post by emperorkel »

I disagree about Marsh becoming a great centre, in my opinion he does not show sufficient awareness of what is going on around him and has tunnel vision close to the line. He always goes for the try himself when there are better options available. This is similar to Goulding and why I dont think he will become a great centre. Charnley on the other hand does have potential but we cannot afford to wait, we need more expeience to replace the loss of Gleason because it will hurt us over the season. Having said that Joel was not bad in the position on Friday.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yes agreed on Joel but he gives better punch in the 2nd row for me! As to the tunnel vision yes I agree again however I think this is due to adapting to the step up rather than risk an error keep hold and get running so to speak, in the few times I have seen him on the under 20's he looks more composed, Ill stick to my original statement and say he will make the step up but in the time frame I had given. Again agree with the loss of Gleeson which is why we need a quality centre on a 2yr deal biggest problem is who??
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Whilst I have personally never been an admirer of Gleeson's off the pitch life style. I admit that he is greatly missed. And the realization that he is a damned good centre. As for young Marsh I cannot see his position being at centre though I do see Josh becoming special with the right coaching (none better than Madge to give him that coaching)his awareness at a young age is to be admired. Just a pity that his confidence will have been dented a little from the loss to Warrington. Though I hate the sight of smarmy cry baby Briers he's the man to put a young centre under pressure. Just pity that cry baby is a Warrington man.Then I would be defending him instead of knocking him.Against a player with less vision than Briers Josh would probably have shone once again. :D
THE 18th Man

Now Its Offical: A New Centre for 2012?

Post by THE 18th Man »

do you think we will sign a new centre or promote both Charnely and Marsh if Carmont retires or trial Joel there for 5 or 6 games or buy someone else?

just thought while its offical i would start a who's next in number 3 thread
Kittwazzer

Re: Now Its Offical: A New Centre for 2012?

Post by Kittwazzer »

The way Charnley and Marsh are coming on, and with the other talent in the reserves, I certainly wouldn't be panicked into an expensive overseas import. I know Tony Clubb has been mooted but, according to Quins fans, he can't tackle a big dinner. In fact they rate Karl Pryce above him! :lol:
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Come the middle of July, WE'll have Gareth Hock in the starting thirteen, Joel in the centres and Lima, if available,(tongue in cheek) in the subs. Hock can now see that all he's got to do is get match-fit and the automatic first choice start is his for the taking. Joel, given time, will become a solid grafting centre and lets face it, Amos has had time-a-plenty to prove he's lost it. Who's going to sell a quality centre mid season to Wigan, not even Salford would do that with Rachford and Joel fits the bill perfectly, but of course that's obvious to us.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

With stefan having 'tunnel vision' is he worth trying out on the wing especially with his amazing speed ?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I think some threads need merging!
irishwarrior

Post by irishwarrior »

id rather have kris welham than tony clubb