Re: Sam Tomkins: Fullback or Stand-off?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sam played 7 all his junior career. He was very small. The Coyles were both older and played with Joel and above. James is the elder. IIRC James is 1 year older than Joel and Thomas is the same age as Joel.

Sam played 7 for Fisher and Brett Robinson who ws a year younger played 6. Robinson, Liam Farrell played in Sam's year despite being a year younger.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:Sam played 7 all his junior career. He was very small. The Coyles were both older and played with Joel and above. James is the elder. IIRC James is 1 year older than Joel and Thomas is the same age as Joel.

Sam played 7 for Fisher and Brett Robinson who ws a year younger played 6. Robinson, Liam Farrell played in Sam's year despite being a year younger.
Thanks for that cp, I thought he did but I knew you would know :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

I only watched this weekends game on SL show but from what I saw we only looked dangerous when Sam was 1st or 2nd reciever, was this the general pattern for the whole game?

Sam is a great full back but only as a luxury, when we have a full team we can get away with him at the back choosing when he wants the ball but at present we do not have a full team so I think he should be playing at 6 for the forseeable with tommy and mickey mac splitting the hooking duties.

I know this causes issues at full back but I would try Marsh at full back with Paddy on the wing if this didnt work simply switch the 2, just my pennies worth.

P.s as hes just as good in both positions when circumstances allow I have not cast a vote.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I sometimes think that it is not a question of what position but rather the tactics employed. We seem to have reverted to what every other team tries to do and that is to go around the outside which if that is all you do then defence can drift and cover far more readily.

Options have to be genuine options and threats need to be real. Is the term dummy runner such a bad one, shouldn't every runner be a potential pass?

Trent would deliberately take the defensive line on early in matches to make defenders then stop thereafter and think is he going to run it himself, of course having achieved that he would then start passing the ball much more but he had set the defence in 2 minds.

Anybody remember the great 80's / 90's team had a ploy where a forward would run a line and raise their hands up to the sky to signal they were a dummy runner but they actually were the pass receiver.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

he's better at fullback as long as he's getting the right ball!!!

the problem this year is not sam at 1 but the fact the halves have changed nearly every week. when deacon was fully fit last year he was releasing sam bang on cue!!!

people are saying we look mare dangerous with him at 1st/2nd receiver but that because everyone else has been so rubbish!!!

we need more go forward and deacon back and we'll see the best of Sam!
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

yeah went to school with robbie n faz yeah breet was a bigger unit than sam still is but coyley is two years older than me and im 20 going on 21 n joel is same age as my girlfriend making him 24
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

and in the juniors brett even though he was a big prospect at 6 was pushed into hooker.. saw him other week he said he was still playing hooker now at oldham