Tony Rea anyone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Re: Tony Rea anyone!

Post by BriH »

Never! Has to be Shaun Wayne - tried and tested. If he needs some help on the technical side I am sure he will get probably from Madge.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I find it hard to fathom fans saying Shaun Wane needs more experience etc. He will be drawing his pension by the time some fans think he is ready! He is older than Madge and more experienced than Madge. I am suprised Madge got through the door with some fans.

The only negative I have heard re Waney is that sometimes when you have been assistant you become too close to the players often playing good cop to bad cop Head Coach. Personally, I have no doubt Wane can play hard ball should the need arise.

I do think Waney needs 2 or 3 assistant coaches, probably starting with Deacs if he retires at the end of the season. The assistant IMO need to be future head coach material.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The aspect that worrys me is IL knows Rea and it is an easy option. I do wonder sometimes how much free time IL has to spend upon Warriors matters and whether or not that is the reason rumours/incidents seem to run and run. The debate over our previous coach exemplified that and this season re Gleeson.

Unless, a coach has very current NRL experience I am not sure what Rea would offer. I do think we need a bigger coaching tem to allow assistant/head coaches some felxibility to keep up to date with the NRL and other sports.
Wes

Post by Wes »

As far as Tony Rea is concerned we should leave him alone, its unfortuntate that when our club or any fans club needs a coach that every one who is available is rumoured to be having the job.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

cpwigan wrote:I find it hard to fathom fans saying Shaun Wane needs more experience etc. He will be drawing his pension by the time some fans think he is ready! He is older than Madge and more experienced than Madge. I am suprised Madge got through the door with some fans.

The only negative I have heard re Waney is that sometimes when you have been assistant you become too close to the players often playing good cop to bad cop Head Coach. Personally, I have no doubt Wane can play hard ball should the need arise.

I do think Waney needs 2 or 3 assistant coaches, probably starting with Deacs if he retires at the end of the season. The assistant IMO need to be future head coach material.
I agree.
Wane for Coach, send Deacs to understudy some Aussie coaches for a few months, and bring Lam back with him whiles he at it.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We do not have many but it would be an idea to have some of the old heads doing some coaching of U15/U16 and U18. Fielden? Coley? Hansen? Carmont? Lockers?
Jake

Post by Jake »

I hope this is just paper talk,I will be gutted if Shaun Wane does not get the head coaching job.